Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 05-31-2023, 03:02 PM   #1
ZX1truth

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Slight cut needed for my TT air filter fittment. Can or should I do it.

Hey guys ..... my driver side K&N turbo air cleaner fitment has always been a pain and install is not easy. I am thinking about cutting out this area in the silver lines on the pictures for easier in n out!
Do you guys think this is a good idea or will it cost structural integrity to be weakened. Thoughts?
Attached Images

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
God is too good! I don't deserve it, but I sure will accept it!!!

Last edited by ZX1truth; 05-31-2023 at 03:17 PM.
ZX1truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:22 PM   #2
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Camaro
Looks like you already started Answer is yes and yes but I'd weld up the seam and add support elsewhere if needed.
ZL1_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
trashbasket

Drives: 2010 Camaro
wait...is this how these filters are supposed to be oriented?
Old 06-01-2023, 02:54 PM   #4
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by trashbasket View Post
No, its not. I dont think they are that hard to change. Not hard enough to cut on the frame,
Old 06-01-2023, 02:55 PM   #5
ZX1truth

Quote:
How is your driver side filter oriented? Pictures?

LME built LSX427 w/t all Callies internals| AGP 65/65 TT | Holley Sniper Intake | Brodix BR3/LME custom ported | LME custom cam | Pro EFI 112 ECU | ID-1700x | NGK BR7EF | AGP's-Fore Triple Fuel pump | Monster LT1-S Triple | ZL1 3.23 diff, CF driveshaft, ZL1 axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw | Pfadt solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Ground Control camber/caster plates | Accelerated Racing Solutions tuned|
Old 06-01-2023, 02:58 PM   #6
jeff657756

Drives: 2014 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX1truth View Post
How is your driver side filter oriented? Pictures?
It sits right below the steering shaft. I can't remember which side but sometimes i put the filter up into the area not attached to anything, then attach the elbow/coupler to the filter.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:16 PM   #7
trashbasket

I guess I have more room because no oil heater. The other side is the one that gets messed up and melted. : (
Old 06-01-2023, 03:25 PM   #8
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Is the crossmember cut in the pic? I believe that's more structural that the piece OP is talking about cutting.
Old 06-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #9
trashbasket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Chris View Post
Is the crossmember cut in the pic? I believe that's more structural that the piece OP is talking about cutting.
It was cut for the ability to remove the oil pan. I read quite a few threads before cutting it. I can tell you the car behaves the same without it, but I'm not willing to get into that argument with anybody. I was simply taking a picture of how my air filter is oriented. No judgement on cutting anything on your own car. I just wanted to make sure I had my filters in right.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:50 PM   #10
ZX1truth

Quote:

I guess I have more room because no oil heater. The other side is the one that gets messed up and melted. : (
I just hate the air cleaner being so close to the exhaust manifold! Thus having it on the side it may be a bit cooler. That is my thought anyway.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:08 PM   #11
ZL1_Chris
ZL1_Chris

Quote:
It was cut for the ability to remove the oil pan. I read quite a few threads before cutting it. I can tell you the car behaves the same without it, but I'm not willing to get into that argument with anybody. I was simply taking a picture of how my air filter is oriented. No judgement on cutting anything on your own car. I just wanted to make sure I had my filters in right.
I understand completely and apologize. My commitment was actually misdirected. My point was actually intended toward a different comment and you are 💯 percent correct no judgments just opinions. Thanks for the pictures and the input.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:31 PM   #12
trashbasket

Quote:
I just hate the air cleaner being so close to the exhaust manifold! Thus having it on the side it may be a bit cooler. That is my thought anyway.
Yea man, I completely agree. Thats why when I saw your post it was like a moment of panic for me like "oh god have I been screwing this up the WHOLE time?!" I guess if we are super worried about it we just shell out the $600 for agps cold air pipes that put it behind the wheel well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Chris View Post
I understand completely and apologize. My commitment was actually misdirected. My point was actually intended toward a different comment and you are 💯 percent correct no judgments just opinions. Thanks for the pictures and the input.
No worries at all but I appreciate your response all the same. I was thinking "oh no, I'm about to get flamed for cutting this stupid thing". Not what this thread is about but I absolutely recommend anyone make triple damn dog sure your oil pan is aligned before dropping an engine, transmission, turbos and all plumbing into a car and have the stupid thing leak and lead you to the decision to hack your subframe.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:39 PM   #13
ZX1truth

Quote:
Yea man, I completely agree. Thats why when I saw your post it was like a moment of panic for me like "oh god have I been screwing this up the WHOLE time?!" I guess if we are super worried about it we just shell out the $600 for agps cold air pipes that put it behind the wheel well.
WHAT......AGP has cold air pipes?!?!?!? I didn't know that! I wonder if they are hard to install???

Old 06-01-2023, 06:35 PM   #14
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
WHAT......AGP has cold air pipes?!?!?!? I didn't know that! I wonder if they are hard to install???
For a modest $600 from AGP. I was pondering making something up like that myself; you know how I need to do things like that.

When I just sitting, idling, my IAT's might climb to 160F (like in the staging lanes). Driving in traffic, at stop lights I might hit 130F before rolling again. When cruising, my IAT's are probably 5-10F above ambient. So, I added meth/water injection to ensure they're nice and low when pounding on the throttle and in boost.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote