Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
What power increase on 17/18 ZL1 tune only?

Can all of you 17/18 ZL1 owners that’s had a professional dyno tune please share the RWHP increase you picked up? Tune only or tune plus intake, but NO other mods? Please indicate what octane fuel used.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
Boost or bust

Seriously? NOBODY has tuned a stock 17/18 ZL1?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
from what I've read, you don't stand to pick up much from just a tune, as the factory tune is pretty good.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost or bust View Post
Can all of you 17/18 ZL1 owners that’s had a professional dyno tune please share the RWHP increase you picked up? Tune only or tune plus intake, but NO other mods? Please indicate what octane fuel used.
A Tooner could force it to make more power on the dyno to collect your money but it is unlikely the engine will live very long.

GM didn't purposely leave any power on the table like the old days in the 90s

Custom tuning should be left for aftermarket part optimization.

Power increases will come from LT headers, exhaust, and smaller pulley or larger blower, Camshaft etc.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:48 PM   #5
Boost or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
A Tooner could force it to make more power on the dyno to collect your money but it is unlikely the engine will live very long.

GM didn't purposely leave any power on the table like the old days in the 90s

Custom tuning should be left for aftermarket part optimization.

Power increases will come from LT headers, exhaust, and smaller pulley or larger blower, Camshaft etc.

Ted.
Ted: so, are you saying for me not to waste my money tuning a stock car ( except it does have rotofab) and wait until i add hardware?
Old 05-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Ted: so, are you saying for me not to waste my money tuning a stock car ( except it does have rotofab) and wait until i add hardware?
You asked specifically about RWHP gains from tuning alone on a stock car.

So I answered that question.

Now I can change the way the car feels from the driver seat, through torque management reduction, cooling fans on earlier, skip shift off in the case of a manual, transmission tuning in the auto we can certainly give you a more spirited driving experience but no real RWHP gains.

Add in the Rotofab and that changes the game, Rotofab spends a lot of time dialing in they cold air kits so they don't affect the calibration to much.

But with careful data logging and tuning we can dial that in for best performance on top of the other changes I mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Ted.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 AM   #7
Boost or bust

Quote:
You asked specifically about RWHP gains from tuning alone on a stock car.

So I answered that question.

Now I can change the way the car feels from the driver seat, through torque management reduction, cooling fans on earlier, skip shift off in the case of a manual, transmission tuning in the auto we can certainly give you a more spirited driving experience but no real RWHP gains.

Add in the Rotofab and that changes the game, Rotofab spends a lot of time dialing in they cold air kits so they don't affect the calibration to much.

But with careful data logging and tuning we can dial that in for best performance on top of the other changes I mentioned.

Hope this helps.

Ted.
Yes, thank you. I’m stuck with 91 octane and emissions laws, so no “obvious” visual mods for now. I’m to,d that just bolting on one of the blower upgrades from Whipple, Magnuson, Edelbrock will add little without other breathing changes such as headers. If my goal were to add 100 RWHP, is this possible without exhaust mods?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Yes, thank you. I’m stuck with 91 octane and emissions laws, so no “obvious” visual mods for now. I’m to,d that just bolting on one of the blower upgrades from Whipple, Magnuson, Edelbrock will add little without other breathing changes such as headers. If my goal were to add 100 RWHP, is this possible without exhaust mods?
75 RWHP is possible on 91 octane with our street package.
Rotofab
ATI superdamper
15% crank pulley and belt.
ARP crank bolt
HPtuners VCM suite.
custom JRE tuning.

Call me for an estimate when ready 203-753-7223
Old 06-04-2018, 07:06 AM   #9
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
With a supercharger, you can’t control the boost with the ecu, so power gains will be minimal. A tune only on a turbo car increases the boost, so they make a lot more power. There are really no supercharged or NA vehicles that make any considerably more power with just a tune. Most gains come from just adjusting the timing and afr to be less conservative to account for the higher octane fue you’re only going to use.

What you need is a new pulley to spin the supercharger faster, that combined with a tune would have the same effect as a tune only turbo car.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
bomariam1

Drives: 2018 ZL1, Cadillac ATS-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
With a supercharger, you can’t control the boost with the ecu, so power gains will be minimal. A tune only on a turbo car increases the boost, so they make a lot more power. There are really no supercharged or NA vehicles that make any considerably more power with just a tune. Most gains come from just adjusting the timing and afr to be less conservative to account for the higher octane fue you’re only going to use.

What you need is a new pulley to spin the supercharger faster, that combined with a tune would have the same effect as a tune only turbo car.

The LT4 is not a normal SC, it has a boost control valve that is controlled by the ECU.
bomariam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomariam1 View Post
The LT4 is not a normal SC, it has a boost control valve that is controlled by the ECU.
The computer can only dump the boost for a failure or torque management.

Max boost is still determined by the size of the supercharger and pulley ratio.

Ted.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:10 PM   #12
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
Ted, once I can put in more seat time and really know my car plus convince my wife that a warranty is just a way to keep us down I will be giving you a call.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #13
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markoz28 View Post
Ted, once I can put in more seat time and really know my car plus convince my wife that a warranty is just a way to keep us down I will be giving you a call.
I look forward to working with you.

Tell here it gets better gas mileage that always works LOL.

Ted.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:25 AM   #14
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
75 RWHP is possible on 91 octane with our street package.
Rotofab
ATI superdamper
15% crank pulley and belt.
ARP crank bolt
HPtuners VCM suite.
custom JRE tuning.
Would this melt the stock cats? A few other posts I’ve read seem to think it will...
How much more power could be gained from 94 Octane as well as LT Headers and high flow cats?