Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 10-16-2019, 09:14 AM   #1
rocket403

Drives: 80 Cutlass 403, 2010 FF RT
Is a Challenger ACR coming

There is some talk that the Challenger ACR could be coming to a dealer near you in the future.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/15/...acr-track-car/
rocket403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
If FCA makes this vehicle and truly makes it a formidable force on the track, I believe it is safe to say that they have done the most with the least.

I've said it before, FCA has been in a financial straight-jacket for years and doesn't have the funds to engineer a new Challenger. What they have done is take a 10+ year old platform and mutate this thing into many different variations to keep the Mopar faithful happy. I'm not a Mopar guy, but competition breeds success and by them continuing to push the envelope, it keeps GM and Ford on their toes. I like it!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM   #3
JROC
Account Suspended

Drives: 19 Camaro SS 1LE, 03 Ford Lightning
I sure hope not. This platform need to die. Even back in 04 when the 05 300C was introduced the LX platform was just ok. Noone raved about how great the platform it was built on was. You know not great, but not bad. The car makes for a good value as a large comfortable RWD family sedan. It's based off an old E-Class chassis with a few S-Class front suspension parts if I'm remembering correctly. It's just old and dated, and too big to really be considered a track star. Would people have taken a Ford Panther platform car serious if Ford invested a lot of money to make like a SVT Crown Vic R? Would people of been happy with a Panther based Mustang? It would of had a Watts link. A LX/LD/LA or whatever they call the chassis would struggle to compete with a CTS-V in handling as Alpha is a much better platform. It would really struggle with a ZL1 1LE and new GT500 on a road course IMHO. The next Challenger is supposed to be a lot lighter and built on a more modern and more performance oriented chassis.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
The next Challenger is supposed to be a lot lighter and built on a more modern and more performance oriented chassis.
Which means, if this forum is any indication, people will whine about it being too small and claim they will not buy one.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #5
rocket403

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Which means, if this forum is any indication, people will whine about it being too small and claim they will not buy one.
I think that is one of the reasons that Dodge has put back the development of a new Challenger platform, it is selling well and more people are buying the Charger/Challenger so don't fix it if it's not broke.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:34 PM   #6
RagingHawk

Drives: Fuel efficient compact sedan :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
I think that is one of the reasons that Dodge has put back the development of a new Challenger platform, it is selling well and more people are buying the Charger/Challenger so don't fix it if it's not broke.
Yep, the Challenger and Charger scatpacks/hellcats have been such huge hits. The designer of those cars really nailed it and the buyers of those cars certainly like the large size of them. Dodge should keep this formula going forward without moving to an Alfa platform. Which they aren't going to do, I believe the FCA head said they will shave some weight off with the existing platform. Those scat packs on a diet of 200 pounds would be really nice I'd imagine.
RagingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:06 AM   #7
V8 Firebird

Drives: ⚡Electric TM3 ⚡
I feel Challenger ACR program could be canceled in future, as FCA is going to combine with PSA.

Alfa Romeo has decided to give up their future sport cars and kills 4C.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:12 AM   #8
rocket403

Dodge is still rumored to be looking at a ACR Challenger, where there is smoke there is fire I would think

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...-set-for-2021/
1998 Monte Carlo SS
1980 Cutlass Supreme 403
Old 06-03-2020, 03:29 PM   #9
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket403 View Post
Dodge is still rumored to be looking at a ACR Challenger, where there is smoke there is fire I would think

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/...-set-for-2021/
Weight is said to be significantly decreased through use of carbon fiber and aluminum to hit a target of under 4,000 lbs.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #10
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
IF SO, on the 50th Anniversary:
The Challenger ACR they are releasing would be a track-only variant; presented
as a follow-up to the sold-out Challenger Demon. They're adding more down-force
by adding a full body kit that will include a huge adjustable rear wing shaped like
the one fitted to the Viper ACR. The widebody variant of the Challenger, which
handles considerably better than its narrow-bodied sibling, and it will rely on
composite materials like carbon fiber to keep weight in check, under 4000 lbs.

It will receive more extreme modifications than the Challenger SRT8 ACR that
Dodge introduced during the 2011 SEMA show but never approved for
production.

There was still talk of a street legal version.

The supercharger is not allowed in some amateur racing series or classes,
so a 392 makes sense in this application. Carbon fiber will replace steel
or aluminum wherever practical.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Sounds good. I wish there was something to talk about with the Camaro other than it's potential demise.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote