Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2023, 09:47 AM   #29
whitelt1

Drives: '23 LT1 Convertible (Auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_acm View Post
+1 on the whole "do the first oil change yourself." Did mine at roughly 1k miles after the first week in about 15 minutes and, although I didn't see anything bad, it left me with a peace of mind knowing my oil was fine. Also, which dealership did you go to? I went in for a warranty claim (starter swap) to Lou Bachrodt on Atlantic and they did everything in less than 24 hours. I've also never had an issue with their Coconut Creek location for the few times I interacted with them at either their Chevy or Mazda buildings.

Disclosure: the Coconut Creek location is local to me and I knew someone at the Atlantic location who let me know the status of the claim for the entire process.

I went to Lou Bachrodt in Coconut Creek. I've had so many issues with them. They were the ones that denied that the free service exists for all dealers. They forced me to do other services on vehicles that I didn't want to pay for when I clearly told them no and I ended up leaving and calling the service representative to cancel that specific service and just focus on the oil change while I had my father do the service for me. And they'll have my car all day even thought I made an early morning appointment a week or so in advance. Can't stand that dealer. They're so many bad reviews of them on Google.

I do at this point want to do my own oil changes. I've never done it before and I would like some advice as to how I can make a record to keep my warranty from being voided because the dealer thinks I never changed my oil. Is just purchasing a filter at the dealer all I have do as well as obviously ordering the 0W-40 Mobil1 Supercar online on Amazon?

Also that leads me to another question: Where do you all get your oil from? Looking online, none of the Autozones, Advance Autoparts, or O'Reilly's Autoparts even have the oil in any stores in a 50 mile radius. Perhaps their websites could be wrong, idk.
whitelt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:47 AM   #30
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
On a car like my SS, I'll be doing it myself.

That way I know the drain plug and oil filter haven't been over-tightened, and it will be getting the exact spec volume and weight of oil specified in the owner's manual (0w40 Dexos R - Mobil 1 Supercar).

I don't find the value in driving to a dealer, letting a lot guy or lube tech move the car around a couple of times, or allowing the possibility of them using whatever bulk oil they may have, or caring less about the quality of service than I would. Yes, I'm an oil change snob.

Dealer service isn't a bad way to go if that's your only option, but I have a shop and tools to do it myself.

I'll also be doing my first oil change early (500 miles). These cars get short cycled a lot between end of the assembly line, transport, dealer PDI, and being moved around the dealer lot. First step is to put the first 500 miles on the engine and boil out the moisture and collect any wear-in material. Then start with a clean fresh supply of oil.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 09:51 AM   #31
whitelt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
On a car like my SS, I'll be doing it myself.

That way I know the drain plug and oil filter haven't been over-tightened, and it will be getting the exact spec volume and weight of oil specified in the owner's manual (0w40 Dexos R - Mobil 1 Supercar).

I don't find the value in driving to a dealer, letting a lot guy or lube tech move the car around a couple of times, or allowing the possibility of them using whatever bulk oil they may have, or caring less about the quality of service than I would. Yes, I'm an oil change snob.

Dealer service isn't a bad way to go if that's your only option, but I have a shop and tools to do it myself.

I'll also be doing my first oil change early (500 miles). These cars get short cycled a lot between end of the assembly line, transport, dealer PDI, and being moved around the dealer lot. First step is to put the first 500 miles on the engine and boil out the moisture and collect any wear-in material. Then start with a clean fresh supply of oil.

Personally I have no experience working on cars. I never felt much enthusiasm about cars up until I got this car. I'm interested in learning to do work myself.

A question I have is where do you get your oil? Do you go to a local store or do you order online? 0W-40 Mobil1 Supercar seems difficult to find unless you order online.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:55 AM   #32
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelt1 View Post
I do at this point want to do my own oil changes. I've never done it before and I would like some advice as to how I can make a record to keep my warranty from being voided because the dealer thinks I never changed my oil. Is just purchasing a filter at the dealer all I have do as well as obviously ordering the 0W-40 Mobil1 Supercar online on Amazon?
I keep receipts of products purchased and take pictures of the oil/ filter change and dash mileage along with a simple written note record.

All a dealership can do after that is try to say you F'ed up the service somehow.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:14 AM   #33
david_acm

Drives: LT1
Quote:
A question I have is where do you get your oil? Do you go to a local store or do you order online? 0W-40 Mobil1 Supercar seems difficult to find unless you order online.
I got mine online because same, I went in to a couple stores and it wasn't stocked so I just ordered it.
david_acm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #34
fj5gtx

Drives: 70 GTX, 06 Mustang, 22 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Personally I have no experience working on cars. I never felt much enthusiasm about cars up until I got this car. I'm interested in learning to do work myself.

I think I bought my oil and acdelco filter online from Walmart, it seemed like its only available in 1qt units and no one locally had it in stock.

I keep my receipts and a service log. You'll need to make some tool investment, like ramps, wrench, oil catch, etc. But its pretty easy to do and you'll know its done right. Most of the chain auto parts stores will take your old oil.

We have a 19 Escape that the head gasket started leaking into the cylinder at 13k miles. Ford had to replace the engine under warranty. I've bought many new cars and kept them long after the warranty expired w/o issues. That Escape was the first time I've had to rely on that warranty for a large cost repair. So while its unlikely that you'll ever use a factory warranty on an engine failure, its best to cover yourself with receipts and logs.
Old 12-05-2023, 11:47 AM   #35
SSShark

Drives: '23 1SS Sharkskin A10
Quote:

Hey whitelt1. I've used Maroone Chevrolet in WPB on Okeechobee. They're my go-to dealer from now on. I had them do my first oil change and I had them swap out the stock black Brembo calipers for red ones. They work clean and you'll never know that they even touched your car.
SSShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #36
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Reading this thread makes me wonder if we couldn't build a spreadsheet organized by state/region and documenting our experiences with service departments? Obviously anecdotal but just thinking it might be handy since we all clearly are particular about our cars. This thread is giving me pause about even taking my Camaro to the dealer once it is ready for the first oil change, especially since I do my own on my truck and my wife's car.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:02 PM   #37
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Quote:

I just bought some online. I used Amazon, a 6-pack was $54.30 so I ordered two. Free shipping.

O'Reillys supposedly carries it but local stores don't have it on shelves. I'm going to ask the local Napa if they will/plan to carry it.

I buy my AC Delco PF64 filters from Rock Auto.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:38 PM   #38
GreenZLE

Drives: 2020 Rally Green ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I agree, I didn't even take it in for the "free" oil change... I'd rather do the work myself and know it is done right, I've heard far, far, far too many dealer horror stories!

My car has been to the dealer twice in the nearly 4 years I've had it, the first time was for the ECM Flash for the GM Performance Cold Air Intake (free) and the second was at about 2,900 miles when I ran into a issue (see this thread: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585372) that was a Service Bulletin and needed an ECM flash update to fix so that it wouldn't happen again...

Both times I told the dealer "DO NOT WASH THE CAR" and at least they listened to that...
Dude, you reminded me of my #1 dealership pet peeve. EVERY TIME I buy a car, I tell em, DONT PUT ON TIRE SHINE!!!!!! They generally do it anyway which really irritates me. The clean up guys spray it on, hose the car off, and dont wipe the tires down, then the tire shine slings all over the car. It's especially fantastic on a white car!
Thankfully they left it off my ZLE after I made repeated calls ahead of time.
GreenZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:40 PM   #39
whitelt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenZLE View Post
Dude, you reminded me of my #1 dealership pet peeve. EVERY TIME I buy a car, I tell em, DONT PUT ON TIRE SHINE!!!!!! They generally do it anyway which really irritates me. The clean up guys spray it on, hose the car off, and dont wipe the tires down, then the tire shine slings all over the car. It's especially fantastic on a white car!
Thankfully they left it off my ZLE after I made repeated calls ahead of time.

Damn, that's crazy. I never had an issue the local dealer ever doing that with my last car. Usually you have to request it and pay for it. Some dealers just don't pay attention.
Old 12-05-2023, 01:23 PM   #40
pwj155

Drives: Chevy Equinox, Radiant Red LT1
you can get a case of 12 ac delco pf64 filters at rock auto for $40.
pwj155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
free, oil change, service