Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #1
evanescent03

Drives: '19 SS 1LE/'19 Rubicon/'20 AT4
Sharing car at DEs, who has done it?

Hey guys. I've got an SS 1LE and trying to decide if my wife and i should share the car or if we should add something that she can use...

I realize there is no PERFECT answer to "what car to get" or how to do this, but am interested in seeing what tips and tricks people have come across with having their wife/husband join them at track days.

Thanks for any/all input!

I'm a pretty aggressive (not necessarily fast, HA!) driver and she will be one of the slower ones out there at first. I'm guessing she will be smooth and predictable as she gets some proper instruction. Even if she is going 7-8/10s it seems like a lot of abuse for the car to go through and not much cool down time.

Things i'm considering:
- excessive heat in tires and brakes leaving one person with a sub-optimal car for their session (although maybe a cool down lap or two may be enough to let things settle?)

- does wear on the car/consumables go up exponentially? consumables will still be cheaper than another car

- is the Camaro SS 1LE pretty fun for a shorty driver getting used to DEs?

Pros of sharing a car:
- can tow the car in/out with plenty extra fluids, tires, pads and tools to keep the car running well
- well balanced car that gives a less aggressive driver some speed advantage to help prevent insane closing speeds of "slightly quick" drivers in beginner groups
- avoid another car payment

Cons of sharing car:
- may need to cool down car a little at beginning of session if back-to-back (would try to avoid this by me joining a group opposite of her)
- if one of us (namely, me) breaks the car the other is also hosed for the weekend
- i don't get to buy another car

Other cars i'd consider for her to drive:
- new M3 because it'll have AWD and selectable RWD so even if it's a little wet on the track we can still go and have fun and I'd also daily drive it in place of my SS1LE i'm using currently
- Cayman (possibly S or GTS), super well balanced, can be driven really fast but doesn't need to be in order to have fun, great visibility including lower hood than SS1LE
- 911, possibly Carrera T or S; well balanced, planted even in RWD, great visibility, plenty fast (maybe too fast?), would be a nice daily for me.

possibly one of the above options but used versions of them. She obviously doesn't need something so serious as the new cars but they are well behaved especially well below their limits and the visibility is far better in all of them. The ulterior motive is i also like those cars and would like to drive them occasionally on track and maybe daily drive them also.

Thanks again!

PS some photos of wifey riding shotgun bc photos make every post better!
Attached Images

Last edited by evanescent03; 11-18-2019 at 12:07 PM.
evanescent03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
JD_

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE in Nightfall Gray
So the first question in response would be, why not another SS 1LE?
JD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:54 PM   #3
rotis

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I've seen people share cars at DEs before. Depending on the track and the group arrangement I think it can work out fine. Wear doesn't go up exponentially, GM runs these cars at the Milford proving ground a full tank per session. A solid cooldown lap and being parked for a session should be just fine.

My advice would be-

1) Ask your wife what she wants to drive. It seems she's been around this stuff long enough to have formed an opinion.

If she is uncomfortable in the 1LE, talk with her about possible options. It sounds like you've got a list in mind already.
rotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 04:57 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
ive never seen people share cars but my buddy over the weekend at global time attack was doing double duty driving 2 cars and thats wild to me lol but hes a super good driver so it makes sense
Old 11-18-2019, 06:42 PM   #5
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
My longest driving session in my 1LE at Willow Springs Big Track was 58 minutes. My shortest has been 38 Minutes. Most run around the 45 minute mark. I think the car can handle both drivers even if you were to run back to back sessions.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 07:18 PM   #6
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD_ View Post
So the first question in response would be, why not another SS 1LE?
not a horrible idea, but variety is the spice of life. i also think she would appreciate a car with better visibility and maybe something with a little more finesse. it would simplify the consumables too, however from what other folks are saying, it sounds like just keeping one car may be all i really need to do.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:40 PM   #7
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotis View Post
I've seen people share cars at DEs before. Depending on the track and the group arrangement I think it can work out fine. Wear doesn't go up exponentially, GM runs these cars at the Milford proving ground a full tank per session. A solid cooldown lap and being parked for a session should be just fine.

My advice would be-

1) Ask your wife what she wants to drive. It seems she's been around this stuff long enough to have formed an opinion.

If she is uncomfortable in the 1LE, talk with her about possible options. It sounds like you've got a list in mind already.
so yeah, i did ask her. she's kinda game for whatever it sounds like, even offered to get a miata because "i'm short and it could actually fit in it" compared to me (6'3" 230lbs). sounds like a recurring idea that the car can pull the double duty without an issue though which is encouraging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
ive never seen people share cars but my buddy over the weekend at global time attack was doing double duty driving 2 cars and thats wild to me lol but hes a super good driver so it makes sense
haha that sounds like fun. #goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
My longest driving session in my 1LE at Willow Springs Big Track was 58 minutes. My shortest has been 38 Minutes. Most run around the 45 minute mark. I think the car can handle both drivers even if you were to run back to back sessions.
who do you drive with that sessions are 38-58 minutes? that's insane. groups i go with (HOD, Speed SF) are usually in the 20-25min range. Chin Motorsports i drove with on the other side of the country would do a super session which was like 50 min or so and it was epic. They would combine everyone who was left on Sunday evening and just drive until you ran out of tires, fuel, or talent haha.

I guess most folks seem to think it's totally reasonable to share the car. I'll just make sure i take a nice supply of consumables on standby. i've been having a lot of fun in the SS 1LE so plan on keeping it for a while (my trend is new car every 6 months so it could be nice to get one paid off!)

thanks for the input everyone!
Old 11-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #8
NorthGeorgia

Drives: 2018 ZLE, 2023 C8, IMSA MX-5
Have shared my C6 and my ZLE in same run group and have shared while running different groups on several occasions requiring back to back sessions in Georgia heat. When doubling up, no issues aside from monitoring pads, pressures and temps. On plus side, tires are warm on the out lap. At some events where you have 5+ sessions per day, sharing sessions in same run group can work well over 2 days and reduce the fatigue. Does save insuring 2 cars since most track policies cover 2 named drivers.
NorthGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:00 PM   #9
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
My wife started doing trackdays about 5 years ago. We have done events sharing a car, and also with two cars. Our primary track car is a '92 Miata. Over that 5 years we've also run her DD as a secondary track car... first a '13 Miata, then a '17 Mustang GT PP, and now our '18 ZL1. She's not fast, but she's competent, holds her own in the intermediate groups, and is constantly improving.

Our '92 Miata is 98% a dedicated track car at this point. It's certainly no match in a straight line for modern performance cars, but it gets around a track quite well, is stone reliable, and easy on consumables. We've run it in back to back sessions a number of times without ever having issues.

My point being that a single car, set up properly can be very reliable for two drivers, and you don't need 600hp to have fun on the track. Our ZL1 is stupid fast, but we both have more fun driving the Miata. Also, if she learns to be fast with less power, it will make her a better driver.

Some things to think about with a single car:

- easier to transport 1 car and associated support tires/equipment/etc.
- less to deal with at the track (tire pressures, notes, data, fuel, fixing stuff, etc)
- easier to share thoughts/experiences on what the car is doing, proper lines, etc.
- it's more difficult to fit 2 drivers of different heights with a fixed racing seat/harnesses, etc.
- any weaknesses in the car (cooling, etc) will be quickly exposed with double (back to back) use
-double wear/tear on consumables
- if the car goes down, you're done

Things to think about with 2 cars:

- transport is a PITA or a major inve$$$tment. My wife drives the second car and I trailer the Miata. Not so bad for local (200 miles round trip for us) events, but further events are more of an issue.
- if one car goes down for whatever reason, you still have another car
- if you're buying track insurance for both, it's gonna cost you
- unless your wife is really into it, you're going to be maintaining both cars at the track... you'll be busy
- double consumables to buy

My wife at Laguna Seca in our Miata in 2017:

And yesterday in the ZL1 at Inde Motorsports Ranch here in AZ:

Just realize you may create a monster... that's what happened to me. Now she wants her own track car. Only the fact that it's a PITA to haul two dedicated track cars around is helping to put that off...

Our compromise is that I keep developing the Miata as a racer and we take the ZL1 out a few times a year just for the laugh out loud fun of it.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 10:05 PM   #10
nomile

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE - Garnet Red
I'm an instructor with BMWCCA and my wife is an advanced A student - when we have our longer schools we'll drive our 2018 SS 1LE 3 days in a row (Friday open lapping, ~6-9 sessions total, Sat and Sun each 3 Instructor + 4 A-group). The tires are pretty cycled at the end of that, and it's a good idea to start with fresh pads (if running the OEMs). Definitely fresh Motul 600. The car never heats past "normal temp", and we're usually one of the fastest cars out there. These cars can take it!

Now, is the Camaro a great car to learn on? not sure... I would assume it's pretty intimidating for novice drivers, but there are good exercises to deal with that in order to learn corners before the go/slow pedals... good luck and have fun!

Oh - and what Rodan said:
2 cars = transportation hassles. But what a fun time!
nomile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 11:57 PM   #11
evanescent03

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGeorgia View Post
Have shared my C6 and my ZLE in same run group and have shared while running different groups on several occasions requiring back to back sessions in Georgia heat. When doubling up, no issues aside from monitoring pads, pressures and temps. On plus side, tires are warm on the out lap. At some events where you have 5+ sessions per day, sharing sessions in same run group can work well over 2 days and reduce the fatigue. Does save insuring 2 cars since most track policies cover 2 named drivers.
Good points ... I never read the fine print on lockton re: multiple drivers so I’ll def need to check on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
My wife started doing trackdays about 5 years ago. We have done events sharing a car, and also with two cars. Our primary track car is a '92 Miata. Over that 5 years we've also run her DD as a secondary track car... first a '13 Miata, then a '17 Mustang GT PP, and now our '18 ZL1. She's not fast, but she's competent, holds her own in the intermediate groups, and is constantly improving.

Our '92 Miata is 98% a dedicated track car at this point. It's certainly no match in a straight line for modern performance cars, but it gets around a track quite well, is stone reliable, and easy on consumables. We've run it in back to back sessions a number of times without ever having issues.

My point being that a single car, set up properly can be very reliable for two drivers, and you don't need 600hp to have fun on the track. Our ZL1 is stupid fast, but we both have more fun driving the Miata. Also, if she learns to be fast with less power, it will make her a better driver.

Some things to think about with a single car:

- easier to transport 1 car and associated support tires/equipment/etc.
- less to deal with at the track (tire pressures, notes, data, fuel, fixing stuff, etc)
- easier to share thoughts/experiences on what the car is doing, proper lines, etc.
- it's more difficult to fit 2 drivers of different heights with a fixed racing seat/harnesses, etc.
- any weaknesses in the car (cooling, etc) will be quickly exposed with double (back to back) use
-double wear/tear on consumables
- if the car goes down, you're done

Things to think about with 2 cars:

- transport is a PITA or a major inve$$$tment. My wife drives the second car and I trailer the Miata. Not so bad for local (200 miles round trip for us) events, but further events are more of an issue.
- if one car goes down for whatever reason, you still have another car
- if you're buying track insurance for both, it's gonna cost you
- unless your wife is really into it, you're going to be maintaining both cars at the track... you'll be busy
- double consumables to buy

My wife at Laguna Seca in our Miata in 2017:

And yesterday in the ZL1 at Inde Motorsports Ranch here in AZ:

Just realize you may create a monster... that's what happened to me. Now she wants her own track car. Only the fact that it's a PITA to haul two dedicated track cars around is helping to put that off...

Our compromise is that I keep developing the Miata as a racer and we take the ZL1 out a few times a year just for the laugh out loud fun of it.
Excellent input... I presume my wife will be the smooth and competent intermediate driver once she gets going a little, probably won’t ever try to drive the wheels off... this is all about fun so it’ll be fun to see what she can do. Miata is a tempting proposal ... just to get the feel of things but as pointed out below sticking to one car does simplify things quite a bit. Maybe the SS1LE will be our “Miata” and I’ll get another street car that we can take for giggles from time to time. You’ve definitely got me thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomile View Post
I'm an instructor with BMWCCA and my wife is an advanced A student - when we have our longer schools we'll drive our 2018 SS 1LE 3 days in a row (Friday open lapping, ~6-9 sessions total, Sat and Sun each 3 Instructor + 4 A-group). The tires are pretty cycled at the end of that, and it's a good idea to start with fresh pads (if running the OEMs). Definitely fresh Motul 600. The car never heats past "normal temp", and we're usually one of the fastest cars out there. These cars can take it!

Now, is the Camaro a great car to learn on? not sure... I would assume it's pretty intimidating for novice drivers, but there are good exercises to deal with that in order to learn corners before the go/slow pedals... good luck and have fun!

Oh - and what Rodan said:
2 cars = transportation hassles. But what a fun time!
Sounds like you get a lot of track time in ... probably more than we will although time will tell. As I stated above here, 1 car makes sense for now but if funds allow, a double-decker car hauler would be kinda amazing and a little hilarious... roll up with an SS1LE for her and GT3 for me haha! goals!

Thanks for the thoughtful and informative responses fellas!
Old 11-19-2019, 04:46 PM   #12
Scargoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
who do you drive with that sessions are 38-58 minutes? that's insane. groups i go with (HOD, Speed SF) are usually in the 20-25min range. Chin Motorsports i drove with on the other side of the country would do a super session which was like 50 min or so and it was epic. They would combine everyone who was left on Sunday evening and just drive until you ran out of tires, fuel, or talent haha.
A friend of mine holds track days on occasion. They are held during a weekday. He charges $300 but there are never more than 25 cars total for the day. Recently it's been in the 15-17 cars so he just opens up the track so you can run whenever you want. I like the format even though it costs more. I go out when I want and come in when I'm tired or need fuel.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scargoes View Post
A friend of mine holds track days on occasion. They are held during a weekday. He charges $300 but there are never more than 25 cars total for the day. Recently it's been in the 15-17 cars so he just opens up the track so you can run whenever you want. I like the format even though it costs more. I go out when I want and come in when I'm tired or need fuel.

whos your buddy and whats the name? lol
Old 11-19-2019, 09:23 PM   #14
Scargoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
whos your buddy and whats the name? lol
He goes by 'All Time Racing'. He lemons races an old Dart and sometime races his Cuda with VARA. His car was the poster car for this years Big Bore Bash.