Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Ported LT1 or LT4 cylinder heads - are they worth the money?
Yes, I believe ported heads are worth the money. 15 51.72%
No, I don't believe ported heads are worth the money. 1 3.45%
I have no clue, but I'm here to learn! 13 44.83%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-02-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
WEAPON-X

Drives: ZL1 ATS-V CTS-V C7Z Range Sport SC
Question WEAPON-X Tech Thread: Ported Heads - worth it or na?

So, before we delve into this with factual data, I am curious to see what the community's thoughts are as far as porting the heads. I'm compiling a few builds right now to lay it all out. I have heard a lot of guys say head porting nets very little, but we also all know there is a vast difference between power under the curve and peak power.

Any head porter will tell you that CFM is for suckers as there are a lot of factors that come into play with ported heads that cannot be measured on a flow bench, such as port velocity and timing.

Any good head porter will also tell you that the LT1 and LT4 heads suffer from severe core shift and I can affirm this first hand after seeing multiple sets of CNC'ed heads from a very popular engine builder that still had the OEM casting in portions of the walls.

So, anyone buying heads that aren't hand finished, is likely leaving power on the table to begin with as these places offering cheap CNC heads are doing so for a reason

So, I'll start off with a poll while I finish compiling this!

WEAPON-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #2
WEAPON-X

To bump this up, here is the validation of our stage 2 ported heads worth their money with approximately a 50whp swing.* These two Whipple LT engines both have forged pistons, the same compression, the same cam, the same trans and gear ratio, same e70ish pump gas, and the ported head car has the same power nearly 500 RPMs sooner or 50whp more at any given RPM up until the shift point where they meet back up.* I found this pretty interesting * Our head porter used to work for/with GM having helped develop the LS7 head for example and to this day, he has always knocked it out of the park for us with his CNC ports and hand finishing.* He is the first to say CFM is for suckers LOL as the port design, valve job, and hand blending is how to get the power!**

WEAPON-X Ported Stage 2 Heads:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...nt=37648767697

Old 09-24-2018, 01:49 AM   #3
aa1

Drives: toyota land cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
To bump this up, here is the validation of our stage 2 ported heads worth their money with approximately a 50whp swing.* These two Whipple LT engines both have forged pistons, the same compression, the same cam, the same trans and gear ratio, same e70ish pump gas, and the ported head car has the same power nearly 500 RPMs sooner or 50whp more at any given RPM up until the shift point where they meet back up.* I found this pretty interesting * Our head porter used to work for/with GM having helped develop the LS7 head for example and to this day, he has always knocked it out of the park for us with his CNC ports and hand finishing.* He is the first to say CFM is for suckers LOL as the port design, valve job, and hand blending is how to get the power!**

WEAPON-X Ported Stage 2 Heads:
https://weaponxmotorsports.com/produ...nt=37648767697

so this heads with a proper cam make 600hp n/a ?
aa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1 View Post
so this heads with a proper cam make 600hp n/a ?
It responds more on a boosted application; however, our cam/heads/headers/intake/e85 package has laid down a stout 575whp!
Old 09-24-2018, 10:29 AM   #5
18ss376

Drives: Camaro
Every head I have had ported has increased power, I've had stock to drag racing heads & there is power every time I've had heads ported.
18ss376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:13 PM   #6
aa1

Drives: toyota land cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEAPON-X View Post
It responds more on a boosted application; however, our cam/heads/headers/intake/e85 package has laid down a stout 575whp!
thanks
estimate gain for the stage 2 and 3 w/out e85 or meth tuned to 95?
what are the list mode and cost on both packages?
aa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:01 PM   #7
WEAPON-X

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa1 View Post
thanks
estimate gain for the stage 2 and 3 w/out e85 or meth tuned to 95?
what are the list mode and cost on both packages?
I can put together a quote for you, PM me your email?

Stage 2 or 3 what, heads or cam? Our dimple ported heads (think golf ball)are best suited for port injected cars, be that LS or port injection added LT cars as the fuel mixed air is kept off the port walls. So, if heads I'd stick to stage 2 on a DI engine.

X650 package:
Intake
Ported Manifold or MSD manifold
WXM Stage 2/3 Cam Kit
WXM Stage 2 ported heads
2" AR or Kooks headers and x pipe (do you need cats?)
Catch Can
WXM Valve Covers with PCV Kit
WXM X650 Badges
WXM X650 Floor Mats
WXM Base Calibration
Optional Unlocked T87 PCM for A8 cars with core exchange

If this is what you're after, let me know!

Tags
flow, heads, lt1 ported, lt4 ported, worth it