Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-30-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Z28 & COPO?

After 6 years of waiting until my name was pulled for the COPO Lottery...I got an email yesterday that 1 of the 69 2020 COPO's can be mine.

The dilemma: No 4-Speed Manual option in the 2020 line up. I wanted to get a Factory 427 NA 4 Speed COPO. They are down to 2 engines, 350SC or the 427NA and both come with a Manual Valve Body T400.

I know I can do whatever I want to it after it is mine but I hate taking a car like this and molesting it.

I was planning on getting back into Drag Racing on a very limited bases hitting 3 events at Brainerd International. Clutches are my passion. I have no love for that mystery jelly donut between motor and the Transmission.

I have until 10:48 am Saturday morning to decide.

One of the best "1st World Problems" I have ever faced!!!

What to do???
Old 01-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
I may be wrong, I don't follow COPO's diligently. Aren't used examples at a depreciated value from MSRP? No interest in sourcing a manual trans one that way?
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:06 PM   #3
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I completely agree with your feelings about clutches and Drag Racing, as well as modding a COPO. If I were in your position I believe I would buy the COPO while you have the chance...maybe you were destined to have the car? Let time tell what you are going to do with the tranny situation.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:19 PM   #4
ksupkt87

Drives: 2014 Z/28
I believe I have seen several for sale over the last few years well below the original MSRP. If you can’t get the exact configuration you want, I would pass and look for a prior year model that has not been raced yet.
ksupkt87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
You're worried about modding a race car?

Either you are going to race this thing and eventually mod it because it needs mods to help you race, or you aren't going to race it and honestly, shouldn't buy it.

Paint a giant sparkly pink phallus on it if it helps your times... swap the manual if you want to.... Its a badass car... and it COULD be your car.

My vote is buy it, swap it if you want to.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
craZed

Drives: Z/28 15 AGM
Taking off on j o n's post, here's some gas for the fire. This is on Hemmings. $117K. Sounds like low miles

VIN #: 2014COPO008
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Mint
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black

Seller’s Description:
2014 Camaro COPO #008, 1 of 18 black cars, has flat black graphics, documented 1 of 1 as optioned, 427 CI naturally aspirated, Carbon fiber hood, wheelie bars,1 of 8 manual transmission cars for 2014. G-Force 4-speed, clutchless shifts after launch. Never raced, private owner, I have all purchase documents. Not streetable, no VIN. Comes w/COPO owner's manual, signed poster and drivers jacket.

Look for rubber in the driveway
craZed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
4 FN 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by j o n View Post
I may be wrong, I don't follow COPO's diligently. Aren't used examples at a depreciated value from MSRP? No interest in sourcing a manual trans one that way?
Depreciation is not a concern...when it comes to cars or women. While 1 maintains its looks and other it's value I am not looking at it as an investment.

I bought a 1957 Ford Thunder Bird, factory 2-4 Barrel car with 211 miles on the restoration for $1.00. That is my investment car...LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
I completely agree with your feelings about clutches and Drag Racing, as well as modding a COPO. If I were in your position I believe I would buy the COPO while you have the chance...maybe you were destined to have the car? Let time tell what you are going to do with the tranny situation.
I know what Time would do on the Trans issue...see pics below...I love Clutch Cars!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craZed View Post
Taking off on j o n's post, here's some gas for the fire. This is on Hemmings. $117K. Sounds like low miles

VIN #: 2014COPO008
Transmission: Manual
Condition: Mint
Exterior: Black
Interior: Black

Seller’s Description:
2014 Camaro COPO #008, 1 of 18 black cars, has flat black graphics, documented 1 of 1 as optioned, 427 CI naturally aspirated, Carbon fiber hood, wheelie bars,1 of 8 manual transmission cars for 2014. G-Force 4-speed, clutchless shifts after launch. Never raced, private owner, I have all purchase documents. Not streetable, no VIN. Comes w/COPO owner's manual, signed poster and drivers jacket.

Look for rubber in the driveway
The deal I had with myself was I would buy one from the Factory...but this is interesting...Hmmmm...
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2020, 03:29 AM   #8
j o n

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #0058
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 FN 27 View Post
Depreciation is not a concern...when it comes to cars or women. While 1 maintains its looks and other it's value I am not looking at it as an investment.

I bought a 1957 Ford Thunder Bird, factory 2-4 Barrel car with 211 miles on the restoration for $1.00. That is my investment car...LOL...
I wasn't referring to depreciation with regards to an investment. I was referring to depreciation as buying a used one. Getting a good deal on a used example with a manual. COPOs seem plentifully available. Even Richards rollings and Dennis Collins from fast and loud tv show bought like 30 of them from GM, some or all being rolling chassis cars. Then they had trouble selling them.

2014 as described earlier
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...o/2077412.html
- '15 Z/28 #0058 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
- '22 Ridgeline RTL | White | Ebony, '22 CR-V EX-L Hybrid | White | Ebony
Sold:
- '15 Z/28 #0048 | White | A/C | Speakers | Michelin PS4S 305/30/19's
https://www.instagram.com/__jon__athan__/
j o n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 04:06 AM   #9
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
After 6 years of waiting until my name was pulled for the COPO Lottery...I got an email yesterday that 1 of the 69 2020 COPO's can be mine.

The dilemma: No 4-Speed Manual option in the 2020 line up. I wanted to get a Factory 427 NA 4 Speed COPO. They are down to 2 engines, 350SC or the 427NA and both come with a Manual Valve Body T400.

I know I can do whatever I want to it after it is mine but I hate taking a car like this and molesting it.

I was planning on getting back into Drag Racing on a very limited bases hitting 3 events at Brainerd International. Clutches are my passion. I have no love for that mystery jelly donut between motor and the Transmission.

I have until 10:48 am Saturday morning to decide.

One of the best "1st World Problems" I have ever faced!!!

What to do???
I think you have another option.

Buy it - confirm you will take the build slot. Pay whatever deposit you have to.

Then badger Chevrolet directly and incessantly about how you want a manual trans, you've been waiting 6 years, you're a lifelong COPO fan yadda yadda etc etc. Go through dealers, social media channels, write a letter to the CEO...whatever it takes to get them to change your build spec.

As they only build small volumes of these things, it's not actually that much of a pain for them to put a manual trans in one in I bet. If you can get them to agree you'll have what you want and a 1-of-1 manual 2020 COPO that could be an investment as well.
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 AM   #10
Silveradoss573

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I don't see them offering you a copo with a manual installed unless you have some big time connections. Why don't you build it out and buy the manual transmission separately? Install the manual and set the T400 aside? I don't see where you're molesting the car as you put it. I mean either it's going to be a race car or like tons of others out there just a show piece. If you're going to race it, stuff is going to wear out, need updating, break, etc anyways.
Silveradoss573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #11
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Death of the manual

I hate to say it but I think the death of the manual transmission is upon us. I never thought I’d say it because there’s nothing better than connecting with a high HP automobile via a manual gearbox. I now can leave my Camaro unlocked anywhere I go and it won’t get stolen via driving away, because most of the general public cannot drive manual. I sadly agree with previous post to get it and install your own transmission because that is what we all will need to do with any new car now, including the C8 corvette.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
4 FN 27

Gents...thank you all for your input.

After great consideration I am going to decline the opportunity. My heart was set on a Factory Manual COPO with me as the original buyer...thus I think the used market is the best option. The COPO on Hemmings is the right direction should I continue down this path.

The question I have to really answer is do I really want to get back in the show again. It was all consuming. 24-7 for 20+ years of my life. I was burning the candle at both ends and twice in the middle. I am not one to just dabble in something. I am typically all in or all out. I have no governor...

Still I would love to start rowing a Clutchless Manual car down the track again.

Time to call my Drag Racing Anonymous Sponsor again. I am powerless of Drag Racing. It has made my life unmanageable...LOL...
Old 01-31-2020, 08:14 AM   #13
4 FN 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
I hate to say it but I think the death of the manual transmission is upon us. I never thought I’d say it because there’s nothing better than connecting with a high HP automobile via a manual gearbox. I now can leave my Camaro unlocked anywhere I go and it won’t get stolen via driving away, because most of the general public cannot drive manual. I sadly agree with previous post to get it and install your own transmission because that is what we all will need to do with any new car now, including the C8 corvette.
I agree. With the AI built into todays vehicles the transmissions will be come smarter and adjust for track conditions on their own.

I enjoy the process of setting up a clutch for the next pass. Taking into account the track, the driver, tune-up and the environmental conditions.

Converters are set for the most part. Clutches can be dialed in. We did an exhibition pass at Brainerd at the High School Street Races one night. The track manager told us they did no prep and we should just do a burnout and shut it off.

I told the Crew Chief to take a half a turn of base out of the clutch and pull 10 grams off the fingers. The Engine Tech reprogrammed the ignition to pull 2° out on all 4 gear changes and we set the Shocks softer 1 click.

If the car hooked like it normally does as I burn out across the starting line I would make a full pass. It did. We clicked off a 6.8 pass at 202 MPH on a no prep track. That is what I love about a clutch.

We did "burn" the clutch a bit but not too bad. The Floaters were un-phased but the 3 discs showed about .0045 more wear than normal.

You can tune the car to the Track easier than tuning the track to a car.
Old 01-31-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
DasBaldDog

Drives: 2017 Focus RS
Quote:
Gents...thank you all for your input.

After great consideration I am going to decline the opportunity. My heart was set on a Factory Manual COPO with me as the original buyer...thus I think the used market is the best option. The COPO on Hemmings is the right direction should I continue down this path.

The question I have to really answer is do I really want to get back in the show again. It was all consuming. 24-7 for 20+ years of my life. I was burning the candle at both ends and twice in the middle. I am not one to just dabble in something. I am typically all in or all out. I have no governor...

Still I would love to start rowing a Clutchless Manual car down the track again.

Time to call my Drag Racing Anonymous Sponsor again. I am powerless of Drag Racing. It has made my life unmanageable...LOL...

Wish you nothing but luck and happiness in your search.

A possible lead for you is Stingray Chevrolet in Plant City FLorida (I am down there for work regularly) and they have 2 (I think) 5th Gen COPO's in the showroom that are "NOT FOR SALE" to which one of the managers told me "is just to keep idiots from asking, everything is for sale". I think both were 427s. tranmission unknown.
DasBaldDog is offline   Reply With Quote