Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-04-2023, 08:21 PM   #1
whitelt1

Drives: '23 LT1 Convertible (Auto)
When is first free service allowed?

I got my '23 LT1 Camaro (Convertible auto model) brand new off the dealer lot in July and I'm looking to do my first service at 2200 miles which is supposed to include an oil change, tire rotation, top off fluids, and brake inspection and I plan on changing the diff fluid as well (aware that it is not included)

The dealer closest by that I usually go to told me that it doesn't exist and you only get a free oil change from the dealer you bought the car at. I figured something was wrong here so I called Chevrolet customer service and they confirmed I am supposed to get a first free service, but it depends on dealer policy and they are unsure of why that dealer wouldn't cover it.

I decided to call another dealer after hearing this and reading further reviews that pissed me off. They acknowledged that I get a first free service, but told me that it is due at 5000 miles and they were unsure that I would be eligible for it since I'm doing it so early, but told me that I could schedule an appointment and the service advisor could speak to me about whether I get it or not. I did try to press them to answer my question, but they couldn't.

I want to know, am I supposed to be eligible at any time? What was your experience? I'm just very confused.
whitelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 08:56 PM   #2
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
I wouldnt let a dealer touch my car unless its a warranty issue I couldnt deal with on my own like when my supercharger failed at 20K miles....and its my in laws that own the dealership I ordered from. I've heard too many bad stories about several dealerships on here.
It was no big loss to me and I know for certain that everything was done to MY standards.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:02 PM   #3
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I got my oil changed at 510 miles for free at the dealer I bought my car from. This was a couple months ago.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:08 PM   #4
nprario

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le HBM
GM pays for the first oil change on new car purchases and it should not matter what Dealer you take it to or how soon you want to do it.
nprario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:17 PM   #5
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
My first service was on day 2 when I noticed they'd accidentally installed the track brake deflectors No questions asked, no money charged, I stumbled upon an absolutely fantastic service department.

That aside, you are entitled to a free oil change, and you should be able to "call" that anytime. I had my first oil change at 500 miles and the second at 1500 miles, along with a diff fluid change, all free (back in 2018 GM used to grant 2 free fluid exchanges, I think it's down to 1 these days).

If the service department is giving you pain over the timing of this, you need to find a better dealership. They are out there, but unfortunately you can't simply walk into one and expect to be lucky, those days seem to be over (if they ever were in the first place).

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:19 PM   #6
whitelt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nprario View Post
GM pays for the first oil change on new car purchases and it should not matter what Dealer you take it to or how soon you want to do it.
Damn. I wonder what was going on with that first dealer I called. Lots of people in my area complain about all local dealers. I guess far away is where I should go. The second dealer know more about what they are doing considering they are even aware of the first free service at all.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:22 PM   #7
whitelt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
My first service was on day 2 when I noticed they'd accidentally installed the track brake deflectors No questions asked, no money charged, I stumbled upon an absolutely fantastic service department.

That aside, you are entitled to a free oil change, and you should be able to "call" that anytime. I had my first oil change at 500 miles and the second at 1500 miles, along with a diff fluid change, all free (back in 2018 GM used to grant 2 free fluid exchanges, I think it's down to 1 these days).

If the service department is giving you pain over the timing of this, you need to find a better dealership. They are out there, but unfortunately you can't simply walk into one and expect to be lucky, those days seem to be over (if they ever were in the first place).
Yeah dealers these days are shady. Especially where I live all of the local dealers are known to suck according to many who go there. I heard horror stories where local dealers crashed and totaled their car during service and was going to make them buy a new car or going through the vehicle owner's personal insurance.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:32 PM   #8
whitelt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
I wouldnt let a dealer touch my car unless its a warranty issue I couldnt deal with on my own like when my supercharger failed at 20K miles....and its my in laws that own the dealership I ordered from. I've heard too many bad stories about several dealerships on here.
It was no big loss to me and I know for certain that everything was done to MY standards.
Well hey, if you can do it yourself, more power to you. Personally I'd like to take advantage of the free service. Besides, this is not my first car but the first car that I feel enthusiastic about. I've never really done my own work on a car before besides helping my father a little bit working on my previous car in the past.

I'm willing to do things like oil changes myself, but I was told by someone that it's necessary to do a service at a dealer so that the oil change is recorded or else the warranty is voided. I'm not saying that as a fact nor do I know if it is true but I'm starting to doubt that, but wondering if anyone had any thoughts onnit.
Old 12-04-2023, 09:33 PM   #9
CTRifecta

Drives: 2SS 1LE
How much does the rear diff change run typically?
Vehicle Built (per chevy chat bot) - 10/10/23
Window sticker available online - 11/4/23
Arrived at dealership - 11/10/23
CTRifecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:46 PM   #10
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
I wouldnt let a dealer touch my car unless its a warranty issue I couldnt deal with on my own

I agree, I didn't even take it in for the "free" oil change... I'd rather do the work myself and know it is done right, I've heard far, far, far too many dealer horror stories!

My car has been to the dealer twice in the nearly 4 years I've had it, the first time was for the ECM Flash for the GM Performance Cold Air Intake (free) and the second was at about 2,900 miles when I ran into a issue (see this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585372) that was a Service Bulletin and needed an ECM flash update to fix so that it wouldn't happen again...

Both times I told the dealer "DO NOT WASH THE CAR" and at least they listened to that...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:25 PM   #11
whitelt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I agree, I didn't even take it in for the "free" oil change... I'd rather do the work myself and know it is done right, I've heard far, far, far too many dealer horror stories!

My car has been to the dealer twice in the nearly 4 years I've had it, the first time was for the ECM Flash for the GM Performance Cold Air Intake (free) and the second was at about 2,900 miles when I ran into a issue (see this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585372) that was a Service Bulletin and needed an ECM flash update to fix so that it wouldn't happen again...

Both times I told the dealer "DO NOT WASH THE CAR" and at least they listened to that...
Yeah that do not wash the car part is important. I have a ceramic coat and PPF which will mess that up and obviously their machines will screw up paint.
Old 12-04-2023, 11:31 PM   #12
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelt1 View Post
Yeah that do not wash the car part is important. I have a ceramic coat and PPF which will mess that up and obviously their machines will screw up paint.
I do as well, full frontal PPF plus a bit more and Ceramic Coating... I don't want anyone touching my car unnecessarily...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:50 PM   #13
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
My dealer is one on the top 10 corvette dealers in the country... I have been very happy with my service. Other than tires and brakes they have been the only to do my service.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:54 PM   #14
MyNameIs
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS
If you want to get your oil change a week after buying your car thats your decision not the dealers. If he tells you different then he's FOS, and let him know, and tell him because he is FOS you will find a dealer who is not FOS to perform all future service as long as he remains the mgr.
MyNameIs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, oil change, service