Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-12-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
TXFIFTYSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
Best code reader/clearer without breaking the bank? iPhone/iOS User

I have tools for days, but sadly I don’t own a code reader. It’s been on my list for quite some time, but there are so many out there I really don’t know where to begin. I’m not looking for the best one or one to spend a fortune on, but I’m also not looking for a cheap unreliable one either.

I would like it to be universal where I can use it on domestic and imports, that way I can use it for myself or others. I would also like to delete/clear codes if the vehicle doesn’t do that automatically once the problem is fixed.

Other than reading/clearing codes...is there any other feature/function I should really consider when deciding?

For those that recommend a dongle and app...I am not an Android user, I own/use an iPhone.

Last edited by TXFIFTYSS; 11-21-2019 at 02:43 AM.
TXFIFTYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 11:56 PM   #2
TXFIFTYSS

105 views and no one has any input?

I’m tempted to get one from Harbor Freight, just to mark it off my list. They offer several, but I’m thinking about the Zurich ZR4 since it’s $40 and had good reviews.

I am still open for opinions. I haven’t made up my mind.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #3
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
I got a funny story for you LOL. So I have had my fair share of code readers. All under $100 so nothing to fancy. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD with a big lift and a hypertech programmer which is at least 12 years old. The tuner allows me to delete codes and read them as well. For the last decade I have dealt with the same error codes from this truck and check engine light. The Hypertech tells me its a sensor in the tank so I just deal with it. 2 weeks ago I pull out the https://www.harborfreight.com/mercha...ata-63809.html I bought and it tells me something completely different. It states the MAF. I think to myself you have to be kidding me that is a 5 min fix. I order a new MAF and BAM!!!! Light has stayed off. I cant believe all this time and it was the MAF. The ZR8 is a nice unit and worth the upgrade

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. TOTALED 6/2019
K&N Intake, MRBP axleback, Eibach kit, 20" Z28 wheels, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system

17 Camaro 2SS 50th edition. Round 2- 8/2019 550/600 RWHP, Magnuson TVS2300, Rotofab Intake, Corsa Xtreme, Air Lift P3 System, 20" Stance SF-07, smoked lights all the way around, Rockford Fosgate system.
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #4
jwaked

Drives: 11 Corvette ZR1
In my Avalanche it was also de MAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyca View Post
I got a funny story for you LOL. So I have had my fair share of code readers. All under $100 so nothing to fancy. I have a 2005 Chevy 2500HD with a big lift and a hypertech programmer which is at least 12 years old. The tuner allows me to delete codes and read them as well. For the last decade I have dealt with the same error codes from this truck and check engine light. The Hypertech tells me its a sensor in the tank so I just deal with it. 2 weeks ago I pull out the https://www.harborfreight.com/mercha...ata-63809.html I bought and it tells me something completely different. It states the MAF. I think to myself you have to be kidding me that is a 5 min fix. I order a new MAF and BAM!!!! Light has stayed off. I cant believe all this time and it was the MAF. The ZR8 is a nice unit and worth the upgrade
jwaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #5
teddyca

Drives: Blown C7 and 6th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaked View Post
In my Avalanche it was also de MAF
Its the #1 failure on these 4.6, 5.3, 6.0 LS motors. Sad thing is I likely did the damage by oiling my K&N filter when cleaning it at one point. After replacing maf I cleaned the filter and left it dry. LOL
teddyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
You can always grab the el cheapo bluetooth dongle and an app for your phone... cheap and easy

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet...s%2C169&sr=8-6
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
overdriv

Drives: 1969 Chevelle SS 2019 2SS Camaro
OBD2Link MX
overdriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I second the dongle and app. for less than $20 you can read codes, clear them, and have much more via the app than just a code reader.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #9
TXFIFTYSS

Man...never fails. All the Zurich products went up 5 bucks.

teddyca, yeah the one you posted is the next level up from the one I posted. Is it really worth nearly double the price?

UrbanKnight, the word cheap scares me. lol Is it reliable? Do you own one? Do they make it for an iPhone?

overdriv, do they make it for an iPhone? I did a quick search and Windows and Android popped up.

crosive, is it something you own? “And much more”...can you elaborate?

I’m not trying to skimp here, but I also don’t need any high dollar professional equipment.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFIFTYSS View Post
Man...never fails. All the Zurich products went up 5 bucks.

teddyca, yeah the one you posted is the next level up from the one I posted. Is it really worth nearly double the price?

UrbanKnight, the word cheap scares me. lol Is it reliable? Do you own one? Do they make it for an iPhone?

overdriv, do they make it for an iPhone? I did a quick search and Windows and Android popped up.

crosive, is it something you own? “And much more”...can you elaborate?

I’m not trying to skimp here, but I also don’t need any high dollar professional equipment.
I own several obdII bluetooth scanners that I use for my phone. I keep one in each car.

it can scan codes and clear everything from the ecu (had no luck on any other control unit however).

with torque pro on my phone, I can see everything the ecu can see.

Boost
timing advance
anything fuel related (level, current mpg, miles to empty, etc)
cat temps
fuel rail pressure
map pressure, before and after the throttle body
intake air temps from various sensors
injector duty cycle
injector pulse width
lambda actual
lambda commanded

too many to list here, but there are a few that I use on my vehicles.

not all of these are related to the camaro, or specifically. It all boils down to what vehicle you plug it into and what the ecu is actually let it read.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:52 PM   #11
TXFIFTYSS

crosive, that’s a good idea if I decide to go that route (likely I will, one in each car). I searched for Torque Pro in the App Store and found it for $8.99. Is there a free version? You stated that you have/used a bunch of Bluetooth scanners...did you have a favorite or was that the one you posted? Do you have any experience with the one that was posted/linked to Amazon? Panlong.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
crosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFIFTYSS View Post
crosive, that’s a good idea if I decide to go that route (likely I will, one in each car). I searched for Torque Pro in the App Store and found it for $8.99. Is there a free version? You stated that you have/used a bunch of Bluetooth scanners...did you have a favorite or was that the one you posted? Do you have any experience with the one that was posted/linked to Amazon? Panlong.
torque does have a free version, and it does do some things, but it's been so long that I don't remember what exactly differentiates it from the pro version. you can atleast try the free version to make sure it works for you.

I don't have any specific experience with the one listed, but if he says it works, then it should be fine.

I have several of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

they work great, but are a tad long, and can get in the way if you leave them plugged in.

my favorite one isn't sold anywhere that I can find anymore, but it's the size of the panlong one, except it has an on/off button, so you can keep it plugged in all the time, and just turn it on/off as needed instead of unplugging it.
Old 11-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #13
ZarusSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanKnight View Post
You can always grab the el cheapo bluetooth dongle and an app for your phone... cheap and easy

https://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluet...s%2C169&sr=8-6
Can this be just plugged in when there's a check engine light or do i have to leave it plugged in all the time?
ZarusSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #14
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
Just when needed
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote