Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2018, 07:28 PM   #1
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
First true manual

So my '17 SS M6 is my personal first manual car, I come from riding dirt bikes and street bikes so I know the science between man vs machine in terms of upshifting and downshifting. My question is does the Active Rev Match feature work with upshifting as well? The reason why I ask/say this is every time I have it on I feel like my upshifts are much smoother compared to when I have it off. I feel like I have to put more conscious effort into upshifting smoothly when I have it off. I've driven a few manual cars just to get from one point to another like once in while but before my Camaro that was pretty much my experience car wise...like I said I've been riding dirtbikes, quads and street bikes for quite a few years so I know the science. I've been driving more without ARM to become more acquainted to fix that "conscious effort" and make the upshifts more smooth.

Last question sometimes when I downshift and brake at the same time with ARM activated I get a slight jerk no matter how smooth I let the clutch out, sometimes its really smooth going into braking and sometimes I feel like theres a slight, slight jerkiness.

I would appreciate any tips!
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Yes it rev matches on upshift as well. It'll hold the RPMs till you release the clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Maybe this will help. Like said already. It works both up and down.

Last edited by motorhead; 07-24-2018 at 11:41 PM.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #4
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Maybe this will help. Like said already. It works both up and down.
Thanks man! I read the manual once I guess I just had downshift implanted in my head since that's when I notice it the most.
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 PM   #5
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
For all with manuals do you use this all the time or certain times?

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
I haven't touched this feature yet. Might try it some day just for curiosity's sake.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 AM   #7
Sev

Drives: 2016 2SS / 2004 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
For all with manuals do you use this all the time or certain times?

Ryan B.
I turn it on every time I start the car.

"I'm going to drink you pretty, beautiful toad"
Sev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #8
Gabhart

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Use it every time I drive the car. Loved it when my wife asked "Why are you doing that?" the first time I downshifted with it on.
Gabhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #9
srcstc

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
I turn it on every time I start the car.

Me too I love it. I wish it didn't do it on upshift though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srcstc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
guitarman8373

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro fully loaded.
A computer can rev match faster than humanely possible. And 99% of the time ARM does it perfect. I like to turn it off and practice for myself sometimes but why waste the extra gas and wear on the clutch if you don't need to. Doing it yourself is more fun and engaging but when you're constantly making turns and breaking at the same time and aren't experienced with heel-toe shifting, ARM is awesome.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
BrianL

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Hot, NPP, Nav, M6
Personally, I don't really like the feature and never use it. I see no need for the rev match on all the time. Also have had manuals since 1970, so have a fair bit of practice by now. I also came from motocross bikes before I had my first manual and that experience helped me slip right into driving a manual car.

This Tremec transmission is in my opinion a great transmission. I'm are you will do well at mastering it very soon
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #12
Gen6 softtop

Drives: Hyper blue 1ss convertible 6 sp
Love the Rev match, why would anybody not use this tech so smooth
Gen6 softtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #13
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCav View Post
Last question sometimes when I downshift and brake at the same time with ARM activated I get a slight jerk no matter how smooth I let the clutch out, sometimes its really smooth going into braking and sometimes I feel like theres a slight, slight jerkiness.

I would appreciate any tips!
The driving mode may affect this. The throttle response curve varies with driving mode. I am not sure if the ARM uses the same response curves linked to driving mode, but it may. A quick test of this would be using the snow/ice mode, which is a noticeably more gradual throttle response compared to the other modes.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #14
Co2SS

Drives: 2022 Satin Steel ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman8373 View Post
A computer can rev match faster than humanely possible. And 99% of the time ARM does it perfect. I like to turn it off and practice for myself sometimes but why waste the extra gas and wear on the clutch if you don't need to. Doing it yourself is more fun and engaging but when you're constantly making turns and breaking at the same time and aren't experienced with heel-toe shifting, ARM is awesome.
I agree that ARM is perfect. All I have ever driven is manual transmission so I can and occasionally do rev-match myself, but ARM is perfect. I turn it on EVERY time I start the car. The computer is way faster and more precise, and the lessened wear-and-tear on the driveline by having the computer do it exactly every time is awesome. I have seen past threads with complaints about it revving when it shouldn't. It does not. If you drive it correctly the revving is always caused by the confusing actions of the driver, not the car being confused.
Example: If you are driving along in 2nd gear and push the clutch in for a second and don't shift gears the car is going to because it is thinking "ok he pushed in the clutch but hasn't shifted gears so he must have clutched in with the intention of shifting to another gear but changed his mind and is still in 2nd, but now that the RPMs have dropped significantly due to the clutch-in I must rev back up to the proper RPM for the anticipated clutch-out." If the driver isn't confusing or indecisive with the clutch and gear changing there is no mistaken revving.
Co2SS is offline   Reply With Quote