Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #29
RCF

Drives: '17 2SS, NGM, MRC, DPP; '19 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
bignaz: Did you read my thread...posted specifically to help others and myself at the time? The intake does nothing for HP...dyno chart below comparing completely stock car (the 405 HP), another with the GM intake (and tune), and mine at 75 HP low. This was the same day, same dyno, and within an hour or from start to finish.

I've got other charts with more HP loss...kept getting worse. The intake tune corrected the issue. Possibly a freak situation, but the don't expect much return on investment for power...sound - yes.

No worries - just offered one example of "it didn't work."

That sucks man, but your issue was definitely more than not having had the
CAI tune done. Maybe they screwed something up in the ECM if/when they did it during the CAI install (sounds like it as you said the issue was only at WOT, as O2 sensors correct for proper AFR when at part throttle). But the difference between the two “tunes” is not that big, certainly not enough to cause those AFR’s or issues. Whatever it was, glad they finally got you straightened out!

I installed my GM CAI myself when they first came out, and drove it a few days prior to getting the “tune” (MAF reading correction only, not really a tune) done. I had zero issues, no CEL’s, etc.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 AM   #30
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
If it was that easy to make 20hp, GM would have done it from the factory. What intakes like these do is remove the silencing that the normal intake system has, so you "hear" the engine/intake more. Then, when you hear the response more readily to your throttle input, you think: "better throttle response", "more power", "faster"...etc. Since the engine is not under pressure, like a turbo or supercharger, it's dependent on the compression ratio of the engine and the ECU to decide how much fuel to dump in there. On the turbo cars I've had, you only need to go to a short-ram/CAI when you significantly up the turbo PSI, as in adding a bigger aftermarket turbo with all the supporting mods (injectors, exhaust, pump, etc...). You can do quite a bit of tuning with the stock intake and make significantly more HP. The reason is the intake is not the limiting factor unless you are pumping out WAY more HP, as in attempting to cram way more fuel and air into the engine. Now, you can legitimately buy these for sound or maybe how it looks in the engine bay, but be realistic about it. I bought one for another car and it ended up being a "hot air intake" any time the car was stopped, because the engine bay is not a cool place. That car had an inlet temp reading on the tuning software I was using, so I could see this.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #31
ac-427

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS Redline Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimharrell View Post
Well do you really need the tune? Like is it worth to wrestle the dealer? If I have it shipped to the dealer, ask for a copy of the directions?
I purchased mine online and installed it myself. Instructions were included. After installation, I made an appointment with the dealer to get the unit programmed. In the end, I saved quite a bit from retail on the GM CAI by buying online and avoided labor charges. Installation was reasonably easy as the instructions are good and the tools required are simple. As far as "needing the tune" is concerned, I wanted to eliminate warranty issues.
ac-427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #32
GroundhogSS

Drives: '17 2SS convertible'20 Yukon Denali
If you get the GM or RotoFab intake, I recommend getting the sound tube delete. Sounds better inside the car now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3d-Printed-...kAAOSw7stc5wVL

Delivered: 08/15/2016

#TeamBeckyD

GroundhogSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 PM   #33
Lazerbrainz2k3

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS - M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
If it was that easy to make 20hp, GM would have done it from the factory. What intakes like these do is remove the silencing that the normal intake system has, so you "hear" the engine/intake more. Then, when you hear the response more readily to your throttle input, you think: "better throttle response", "more power", "faster"...etc. Since the engine is not under pressure, like a turbo or supercharger, it's dependent on the compression ratio of the engine and the ECU to decide how much fuel to dump in there. On the turbo cars I've had, you only need to go to a short-ram/CAI when you significantly up the turbo PSI, as in adding a bigger aftermarket turbo with all the supporting mods (injectors, exhaust, pump, etc...). You can do quite a bit of tuning with the stock intake and make significantly more HP. The reason is the intake is not the limiting factor unless you are pumping out WAY more HP, as in attempting to cram way more fuel and air into the engine. Now, you can legitimately buy these for sound or maybe how it looks in the engine bay, but be realistic about it. I bought one for another car and it ended up being a "hot air intake" any time the car was stopped, because the engine bay is not a cool place. That car had an inlet temp reading on the tuning software I was using, so I could see this.
This.

Modern air boxes are REALLY, REALLY good at efficiently sucking in as cold a charge of air as possible, because they have to be - in the race for the best performance over the competition they can't afford to leave much on the table. Maybe they don't look like much (aside from those in the recent Z/28 and Boss 302), but the engineering that goes into them is top notch.
Lazerbrainz2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #34
jimharrell

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundhogSS View Post
If you get the GM or RotoFab intake, I recommend getting the sound tube delete. Sounds better inside the car now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3d-Printed-...kAAOSw7stc5wVL
How does it sound better without the sound tube?
jimharrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:59 AM   #35
Skyjogger

Drives: Colorado ZR2 (2.8 DIESEL) Camaro SS
Ill chime in mine came from dealer with GM performance intake installed this dealer seemed very competent. I asked multiple times about tune and was told that is only for emissions and does nothing for power. They also had multiple ZL1's and 1LE's this dealer seemed to have it going on.

I spoke to the tech and he showed me a dyno chart with a 8HP gain at the wheels on a 1SS same car same dyno within 15 minutes apart.

They already had it installed and it only cost me an extra 300 dollars so I kept it on the car.
Skyjogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #36
GTASS1LE

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Out of curiosity, has anyone weighed the stock vs. GM Performance CAI?
GTASS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 12:31 AM   #37
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyjogger View Post

I spoke to the tech and he showed me a dyno chart with a 8HP gain at the wheels on a 1SS same car same dyno within 15 minutes apart.
You do realize on a 455hp engine there's a 50/50 chance that you'll see an increase in HP when you dyno it two times in a row doing absolutely nothing?

8hp is "in the noise" unless you have a lot more data to show that is consistent.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:10 AM   #38
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
If you look at the factory Air box it already pipes cold air from the front lower grill. GM makes no claim of HP gain by installing their CAI kit.. and rightly so. If you want more sound from under the hood or like the looks better it’s a good buy.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #39
Skyjogger

Drives: Colorado ZR2 (2.8 DIESEL) Camaro SS
I'm not claiming anything just giving my observation I don't care one way or the other it is a much better filter element and can. Theoretically flow more cfms so there is that wether there is a hp I have no idea Dyno charts do show a small one though
Skyjogger is offline   Reply With Quote