Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 11-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #1
CamaroGen6

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
CEL after KN drop in air filter

Had an oil change done last Saturday (11/02) by Chevy. The following day I installed the KN drop in air filter. Not the typhoon Cai; it's the cheaper KN filter that goes inside the stock housing. On Wednesday (11/05) I get a check engine light for code P0020 - "B" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 2). Took it back to Chevy on Friday (11/08) but the code had cleared by itself. While they were able to see the code in the history, they "didn't find anything to be done" so they sent me away after clearing the code histories. I thought we were good then the code returned yesterday.

I haven't done a diagnostic check to see what the code is this time, but I suspect it's the same one. Car is running fine, and I think I notice a very slight increase in throttle response but that may just be placebo effect.

Has anyone else gotten a cel after installing a KN filter? Should I keep driving it in hopes that the computer will just learn to accept the slight increase in air flow (if that's the cause.) I threw the old filter as it was too dirty to keep. I'm still in warranty btw, I'm at 28k miles.
Old 11-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the drop in filter will not cause a CEL. Period.

you either have something that is coincidental or you failed to either re-install the airbox or something else was disconnected/jostled so that it is not making good contact or is now loose.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
There should be no correlation between that code and a filter. Unless the air box was not reattached properly or the filter had too much oil, which could I suppose throw a MAF code, I think it is a coincidence.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #4
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Put a K&N filter in mine and had no CEL or anything
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #5
LARRY01Z28

Drives: 2001Camaro Z28
like the above two people said nothing should do that unless oil from the k & n got on the maf.
LARRY01Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
""I threw the old filter as it was too dirty to keep. I'm still in warranty btw, I'm at 28k miles.""

I say its not related, just coincident. no one's reported cam sensor cel on an air filter replacement afaik. Your gonna go through filters presumably and its not a risky replacement. Get a code reader system. If its intermittent but repeating thats proof enough, have it fixed by the dealer, that part is pretty cheap for them to replace.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cel, kn air filter, p0020