Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #29
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Update; dealership called me and said that GM told them to replace the entire fuel tank and fuel pick up assembly instead of just the fuel pick up assembly.

I sure hope they find some obviously wrong when they pull the tank out in a few weeks so that I can have some confidence that this issue is resolved once and for all.
Old 11-15-2019, 06:51 PM   #30
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
You should be thankful

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
As the title says, I just discovered that my front GY SC3's are corded on the inside edges after 15 track sessions and 5,500 miles/4 months of daily driving with the track alignment specified for the ZL1.

I was surprised by this as I thought it would be the outside shoulders that would cord first, they sure look like they are about too as well since there are no groves or tread channels left on the outsides edges of the front tires.

I remember some forum members saying that the SC3R's corded first on the inside for them, so perhaps GY designed these similar in that regard.

Has anyone else had these tires cord on the inside before the outside? And if so, after how many track sessions and/or miles on the road?
That you got that much mileage out of your SC3s. Amazing! I got 6 track days and 4500 miles out of my set. Congrats.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #31
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
That you got that much mileage out of your SC3s. Amazing! I got 6 track days and 4500 miles out of my set. Congrats.
I had 15 track sessions not 15 track days.

How many track sessions did you have in your 6 track days?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:43 PM   #32
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Update; dealership called me and said that GM told them to replace the entire fuel tank and fuel pick up assembly instead of just the fuel pick up assembly.

I sure hope they find some obviously wrong when they pull the tank out in a few weeks so that I can have some confidence that this issue is resolved once and for all.
Fingers crossed for ya. Good to see corporate GM taking an extra step here. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #33
TrackClub

Quote:
I had 15 track sessions not 15 track days.

How many track sessions did you have in your 6 track days?
Fyi i usually get 6 to 7 days out of mine. 4x30min sessions per day. I suspect your alignment issues played a role in yours cording prematurely. Cheers!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #34
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Fingers crossed for ya. Good to see corporate GM taking an extra step here. Cheers!
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #35
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Fyi i usually get 6 to 7 days out of mine. 4x30min sessions per day. I suspect your alignment issues played a role in yours cording prematurely. Cheers!
Yeah probably that and a really corner heavy tough track along with over driving.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:11 AM   #36
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
It is normal on the Camaro platform. It is due to a dynamic toe change mid-corner when the inside, unweight tire basically gets a crap tone of toe out and is "dragged" through the corner. Nothing you can do to change it.
I've noticed this as well. Usually one of my front tires gets more outside wear while the other gets more inside wear at a given track. It's not necessarily clockwise/counter-clockwise, I think it has more to do with the tighter corners with more steering lock and more trail braking putting extra stress on the fronts.

I wonder if running a bit less front camber combined with more rear ARB and more rake could help? Idea being less camber -- less inside wear, but to keep from understeering, use the ARB and rake.

Previous cars:
- 2018 Miata RF GT (Machine Gray/Auburn)
- 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE (Summit White)
- 2008 BMW 135i (Montego Blue)
- 1996 BMW 328i (Arctic Silver)
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #37
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Quote:
As the title says, I just discovered that my front GY SC3's are corded on the inside edges after 15 track sessions and 5,500 miles/4 months of daily driving with the track alignment specified for the ZL1.

I was surprised by this as I thought it would be the outside shoulders that would cord first, they sure look like they are about too as well since there are no groves or tread channels left on the outsides edges of the front tires.

I remember some forum members saying that the SC3R's corded first on the inside for them, so perhaps GY designed these similar in that regard.

Has anyone else had these tires cord on the inside before the outside? And if so, after how many track sessions and/or miles on the road?
I think you should be happy with 15 and 5500 that is above average
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #38
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repman View Post
I think you should be happy with 15 and 5500 that is above average
Yes for G3R. No for G3, which is what GMG was running on his ZL1. This is academic anyway as his alignment was *severely* off and likely ended up being dynamic due to poorly fastened bolts.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #39
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
I've noticed this as well. Usually one of my front tires gets more outside wear while the other gets more inside wear at a given track. It's not necessarily clockwise/counter-clockwise, I think it has more to do with the tighter corners with more steering lock and more trail braking putting extra stress on the fronts.

I wonder if running a bit less front camber combined with more rear ARB and more rake could help? Idea being less camber -- less inside wear, but to keep from understeering, use the ARB and rake.
After 3 full seasons and many tire sets, at several (7) varying venues i have *never* experienced one tire wearing on the outside and one on the inside. I get near perfect wear regardless of CW or CCW tracks even without swapping rims L with R. Ovals excepted, rd courses usually offer 60/40 direction changes, so close enough...Also, going fast in fast sweepers causes much higher loads on tires vs going fast in slow corners.

Ive corded just one set of G3 fronts, both on the inside due to a very abrasive track surface, but both tires had the same, even wear pattern across at 2.6F 1.6R. So, perhaps your alignment has walked as was the case with GMG?

Also, *proper* trailbraking should help the tire wear vs cause it. But braking way too late, or not enough and overloading fronts into driver induced understeer will chew them up real fast. The solution is driver skill not car set up. NB PTM choice may also matter here.

Cheers!
Old 01-08-2020, 12:47 AM   #40
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Yes for G3R. No for G3, which is what GMG was running on his ZL1. This is academic anyway as his alignment was *severely* off and likely ended up being dynamic due to poorly fastened bolts.
Going to a reputable shop for the alignment next time instead of the dealership.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:29 AM   #41
TrackClub

Quote:
Going to a reputable shop for the alignment next time instead of the dealership.
I lucked out at a dealership, but only because their alignment tech was a circle track racer and he sure knew his stuff! Keep in mind it is a good idea to check the alignment after an event or so, just in case. Id ask that such verification (and correction if necessary) is part of the original price. Fyi: mine has lasted 3 seasons! Best of luck and cheers!

Tags
corded, goodyear, sc3, track