Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #1
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Thinking ahead for winter projects

Last 3 times at NJMP Thunderbolt and Lightning I've been able, each time, to better my PB.
I understand that this pattern will be impossible to maintain. More importantly is laying down 15 consistent fast laps. One lap wonders are cool but..

When I am out there now I try to be consistent on every turn but I can say that I feel that I am on the knife edge on every turn and this brings me to work on the aero of my car this winter.

First thing on my list is to get the front splitter solidly mounted. Its just not solid enough. Second on the list is since "sutecase" muffler has been
removed has caused a rather large cavity. I'd
imagine the air is very dirty behind my car. Thirdly is getting APR wing mounted directly to rear crash bar.

So luckly for me a friend of mine was actually part of Ken Block's new E Mustang build!!! He also has appeared on MotorTrend on Demand series with Tony Angelo's shows. Here is a pic of a some of his work. According to Formula 1 aero engineers the bottom panels of the car play huge part on downforce
Attached Images

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #2
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Defusers play a dominant aero role not just in F1 and hence every pro race car has them. So you are on the right track here
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
NickyRacerBoy

Heading to VIR this coming weekend but after that going to shed some more weight.
Diffuser going to be fab'd up and mounting wing on rear crash bar. This will allow me to run Anderson carbon rear deck lid.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #4
NickyRacerBoy

The exhaust is going to run above the diffuser so exhaust might exit threw the rear bumber cover.
In the trunk area is a portion that drops down for storage. That area we will cut out and replaced to allow more area for the exhaust to snake threw.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #5
racerx8

Drives: '18 SIM 1LE '16 NRB Z06 '21 C8 Z51
Hey Nicky Good luck at VIR next weekend. While not as radical as your build, winter weight reduction is planned including race seats, 1/2 cage, lighter rotors, etc. My goal is 3500#s and my latest retune eliminated an occasional power loss and likely found another 20 rwhp. :-) Since I'm running rear spoiler w/adjustable wicker but no wing, will a diffuser still help?

Last edited by racerx8; 10-11-2020 at 10:49 PM.
racerx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #6
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerx8 View Post
Hey Nicky Good luck at VIR next weekend. While not as radical as your build, winter weight reduction is planned including race seats, 1/2 cage, lighter rotors, etc. My goal is 3500#s and my latest retune eliminated an occasional power loss and likely found another 20 rwhp. :-) Since I'm running rear spoiler w/adjustable wicker but no wing, will a diffuser still help?
Not unless experienced race shop will do a complete and proper install of all parts, incl underbody tray, chamber, etc. Most aftermarket defusers are a dead weight vs providing any usable function and likely wil create more aero disturbance vs what a factory has produced using wind tunnels. My 2 cents anyway
Old 10-12-2020, 02:00 PM   #7
racerx8

Thanks TrackClub I appreciate your input. Our 1LE's seem to have a fairly smooth undercar so I posed the question "will a diffuser help?" or more correctly create better air management at the rear bumper area possibly enhancing downforce. Certainly an interesting idea and as you suggest properly installed.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
better splitter and rear diffuser and flat bottom? what about new big wang also? nine lives racing has a new camaro one that i heard it the shit
Old 10-12-2020, 02:56 PM   #9
racerx8

Krops I already have APR front splitter and adjustable wicker the car is pretty well planted. The tracks I run the turns aren't fast enough (mph) that I need a wing so it's merely a question of reducing drag (straight speeds) that prompted the diffuser question. Also not a big wing fan unless absolutely needed.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #10
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
apr splitter isnt a real racecar splitter its more for show cars unless its a solid honeycomb one this is what alot of the real guys like

https://www.aerosportconcepts.com/about-asc.html
Old 10-12-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
NickyRacerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
apr splitter isnt a real racecar splitter its more for show cars unless its a solid honeycomb one this is what alot of the real guys like

https://www.aerosportconcepts.com/about-asc.html
The ARP I run is honeycomb carbon.
Once fab buddy, Colin, is done with it ill be able to stand on it.

It needs have the left and right rods mounted to crash bar like center rod. The bumper cover is pulling away from small upper grill. We even used 2 part body panel adhesive to make it not pull apart.
Old 10-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #12
NickyRacerBoy

If it works or doesnt i can say that my car has MASSIVE front grip. The last NASA super unlimited race at NJMP, was 23s. 700 hp Viper.
Old 10-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks TrackClub I appreciate your input. Our 1LE's seem to have a fairly smooth undercar so I posed the question "will a diffuser help?" or more correctly create better air management at the rear bumper area possibly enhancing downforce. Certainly an interesting idea and as you suggest properly installed.
No question a real diffuser will help with aero balance by eliminating disturbance in the rear. As to what this will translate into regarding top speed i really dont know (thinking gain vs cost here). Agree, Camaros have pretty nice undertray straight from a factory. Aero can work magic, but it needs to be balanced properly, as with anything handling wise. With pro cars it is accomplished in wind tunnels. For us amateurs it is by seat of the pants
Old 10-13-2020, 12:20 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
If it works or doesnt i can say that my car has MASSIVE front grip. The last NASA super unlimited race at NJMP, was 23s. 700 hp Viper.
I believe you and clearly your pace proves it, but your car is waaay beyond being just a Camaro. I mean it in a good way, as in a race car