Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #1
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Hurst Billet/Plus shifter with stock knob for Camaro SS

Hurst has just sent me a Billet/Plus shifter for use with the stock knob! I'll be installing it on my '17 Camaro SS and provide details on the installation and my feedback on the shifter overall. It's identical to their current Billet/Plus offering (currently available with white ball or pistol grip), except the upper stick has been modified to accept the stock knob. I'll plan to post before and after pictures and maybe a video as well showing the shift throw differences.

The stock SS shifter feels less direct/mechanical and more "rubbery" than my '00 Z28's factory Hurst (with aftermarket stick). I'm very excited to improve this!

Here's a quick preview of the package contents, which includes their current shifter (3916031) and prototype stick on the right. Looks like a very high quality and well built unit! Stay tuned!
Attached Images

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
vtirocz

Link to Hurst's current Billet/Plus offering: http://www.hurst-shifters.com/produc...&sm=492&e=5920

Link to instructions: http://files.dpbrands.com/hurst/inst...ns/3916031.pdf

Old 02-19-2018, 10:52 PM   #3
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
I’ll be following this. I actually like the classic ball shifter, just would like it more in black instead of white. The white kind of stands out in an all black interior.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 PM   #4
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
i love mine. the provided pins were my only hang up. they fit so perfect that it was tough for me to get the transmission side in there. other than that, smooth sailing once you get everything out of the way.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:03 AM   #5
Dubchitts

Drives: '17 Red hot 2ss, 16 Focus RS
I really hope it's just the stick that you have to order and not the whole shifter kit

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Dubchitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #6
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Subscribed , has any one installed these with out a lift just jack stands? Also be sure to see if it noticebly shorter shift or just less rubbery as you described thanks
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
I really hope it's just the stick that you have to order and not the whole shifter kit
Since you already have the existing Hurst unit, it appears the upper stick is the only difference. I’d contact Hurst to see if they’d sell just that part if you’re interested in keeping the stock knob.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
Subscribed , has any one installed these with out a lift just jack stands? Also be sure to see if it noticebly shorter shift or just less rubbery as you described thanks
I plan to install it in my garage with no lift. The shifter’s 40% reduction in throw will definitely be noticeable. The prototype upper stick is a little longer though (both are pictured above), so that % reduction in throw may come down a bit. I’ll need to get feedback from Hurst on the exact #.

I’ll plan to post a before and after video rowing through the gears so you can see the difference in throw.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #9
Dubchitts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6 softtop View Post
Did mind on jack stands. It's not too bad. When you depress the springs in those pins try to pull them really fast. When I did they didn't catch halfway through and came out in one try

Afe Air Filter//BMR MM010 Motor Mounts, Safety Loop//Custom OTR Intake//Flex Fuel Kit//Gforce 3.5" Aluminum Driveshaft//GM 95mm TB//Katech Oil Pump, Piston Squirters//Kooks 1-7/8 LT//LT4 Fueling//Mighty Mouse Wild//Monster Clutch LT1-S Triple Disc//MSD 2-Step//Pray Performance Custom Spec Cam, Ported Holley Hi-Ram//Sikky 12" Shifter w OEM Knob Mod//Tick Level 1 Tr6060//Labor by Me//Tune By Pray Performance
Old 02-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #10
sschons74

Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado C10
Did mine on jack stands too, it wasn't too bad except for those darn pins, not Hurst's fault but GM's. I'm gonna contact Hurst and see if they will sell just the upper stick for stock knob for those of us who already have the kit.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubchitts View Post
Did mind on jack stands. It's not too bad. When you depress the springs in those pins try to pull them really fast. When I did they didn't catch halfway through and came out in one try
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
Did mine on jack stands too, it wasn't too bad except for those darn pins, not Hurst's fault but GM's. I'm gonna contact Hurst and see if they will sell just the upper stick for stock knob for those of us who already have the kit.
Thanks for the tip regarding the pins!

I must admit that the white ball does look pretty sweet in person and feels like the perfect size. I originally was not a fan, but now think it looks really good. However, I think I still prefer the stock knob.

Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 PM   #12
HurstPerformance

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2016 Camaro SS
We look forward to hearing your impressions and seeing your progress!
HurstPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:55 AM   #13
Dubchitts

Update?

Old 03-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #14
vtirocz

I finished the install this past Saturday and overall very happy with the results! I'd like to thank the Hurst team for listening to our feedback and providing us with another option to use their excellent Billet/Plus shifter with the stock knob. The Hurst shifter provides a very short, precise, and mechanical shift that's immediately noticeable compared to the stock shifter. For performance driving, the shifts feel perfect, especially the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I was concerned that the 40% reduction in throw would be "too short", but now I think that's about where it should be. There's also no change in NVH with the new shifter, which is exactly as advertised. They did a really good job on the fully isolated upper stick design. The spherical steel ball bearing design looks and feels significantly more robust than the stock plastic bearing (see picture below). I'll provide more feedback once I get more seat time with the new shifter, but so far I'm very happy with the results.

One trade-off is a noticeable, yet acceptable, increase in shift effort. I think the benefits far outweighs this trade-off, but it's worth noting for those considering it. I found it to be most noticeable on slow shifts in heavy traffic and when shifting out of 5th, out of 6th, and on the 5-6 shift. There's simply less mechanical advantage so it takes a little more effort.

One observation is that the 1-3-5-R gears seem to be about as far forward as where they had been with the stock shifter and the 2-4-6 gears almost feel as far forward as where neutral was. So when the shifter is now in 4th gear, it looks and feels like it's in neutral (compared to the stock shifter). This will take some getting used to. This is not necessarily bad, just an observation. I'll take some measurements when I get a chance to put numbers behind this. I think it will just take a little time for me to get used to the exact gear positions and shorter throws.

The installation was not too bad and went pretty smoothly. I did it in my garage on wooden ramps. The job could be done significantly faster with a lift, but it's not necessary. I've attached a version of the install document that's been edited (in red) with my notes, tips, and with the torque specs. See .pdf file at the bottom. I was initially concerned the pins might be tough to reach, but I was able to get those out pretty quickly from the top.

Everything went smooth, except for one relatively small thing. The shifter assembly to housing M6X10mm bolts that were provided (reference Step 37 in the attached .pdf) did not quite hold up to the factory torque spec of 13 lb-ft - the internal hex started to round off as I approached that torque level. The stock external hex bolt did not have this issue. I used Loctite 242 blue threadlocker on them and I'm sure they are tightened to an acceptable level, so this is not really a big deal. Hopefully this helps someone else doing the install though. I'd recommend going "hand tight" or in the 8-10 lb-ft range.

Thanks again to the Hurst team for the opportunity to review and provide feedback on their new upper stick design! The new stick with stock knob sits slightly higher (maybe 1/4") taller than the white ball in it's tallest setting and more like 1.5-2" taller than the white ball in it's shortest setting. This puts it at the perfect height in my opinion.

I would recommend Hurst have a car available at CamaroFest8 with this shifter so folks can get a feel for it firsthand compared to the stock unit. I think they will sell a ton of these once people can feel the difference it makes.

Here's some pictures of the install. Stay tuned for a short video before and after. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Hurst Shifter Install(JE_updated).pdf (2.82 MB, 1065 views)