Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #85
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Agree
But gps speed is your real speed...
Hud speed?
Especially for those who swap 20” to 19” or the opposite...

Good point for me waze is working with CarPlay
(US Nav not compatible with EU Nav)
Bad stuff for GPS speed
Automatic radars flash you if you are 1km/h above...
God help you if you think the GPS chipset in your phone is 100% accurate. That’s the same as thinking the speedometer in any car is 100% accurate.

Whatever the authorities clock you at is your real speed. And I’ve swapped to 19” wheels in the winter, there is no discernible different in speed.

Once again, your gripe is with Apple, take it to them. Waze cannot implement something that the manufacturer will not allow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:23 PM   #86
ecko04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Used it for the first time today. Love it! It doesn’t show speed, but that’s what my HUD is for.

That’s the exact same feedback I gave to some devs. Why spend the time trying to backdoor a speedometer when the focus should be on the road? Just for folks to erroneously get pulled over and fight the ticket by saying, “but Waze said”?

There aren’t many vehicles where the radio display is in a more advantageous viewing position than the HUD or speedometer. Also the Waze speed limits can be inaccurate due to construction.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:01 PM   #87
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuit.fr View Post
Agree
But gps speed is your real speed...
Hud speed?
Especially for those who swap 20” to 19” or the opposite...

Good point for me waze is working with CarPlay
(US Nav not compatible with EU Nav)
Bad stuff for GPS speed
Automatic radars flash you if you are 1km/h above...
Except for my phone. Whenever my phone is cabled into my car system, Waze displays my speed at exactly half whatever my speedometer reads. This was the case in all three CarPlay equipped vehicles in my household, so it has to be a phone issue.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #88
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
I have a Iphone 6S with ios 12.0 software installed...Will WAZE appear on my apple carplay?

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #89
MaskedRacerX

Drives: Now: GT/PP Vert, Future: ZL1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack46 View Post
I have a Iphone 6S with ios 12.0 software installed...Will WAZE appear on my apple carplay?
Yep, if it's installed and updated the most recent version.
MaskedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:06 AM   #90
Karma81

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Oh Man, I am loving this! Not that the GM Nav was bad at all. But it's nice to have the police alerts and traffic stuff! Now all they need to do is make it come up on the HUD!( Just kidding, people are never satisfied)
Karma81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #91
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Whatever the authorities clock you at is your real speed.
There is a reason every speeding ticket is beatable in court - and the "authorities clock" requires calibrations and can be out by more than 10%...in almost every case, the radar they use isn't calibrated within the legal required timeframe to be used as admissible evidence for speeding.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #92
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
There is a reason every speeding ticket is beatable in court - and the "authorities clock" requires calibrations and can be out by more than 10%...in almost every case, the radar they use isn't calibrated within the legal required timeframe to be used as admissible evidence for speeding.
You can only use that If the officer doesn't show up to court. If he does, and is under oath and said it was calibrated prior to shift (no matter if it was or wasn't), then you're out of luck. You can get a lawyer and try to fight it and use every little trick and maybe get lucky and spend double or triple what the actual ticket costs in fees but most judges aren't buying that anymore so it's not worth it.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #93
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
You can only use that If the officer doesn't show up to court. If he does, and is under oath and said it was calibrated prior to shift (no matter if it was or wasn't), then you're out of luck. You can get a lawyer and try to fight it and use every little trick and maybe get lucky and spend double or triple what the actual ticket costs in fees but most judges aren't buying that anymore so it's not worth it.
He can't testify under oath that is was calibrated without providing the evidence that it occurred - so yes, go to court and challenge it EVERY time.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 09-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #94
ecko04

Quote:

Nice job, taking a sentence out of context that has nothing to do with the thread.

Your comment is exactly why Waze doesn’t need to integrate cellular GPS speed into CarPlay; you would use what Waze displays as your defense once you are told that the date of the last calibration is written on most tickets.

Old 09-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #95
RDBURNR

Drives: 2016 Camarro 2SS
So far, I like it. The only thing that I do not is that the ability to define Police visible, other side or hidden does not seem available. Just police in your direction of travel.
Stage 2 Intercooler w/ Race BOV
ZL1 Fuel Upgrade
LT4 Injectors
Fuel Voltage Booster
AEM Boost and AFR Gauges
Dynatech 1 7/8th Headers
JRE Tuning
RDBURNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #96
NW-99SS

Quote:
Nice job, taking a sentence out of context that has nothing to do with the thread.

Your comment is exactly why Waze doesn’t need to integrate cellular GPS speed into CarPlay; you would use what Waze displays as your defense once you are told that the date of the last calibration is written on most tickets.

You cannot use Waze cellular GPS as evidence of speed in court in the same way the authorities cannot use a radar or laser device outside of the legal calibration date requirements.

Anyway, carry on with the Waze discussion, I'm looking forward to using it with CarPlay myself.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 09-27-2018, 05:21 PM   #97
ecko04

Quote:
You cannot use Waze cellular GPS as evidence of speed in court in the same way the authorities cannot use a radar or laser device outside of the legal calibration date requirements.

Anyway, carry on with the Waze discussion, I'm looking forward to using it with CarPlay myself.

The authorities will most likely say their devices have been calibrated. Unless a defendant knows more about the calibration tuning (fork tuning) asking a basic question such as, has it been calibrated?, will not hold up on court.

According to the operations manuals that come with police radar, to ensure accuracy every radar unit is supposed to be calibrated with tuning forks before each and every working shift and also before and after being used to detect each speeding violation. The forks used to tune are also sensitive creatures: If not kept in a box protecting them from moisture and jostling, they become inaccurate.

But, if you attend a few traffic court trials (ask me how I know), you'll notice that almost all officers of the law swear they calibrated their radar units just before issuing the ticket. What they usually mean is that they flicked on a switch built into the radar unit itself, then switched it back to regular operation.

Furthermore, citations in many districts across the country have the last calibration written on the citation. Therefore, once again a defendant needs more information about the calibration process.

Yes, back to CarPlay.

Old 09-27-2018, 06:52 PM   #98
MaskedRacerX

Drives: Now: GT/PP Vert, Future: ZL1 Vert
Quote:
The authorities will most likely say their devices have been calibrated.
I can tell you, having with worked (not saying, but it could be FHP and GSP) with a couple of state agencies (and in one case, knowing the person/company doing the work), radar equipment is very regularly calibrated - and documented - in some departments.
MaskedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote