Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-25-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearly_Canadian View Post
I just bought a 2017 2SS. After signing the dotted line and driving it home for the first time, I was SUPER annoyed by the drone. SO MUCH DRONE. This is my first Camaro so I assumed it was just normal. I also assumed that I would be able to adjust it with the NPP option once I figured it all out in the following couple days. I parked it and grabbed a flashlight to look under the car and see if my flaps we always open. To my surprise, there where no flaps. In fact, there were no mufflers. Then to top it all off, my check engine light popped up. I took it to the closest dealership to get it the light checked and he informed me its all Cat related. I HAVE NO CATS EITHER!! F*&K me!!!

My fault for not doing better diligence, but this sucks. I set off alarms in my parking lot at 4am. (this was why I wanted the NPP for adjustability) So if this is your goal, straight pipe it. Just be warned DRONE, SO MUCH DRONE and backfire when its cold. LOUD!!
Sounds perfect lol
Old 05-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #16
Thadius

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro SS 1Le
Me, went with Texas Speed headers w cat delete. Kept the stock mid x pipe and threw on an AFE axel back set up. This accomplished a few things
1. Sounds modest but rumbly when in touring mode (closed NPP valves )
2. Sounds like a damn race car when they are open. And I mean rowdy!!)
3. No awful drone
4. Black tips for a black car!!
5. Was the least expensive way to get power, best sound and keep the npp functionality.

Warning, you'll need to tune it. Its smells like exhaust without cats and its not cheap. [ around 2200 all in including headers exhaust and plugs].

If you didn't get the headers take 900 off that price and its pretty reasonable.
Thadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 PM   #17
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Get the Corsa Xtreme catback and call it a day.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #18
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadius View Post
Me, went with Texas Speed headers w cat delete. Kept the stock mid x pipe and threw on an AFE axel back set up. This accomplished a few things
1. Sounds modest but rumbly when in touring mode (closed NPP valves )
2. Sounds like a damn race car when they are open. And I mean rowdy!!)
3. No awful drone
4. Black tips for a black car!!
5. Was the least expensive way to get power, best sound and keep the npp functionality.

Warning, you'll need to tune it. Its smells like exhaust without cats and its not cheap. [ around 2200 all in including headers exhaust and plugs].

If you didn't get the headers take 900 off that price and its pretty reasonable.
Just dead curious because I'm in the market for making my SS more modest, do you ever worry about warranty? I want to mod mine but I'm very worried about what may happen with the A8 and warranty.

Quote:
I just bought a 2017 2SS. After signing the dotted line and driving it home for the first time, I was SUPER annoyed by the drone. SO MUCH DRONE. This is my first Camaro so I assumed it was just normal. I also assumed that I would be able to adjust it with the NPP option once I figured it all out in the following couple days. I parked it and grabbed a flashlight to look under the car and see if my flaps we always open. To my surprise, there where no flaps. In fact, there were no mufflers. Then to top it all off, my check engine light popped up. I took it to the closest dealership to get it the light checked and he informed me its all Cat related. I HAVE NO CATS EITHER!! F*&K me!!!

My fault for not doing better diligence, but this sucks. I set off alarms in my parking lot at 4am. (this was why I wanted the NPP for adjustability) So if this is your goal, straight pipe it. Just be warned DRONE, SO MUCH DRONE and backfire when its cold. LOUD!!
Isnt it illegal for a dealership to sell a car that does not meet emissions requirements?
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:19 AM   #19
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Just dead curious because I'm in the market for making my SS more modest, do you ever worry about warranty? I want to mod mine but I'm very worried about what may happen with the A8 and warranty.

Isnt it illegal for a dealership to sell a car that does not meet emissions requirements?
We don't have emission restrictions in BC, Canada anymore. But The dealership called me today to inform me they will return it to stock for me. We will see how that goes. For now, she is parked on the street away from the neighbors. She's grounded for not playing nice with the others. Her official name is Persephone - the goddess of the underworld. hahaha
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:23 AM   #20
BWAYNE2008

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Have had different exhausts on different vehicles over the years - Magnaflow, Corsa, Solo Performance, etc. I’ll probably get the flowmaster w/ npp valves for my Camaro. The Hurst Elite Series axel back is the same exact system as the flowmaster and cheaper, but no one has it in stock. If I ever want louder, I can add the flowmaster x pipe for cheap. https://youtu.be/hiy9tam11nc
BWAYNE2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:21 AM   #21
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
We don't have emission restrictions in BC, Canada anymore. But The dealership called me today to inform me they will return it to stock for me. We will see how that goes. For now, she is parked on the street away from the neighbors. She's grounded for not playing nice with the others. Her official name is Persephone - the goddess of the underworld. hahaha
dealer sold my cammed 12 no problem with it. had headers and high flow cats and a nys trooper detective bought it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #22
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Absolutely illegal for them to modify a car like that and sell with no mufflers.

Your call but I would do this.

To replace the entire stock exhuat from the primary cats back would be at least several thousand dollars. Since there was clearly a hack job on the exhaust, I would not settle for them doing another hack job to install mufflers.

In that case, the entire exhaust would need to be replaced.

If you are interested, I would price out an aftermarket cat back exhaust that is a match to your car (NPP and/or AFM) and tell the dealer to cut you a check for that amoj t along with a reasonable installation cost.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
Absolutely illegal for them to modify a car like that and sell with no mufflers.

Your call but I would do this.

To replace the entire stock exhuat from the primary cats back would be at least several thousand dollars. Since there was clearly a hack job on the exhaust, I would not settle for them doing another hack job to install mufflers.

In that case, the entire exhaust would need to be replaced.

If you are interested, I would price out an aftermarket cat back exhaust that is a match to your car (NPP and/or AFM) and tell the dealer to cut you a check for that amoj t along with a reasonable installation cost.
I like where your head is at. I will run this by them today. The dealership did promise they would make it right no matter what.
Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #24
jcastag

Drives: 2017 Camaro FIFTY 2SS
Quote:
I like where your head is at. I will run this by them today. The dealership did promise they would make it right no matter what.
my guess is they are going to try to weld mufflers in..I woudl not allow that. I would tell them it needs to be like "factory" which means an entire new exhuast from the cats back.

if you want to go aftermarket..leverage that cost.
jcastag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #25
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
dynomatting the bejesus out of your trunk area makes the car behave like it should have from the factory when it comes to eliminating drone/reverb/rattles that come from the exhaust / rear deck speakers.

Like night and day. Covered the entire trunk floor (including areas behind the false walls), and wheel wells and bottom of the rear deck. So much annoyance has been resolved by doing that.

Not a solution to driving around with straight pipes ...but seriously, anyone not a professional drag racer would benefit from adding a lot of sound deadening to the trunk ....where it should have been from factory to begin with.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
Clearly_Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcastag View Post
my guess is they are going to try to weld mufflers in..I woudl not allow that. I would tell them it needs to be like "factory" which means an entire new exhuast from the cats back.

if you want to go aftermarket..leverage that cost.
I just don't know what to do with the missing cats. They said they have the old ones from the previous owner they can put back in along with the original muffler. I am ok with that. However, I am second guessing if I want them to or not. If the cat delete doesn't give me the nasty drone, and I can figure out how to eliminate the CEL without a tune I would be happy with leaving them out. It is just the CEL and drone that is driving me loopy. From what I have read recently, the cat delete doesn't cause drone. The lack of mufflers does. Correct me if I'm wrong please.

I just really want the original NNP actuators, valves and exhaust working the way they did from the factory. At least that way I can upgrade the exhaust down the road with something with the actual valves working.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:54 PM   #27
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
You may want to make sure the car was equipped with NPP in the first place.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #28
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madghost View Post
Morning Gents,
need some suggestions as to what route to take or things to keep an eye out when purchasing an exhaust for my 2018 2ss Camaro. I want it to put out a louder sound of "Freedom" aka more aggressive rumble sound. Any suggestions?

Pretty sure their are woman here too......

Gotta be PC!
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote