Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-26-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
ChevyCav

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Future Mods

Hello all, reaching out to the community to extract some information from those who know more about forced induction and modifications that come along with these upgrades. I've been reading up and down the forums for information and I just want straight answers.

I plan on buying a TT kit eventually for my 2017 1SS M6. What is the max horsepower/torque at the rear wheel for stock internals for the LT1? I've read 650, 700, 750? Just want a clearer answer. Also would this requiring transmission upgrades? Such has a higher HP rated clutch, axle and diff?

To my knowledge from what I've read, the stock connecting rods are forged but the pistons are not so this is one of the limitations for high HP builds and the fact the stock fuel system also runs out of gas up top.

Now going forward I plan on adding cams which include beefing up the valve train and I figure this would be the best time to add in drop in pistons, but obviously labor $$ is a factor. So I might just skip this step for now and go straight to forced induction. I don't want anything crazy I feel like 600-650 hp/torque to wheels would keep everything still street friendly but allow for that rush on open road. Just want input on the reliability of the engine with that amount of horsepower on stock internals and what I can do to maintain that reliability.
ChevyCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:59 AM   #2
Soleil

Drives: Camaro 50th anniversary edition
600-560HP with a compressor is for the original internal no problem. Than you are at the ZL1 level. If you drive it normal it will last for ever. If you go weekly on the track/ drag I would change probably the clutch and other train parts. If you consult a good tuning shop he will give you the best advice
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleil View Post
600-560HP with a compressor is for the original internal no problem. Than you are at the ZL1 level. If you drive it normal it will last for ever. If you go weekly on the track/ drag I would change probably the clutch and other train parts. If you consult a good tuning shop he will give you the best advice
600-650 you meant? I was thinking going to put cams and forged internals at the same time since from what I've ready you already have to take apart majority of the motor or even pull it so might as do it then and there. But at the same time labor is going cost more than the parts most likely, which pushes me more to just FI and leave it around that 600-650 mark...but of course I might get bored and want more later down the road...

Thanks for the info, I recently saw that video of that guys red Camaro blowing up at sub 600 hp on the dyno so was questioning the reliability for a min.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 PM   #4
ChevyCav

Any other input anyone?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:24 AM   #5
MSMYYC
@maplefed

Drives: 16' MBM 2SS,
It is all in the tune for reliability. These LT1’s are not as simple as an LS. Regardless what forced induction you choose, your limiting factor will first be fuel, octane and supply, then it will pistons. You can leave it at 7-8 psi pump gas, add a cam, make 600wheel on a mustang dyno and have it live.

Speak to a good performance shop. Asking the internet is great for getting a start, but speak with someone who can understand your goals and make them happen. Reading your goals and understanding of these LT engines, makes this something I cannot stress enough. That saves things from being lost in translation and confusion.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMYYC View Post
It is all in the tune for reliability. These LT1’s are not as simple as an LS. Regardless what forced induction you choose, your limiting factor will first be fuel, octane and supply, then it will pistons. You can leave it at 7-8 psi pump gas, add a cam, make 600wheel on a mustang dyno and have it live.

Speak to a good performance shop. Asking the internet is great for getting a start, but speak with someone who can understand your goals and make them happen. Reading your goals and understanding of these LT engines, makes this something I cannot stress enough. That saves things from being lost in translation and confusion.
Thanks for the info, what do you mean not as simple as an LS, is that a good or bad thing?
Old 12-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
MSMYYC
@maplefed

Drives: 16' MBM 2SS,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyCav View Post
Thanks for the info, what do you mean not as simple as an LS, is that a good or bad thing?
For power and efficiency, a good thing.

For fueling, tuning and versatility, less so.

These engines are more complex and the ecm requires an adapted approach. Commanded torque is an example. Just make sure you are going to someone who has done many LT1’s. Not a few. Save yourself the hassle and possible nightmare.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:16 AM   #8
ChevyCav

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSMYYC View Post
For power and efficiency, a good thing.

For fueling, tuning and versatility, less so.

These engines are more complex and the ecm requires an adapted approach. Commanded torque is an example. Just make sure you are going to someone who has done many LT1’s. Not a few. Save yourself the hassle and possible nightmare.
That's what worries me, I live in NJ and there isn't many Camaro tuners around me that I know of at least. But that's great advice thank you.