Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 09-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
Arsentic

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
What is this sound?

After deleting my muffler I noticed this sound coming from the passenger side rear wheel. I do not think it's coming from the exhaust but I never noticed it until the muffler delete. I don't think they are related but am not 100% sure. My tire PSI seems fine, but the sound wanes as the wheels slow down. Doesn't matter if I'm using gas or just braking in neutral as I'm rolling. Any ideas? You can really hear it towards the end of the video.

Arsentic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Sounds like diff whine. take it in to the dealer, show them the video.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Arsentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
Sounds like diff whine. take it in to the dealer, show them the video.
Aw man. I'm afraid of taking it to them after deleting the muffler, installing a catch can, and skip shift eliminator, that I will have my warranty voided/denied service. They are small mods but I don't think the guys are lenient. You are from my area, have any advice for where a good dealer is?

Last edited by Arsentic; 09-30-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsentic View Post
Aw man. I'm afraid of taking it to them after deleting the muffler, installing a catch can, and skip shift eliminator, that I will have my warranty voided/denied service. They are small mods but I don't think the guys are lenient. You are from my area, have any advice for where a good dealer is?
Hmm, if you don't wanna take it in, (dont blame you, CA dealers suck.) try swapping your diff fluid. I did mine myself in my garage, took about 15 minutes, and it really needed a change. No noise like your car, but man the fluid was silver with metal flakes. Plenty of good diy write ups on the forum, its easy peasy.

If the whine still persists after that, idk what could be wrong. I suppose its possible something else is whining, but it sounds like gears are whining (the diff).
Old 10-01-2017, 04:41 PM   #5
Superman1le

Drives: 17SS1LE/14 GCherokee/13 F150/08 Z06
It's a rear axle seal. Mine is in the dealer currently for this. There's a thread I started in the issues section.
Superman1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
Superman1le

Drives: 17SS1LE/14 GCherokee/13 F150/08 Z06
Here is the thread with a few videos I took

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505948
Superman1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #7
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Hmm.. I am getting a screeching sound definitely coming from the rear diff area, but it only happens when I'm doing 80+ MPH for a while. I replied to someone else's thread about this a few months back and am still trying to figure it out, but basically I started to notice it when I was on a road trip and I feel like the noise started to become more and more noticeable as the car got warmer, to the point where I thought something was really wrong with the rear diff. It doesn't make the noise under power, but does while coasting or while cruising. I would have immediately thought it was the rear diff gears themselves not being setup properly, but the noise is EXTREMELY high pitched, like scraping a fork on a piece of glass. It got pretty annoying and am thinking about taking it into the dealer to see if they can find anything wrong. Wondering now if it's a seal.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:41 AM   #8
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman1le View Post
Here is the thread with a few videos I took

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=505948
Let us know if the seal fixes the issue!
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #9
Arsentic

I already changed the rear diff fluid at 3000 miles, (I'm at 5000 miles now). I took the car to a different dealer that wasn't going to void my warranty, and when the tech took a test drive with me, I was not able to reproduce the sound in the video. Very frustrating, as the sound only happens when going on an incline up or down, but everywhere near the dealership was flat. So they were not able to do anything. Just to make sure, when I came back home, I went right back to the spot I could reproduce the sounds and there it was again. Sounds like air coming out of a balloon. Even though I showed them the video where the sound can clearly be heard, still no help. They put the car on a lift and said everything looked fine, but that sound is not normal and just started happening last week. It's driving me crazy.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
Harry1996

Drives: 2017 Summit white zl1 m6
I have the SAME EXACT noise and symptoms on my 2017 zl1 started at 4500 miles. :( not cool gm. I also have a awful and loud creaking/cracking noise near the rear seats. last but not least it have the TSB where the front wheels make the loudest ticking noise ever. Honestly never have had a ford product with this many problems. At this point im very disappointed in GM.

Keep us updated on this issue if you do take it to the dealer again and if they find a fix. I really don't want to let the dealer touch my car however it might be necessary soon.
Harry1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM   #11
AZ_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry1996 View Post
I have the SAME EXACT noise and symptoms on my 2017 zl1 started at 4500 miles. :( not cool gm. I also have a awful and loud creaking/cracking noise near the rear seats. last but not least it have the TSB where the front wheels make the loudest ticking noise ever. Honestly never have had a ford product with this many problems. At this point im very disappointed in GM.

Keep us updated on this issue if you do take it to the dealer again and if they find a fix. I really don't want to let the dealer touch my car however it might be necessary soon.
FWIW, my buddy is a die-hard Mustang fan. He's had like 6 of them. He turned his 2012 GT into a dedicated track car and then bought a new 2016 GT. He did like it for a few months, then he got REALLY frustrated at the amount of rattling coming from the interior, then the AC compressor locked up and got so hot it nearly caught the car on fire. Not to mention the issues the GT350's had with the recalled oil line, and they're notorious for over-heating on track even with the track pack in 72 degree ambient temps. The Focus RS also will give you about 10 minutes of track time before the center diff overheats and sends all the power to the front wheels, oh and they installed the wrong head gasket on 90% of them.. yikes! I used to own a few MGT's as well but got sick of their little issues. I love my 1LE. Trust me, Ford is struggling right now with quality control and some engineering WTF's.

I saw that I had replied to this thread a while back, but since then, the high pitched screeching is gone. I have done two track days since and swapped out the fluid again. No issues.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
FWIW, my buddy is a die-hard Mustang fan. He's had like 6 of them. He turned his 2012 GT into a dedicated track car and then bought a new 2016 GT. He did like it for a few months, then he got REALLY frustrated at the amount of rattling coming from the interior, then the AC compressor locked up and got so hot it nearly caught the car on fire. Not to mention the issues the GT350's had with the recalled oil line, and they're notorious for over-heating on track even with the track pack in 72 degree ambient temps. The Focus RS also will give you about 10 minutes of track time before the center diff overheats and sends all the power to the front wheels, oh and they installed the wrong head gasket on 90% of them.. yikes! I used to own a few MGT's as well but got sick of their little issues. I love my 1LE. Trust me, Ford is struggling right now with quality control and some engineering WTF's.

I saw that I had replied to this thread a while back, but since then, the high pitched screeching is gone. I have done two track days since and swapped out the fluid again. No issues.

While I won't defend Ford much... but the Focus RS PTU/RDU overheat issues tend to be exaggerated.. I could run mine, in Florida, for 30-45 minutes straight without issues. My ONLY track issue with the Focus RS was oil temp related, but that's in Florida Summer heat.. not really a great condition for any turbo car.

I did of course have the Mustang EB headgasket on mine.. part of the reason I traded it in on the 1LE.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #13
AZ_1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
While I won't defend Ford much... but the Focus RS PTU/RDU overheat issues tend to be exaggerated.. I could run mine, in Florida, for 30-45 minutes straight without issues. My ONLY track issue with the Focus RS was oil temp related, but that's in Florida Summer heat.. not really a great condition for any turbo car.

I did of course have the Mustang EB headgasket on mine.. part of the reason I traded it in on the 1LE.
I'm just going off of first-hand experience. My buddy's had two GT350's (one without and one with the track pack), and the RS. The RS was the biggest disappointment due to the diff overheating issue. It consistently overheated within minutes and the fun was over. The GT350's both overheated their transmissions and put the car into limp mode. Not fun.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:04 PM   #14
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_1LE View Post
I'm just going off of first-hand experience. My buddy's had two GT350's (one without and one with the track pack), and the RS. The RS was the biggest disappointment due to the diff overheating issue. It consistently overheated within minutes and the fun was over. The GT350's both overheated their transmissions and put the car into limp mode. Not fun.
It happens at some technical tracks with the RS for sure.. sadly those would be the best tracks for the RS.

Out of the several friends with them, and my own, I don't know of anyone first hand that had an issue with the RS PTU/RDU overheat (it's not really a "diff" exactly).
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote