Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-12-2016, 07:03 PM   #1
mbar

Drives: 2016 1SS
Why do you change oil by yourself ?

To save money ?
Don't trust the shop to do as good job?
Enjoy doing it ?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #2
chaacole

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1ss
both
chaacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I don't want my car anywhere near dealership if I can afford it. And changing the oil is easy especially with the valve I put in. Being in the industry for 30 years, I've seen good techs make mistakes. It's not just that the kids that do it, everybody makes mistakes and once my wheel is rashed or paint scratched, I don't want to have to fix it. The only time my car will see a dealership is when I need a warranty repair.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #4
chaacole

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1ss
glen, what valve?
chaacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 PM   #5
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435646

Don't miss the links embedded in this thread… Explains completely from Stahlbus how they work. Very high precision, German, they work fantastic
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:22 PM   #6
97one

Drives: 2016 & 1967 Camaro, 2015 Impala, +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I don't want my car anywhere near dealership if I can afford it. And changing the oil is easy especially with the valve I put in. Being in the industry for 30 years, I've seen good techs make mistakes. It's not just that the kids that do it, everybody makes mistakes and once my wheel is rashed or paint scratched, I don't want to have to fix it. The only time my car will see a dealership is when I need a warranty repair.
EXACTLY, NOBODY!! Cares more about your car than you!!

97one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #7
fighting irish
The Doctor is in

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Nightfall MRC NPP
I second everything above that has been said. Growing up, my father always changed the oil on his cars. He had to have surgery once, so he decided to give the dealer a chance with the oil change on his car.

The next morning, he went into the garage to find the floor covered in a quart of oil. Turns out they didn't tighten the oil filter properly, and it leaked all over the place. That was the last time he trusted anyone to change his oil.
fighting irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Its not cheaper these days. But it takes me 30 min in the comfort of my own house and I don't have to drive to a dealer and then wait 2 hours.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:55 AM   #9
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
I'll let them do it sometimes but it seems like a process that is screwed up by techs sometimes bc it's so routine and no attention is given. That's my guess. The story above (loose filter) almost happened to my wife (then gf) on her pathfinder. I noticed a drop of oil.. didn't think much of it.. but easy enough to crawl under. Sure enough, the friggin' drain plug was loose to the touch. Seriously guys? Also, you see so many of these fraudulent oil change shops you wonder how much of that goes on at dealerships too since a lot (all?) Of those guys are paid on commission, right? Sad. They should let you watch as they drain the old fluid and dump in the new stuff.

The there's the videos of cars not being balanced on the lift.... haha.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #10
vet757

Drives: ^^^This
Years ago I did it myself....Now I let the dealer do it. I just rather use my time differently.

Last edited by vet757; 05-13-2016 at 12:03 PM.
vet757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Some of us aren't in a position to work on our own cars where we live. I don't have a choice. I have to bring it somewhere.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
mjw930

Drives: 2015 Porsche BGTS, 2016 2SS
I've gone both routes, it really depends on which vehicle and my comfort level with the dealer.

On my Ram I use the dealer, they have a separate express lube building with full glass and don't mind me poking around and talking to the mechanics. And they included lifetime oil changes and use a good quality Pennzoil so I'm good to go.

For my Porsche I also use the dealer since I have a great relationship with them and know the mechanics who work on my car. For this car it's usually an annual event as it's not driven much so I combine services and have the alignment checked at the same time as well as having othe scheduled service done. I have factored this cost into the ownership of the car and down the line as it gets older I may start doing a lot of it myself.

For the SS, my wife's car, I have 2 choices. One local small dealer has a good oil change service where I can bring my 2 jugs of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, my oil of choice, and they will perform the labor for free under the 24 month service plan or I can simply do it myself. For the 500 mile change (something I always do regardless what the manual says) I did it myself simply because I wanted to get a good look at the oil and gauge how difficult doing the changes myself would be. For the most part I'll probably continue to do it myself, it's very simple, but I have the small local dealer as a backup in case we need it done quickly and I'm busy doing other things.
mjw930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 AM   #13
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Over the years I've begun to trust some and I do mean some of the mechanics at dealerships less and less. However I do think changing your own oil gives you a chance to personally look up under your own car and see what's really going on and just in general check other parts that might have gone unnoticed.

Also it gives me a chance to pull my own oil samples to send in for analyzation. Every oil change I usually get one done. It's like a blood test for humans, except you can see what's going on inside your engine.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:57 AM   #14
The1DoubleN
Banned

Drives: Blown up '16 SS
I used to change my oil myself, but after dealing with the disposal, and the fact that I have a great mechanic that charges me $10 in labor to use the discounted Mobil 1 I get off Amazon, I don't bother with it anymore. I get to watch everything he is doing, standing under the car on the lift, and I trust him more than me working on my car. It takes him 10min to do what would take me at least an hour or more with disposal time factored in.

If anything, it's a good excuse for me to get the car up in the air and take a thorough walk-thru underneath to check for leaks, damage, and tire punctures. It all depends on your mechanic though....since that's typically not allowed for customers due to liability/insurance.....
The1DoubleN is offline   Reply With Quote