#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
Selous1908

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 6-speed
ZL1 Mods

What’s up peeps!

Unfortunately for me, I live in good ol CA. Since I do want to pass smog when the time comes, I’m looking at some mods to throw on my car that’ll still keep me in the clear for CA smog ‘standards’. I’m looking at cams, maybe an upgraded SC, as well as any other ideas you all may have that’ll be good.

I own a 2020 ZL1. I currently have a Corsa Xtreme+ Catback Exhaust as well as a big gulp. (Those are easy to swap out for smog, ha!)
Selous1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Magnuson 2650 is CARB pending. Best bang for your buck in CA. I replaced my Rotofab and ported throttle body with the Maggie and couldn’t be more happy. Now I need tires
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #3
Selous1908

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1 6-speed
How much did you spend?
Selous1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
Magnuson 2650 is CARB pending. Best bang for your buck in CA. I replaced my Rotofab and ported throttle body with the Maggie and couldn’t be more happy. Now I need tires
+1. I'd like to plan to go this route, too. I have a standard RF already, and would like to add a 103 and Maggie.

What kind of power are you making with those changes? I remember you were about 640 in CARB-form.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #5
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SienarSystems View Post
Please explain more about how the 2650 will be CARB legal? I assume the 2650 needs an aftermarket retune, and I've never heard of a car that passes smog in CA with a non-factory retune.

When a tuner changes the ECU code, my understanding is that the CARB software that reads your ECU at a smog station will flag the car as FAIL vs PASS and immediately transmit this to the CA system. Only way around it is via a shady smog station, which I have nearby.

Is this not true with a retune for the Magnuson 2650?
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Please explain more about how the 2650 will be CARB legal? I assume the 2650 needs an aftermarket retune, and I've never heard of a car that passes smog in CA with a non-factory retune.

When a tuner changes the ECU code, my understanding is that the CARB software that reads your ECU at a smog station will flag the car as FAIL vs PASS and immediately transmit this to the CA system. Only way around it is via a shady smog station, which I have nearby.

Same in Denver CO area. ANY retune flags car as automatic FAIL.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post

When did this start?
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:08 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
There are plenty of turbo and blower kits that are CARB-legal out there (not just our cars, but I mean that in a general statement). Yes - they require tuning but there are kids out there.

Smog stations can see if you have any MILs that are active and stored. They can also see what monitors have passed or failed. They can also "check" they haven't been manipulated, if they really want to.

I think there was some misunderstanding or something has changed in the last year or something. At any rate - any of the FI-kits that are CARB-legal will be just fine. If you are concerned, you should be able to obtain the CARB-number for the kit, go to CARB's website, enter the number, and verify your application is on the exemption list. Unless this is new software that I haven't heard of (which I'm not arguing), there's not much to worry about. If it has a CARB-number that is applicable to your vehicle, and you don't modify the vehicle outside of the exemption details, you're totally fine.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
There are plenty of turbo and blower kits that are CARB-legal out there (not just our cars, but I mean that in a general statement). Yes - they require tuning but there are kids out there.

Smog stations can see if you have any MILs that are active and stored. They can also see what monitors have passed or failed. They can also "check" they haven't been manipulated, if they really want to.

I think there was some misunderstanding or something has changed in the last year or something. At any rate - any of the FI-kits that are CARB-legal will be just fine. If you are concerned, you should be able to obtain the CARB-number for the kit, go to CARB's website, enter the number, and verify your application is on the exemption list. Unless this is new software that I haven't heard of (which I'm not arguing), there's not much to worry about. If it has a CARB-number that is applicable to your vehicle, and you don't modify the vehicle outside of the exemption details, you're totally fine.
This is correct. I called Magnuson. They said that the CARB certification means that it’s legal in all 50 states. And it’s basically their system ALONG WITH their tune that’s certified. You will pass emissions as long as you run their tune. This is assuming they get the CARB certification.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 11:24 PM   #10
SienarSystems

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Correct, the Magnuson 2650 plus their supplied tune is pending CARB approval. If you install the blower only, use the stock throttle body, stock airbox and the Magnuson provided tune you’ll have a 50 state legal modification (assuming the blower/tune is ultimately approved by the CARB). My car is stock, exhaust, tb, airbox, and everything else with the exception of the Maggie and their tune. It made 641hp on the Magnuson dyno post surgery and 580 pre operation. I saw a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal posted. I got a deal and Magnuson had my car for a few weeks to test, tune and build out their complete kit.

There are a number of CARB legal solutions for Mustangs and the SS; whipple and procharger to name a couple. Neither had a CARB solution, or plans for 1, for the ZL1. Edlebrock makes a 2650 for the ZL1 but does not offer a tune and I have no information on their CARB certification plans for the blower.

Last edited by SienarSystems; 12-02-2019 at 11:40 PM.
SienarSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:52 AM   #11
airtroop01

Drives: 2018 Cadillac CTS-V
Edelbrock’s 2650 is also CARB legal with their tune. It passed. I’ve been on the fence about this vs the Maggy. Can get really good deals on the Edelbrock now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
airtroop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #12
Mister Will

All of the above is true. The S/C kits are carb legal with the manufactured supplied tune.

The dirty little secret is after the kit is installed and the tune download, the owner takes the car to a tuner and has it dyno tuned. The car will still pass emissions and no one is the wiser.

What was claimed is that the smog testing machines can now detect if a custom tune has been made and flunk the smog test. I know as of 2016 this was not the case. Is it true today?
Old 12-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #13
Oddspyke

Drives: 2018 Chevy Camaro ZL1 convertible
I suspect this is confusion about why the tuned cars are failing inspection. Many aftermarket tunes automatically defeat catalyst efficiency channels to keep your CEL off if you use high flow cats or a catless DP. This will cause you to fail inspection on any car in a state that runs obd2 readiness checks. Tunes that leave all channels ready (not defeated) should not cause you to fail inspection in any state. This same topic comes up all the time in the Cobb tuning forums for VW and Ford because all the OTS tunes and most custom tuners just turn those channels off.
Oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #14
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddspyke View Post
I suspect this is confusion about why the tuned cars are failing inspection. Many aftermarket tunes automatically defeat catalyst efficiency channels to keep your CEL off if you use high flow cats or a catless DP. This will cause you to fail inspection on any car in a state that runs obd2 readiness checks. Tunes that leave all channels ready (not defeated) should not cause you to fail inspection in any state. This same topic comes up all the time in the Cobb tuning forums for VW and Ford because all the OTS tunes and most custom tuners just turn those channels off.
can't pass if the rear O2 sensors are turned off.