Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-23-2021, 10:59 AM   #15
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer713 View Post
It was a little tricky to remove. Hopefully, this pic helps. I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to make room for the tow hook.
Good idea, and with the grill section off, the hook looks way off center in relation to the cutout section
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:01 AM   #16
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
#3702 here as of this weekend.

The ZL1addons tow hook is nice. https://zl1addons.com/collections/camaro-tow-hooks

I have the GT4 hook on mine.

It has a shaft that goes into the OEM location. The hook goes on/off with a 10mm hex. So you can leave the grille cover on when the hook is off.
Zl1 add ons “ may not” be hood strength wise. Saw one that fell apart, but was several years ago. Aerospace concepts has a hood one
Old 03-23-2021, 11:25 AM   #17
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Zl1 add ons “ may not” be hood strength wise. Saw one that fell apart, but was several years ago. Aerospace concepts has a hood one

Not sure how a piece of billet could 'fall apart'.

If you are referring to the hinged hooks, I'm not a fan of that design in general, as there are more pieces to fail if you actually need it.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:35 AM   #18
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Not sure how a piece of billet could 'fall apart'.

If you are referring to the hinged hooks, I'm not a fan of that design in general, as there are more pieces to fail if you actually need it.
Well obviously not the billet part. The hinge area I believe. I liked the flat one pc. Type I had on my fifth gen, though it was a permanent fixture, which was fine with me
Old 03-25-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
R2R martini

Drives: SS 1le coming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer713 View Post
It was a little tricky to remove. Hopefully, this pic helps. I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to make room for the tow hook.
yes it helps. thank you
R2R martini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 07:45 PM   #20
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
the zl1 addon hook has an adjustable circular metal ring which makes the screw shorter and allows it to stick out of the zl1 1le version of the car a little further thus clearing the front facia of the grille. The question is, how much of that screw still has to be screwed into the camaro to tow, before it becomes an issue? Maybe that's why you saw 1 explode? in the past? Because it wasn't installed correctly? Or are you claiming the zl1 addon tow hooks are all defective? What's the story?
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 10:00 AM   #21
BCT6956

Drives: Camaro ZL1
What’s the deal with the tow hooks? I understand we need them if we are to be towed. Having them exposed all the time? Is it just me me or is this a trend in need of fading out. These aren’t recovery vehicles.
BCT6956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2023, 07:26 PM   #22
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCT6956 View Post
What’s the deal with the tow hooks? I understand we need them if we are to be towed. Having them exposed all the time? Is it just me me or is this a trend in need of fading out. These aren’t recovery vehicles.

It's good common courtesy if you track your car to have a tow hook, some clubs require them. It makes it quicker to get your car off the track in the event of an incident and allows the session to restart quicker.

Street car..... Poser
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #23
Thestormoverkrynn

Drives: Camaro Zl1
Not sure what kind of tow hook you have, or about your front grill... But the tow hook i bought from zl1 addons has a small washer like screw that is adjustable with an alen key. This allows you to screw it into the hole at the front of the camaro, and when tightened if adjusted properly should clear the front facia of your camaro without issue and leave enough of the screw in to be able to tow.
Thestormoverkrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2023, 09:33 PM   #24
D_H

Drives: '19 Camaro M1SS1LE
Where's the tab for the screw driver? Can you show me in the pics?
Old 09-25-2023, 12:02 PM   #25
Rayvan
Rayvan

Drives: 2018 1SS1LE, Silver Ice Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post
It's good common courtesy if you track your car to have a tow hook, some clubs require them. It makes it quicker to get your car off the track in the event of an incident and allows the session to restart quicker.

Street car..... Poser
At Thunderhill, the safety crews come out and check your cars. If you don't have one, that's okay, but (I quote) "We reserve the right to handle your car any way we have to, including damaging it if you don't have a tow-hook."

I put mine in after that, but I do remove it after trackdays. On a pre '19 model, it's pretty easy to pop out the grill piece.
Rayvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:07 PM   #26
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
pro tip from experience, use a little blue loctite and get your stuff set straight. Mine would vibe loose and be crooked.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 06:41 PM   #27
dting22

Drives: '23 Chevy Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_H View Post
Where's the tab for the screw driver? Can you show me in the pics?
Here (photo).

There is a notch that you can push a plastic trim removal tool or a flat-head screw driver. Push IN toward the radiator, and the lever action of the tool will pry the top of the access hatch down and out. Look also at the bottom of the trim piece as there is a plastic tab that locks the bottom of the hatch in place.

You'll notice that the ZL1 add-ons tow hook does actually "fit" with the unaltered hatch piece in place. There is enough flex in top fin of the hatch to allow you to pop the piece back in place. However, as you can see from the photo, it leaves a small gap between the top of the access hatch and the rest of the bumper. I'm considering whether to do the Dremel sanding drum mod to remove the small gap. I'd like to avoid modifying the original trim piece if possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by dting22; 09-28-2023 at 10:10 AM.
dting22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2023, 06:48 PM   #28
dting22

Drives: '23 Chevy Camaro 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCT6956 View Post
There's a reason beyond track day for why we Camaro drivers should consider mounting a tow hook permanently: getting the access hatch open in order to install the factory tow hook is a real PITA. Sure, once you figure out how to do it, it makes sense. But if it's a rainy or freezing day (the kind of conditions where you might find yourself spun off the side of the road), hunting around for a trim removal tool and flashlight and fumbling around in the dark trying to install the tow hook seems like a problem worth solving with a permanent track-day hook.
dting22 is offline   Reply With Quote