Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-08-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
goproz

Drives: n
Repair or take insurance money?

My 2018 2SS hot wheels edition camaro was hit while I was backed in to a curbside pickup spot at bestbuy. Originally the person who hit me thought it would be under $500, so we didn't immediately deicide to go through insurance.

It seems I will need a new front lip, repainted bumper, new clearcoat, new side marker lamp, new stripes on the front bumper, and possibly new stripes on the hood because after fading from the sun they may not match the new bumper stripes. As you can all see, the damage is really not that bad... I have not fully paid the car off so the insurance money could help me pay some of it. Do you all think the insurance money is worth the price hit I will take due to the damage when selling?

If I get the car fixed now, they will continue to repair it until its perfect even if it exceeds their quoted $1571.90. If I take the money and get it repaired later and its over that price I would have to pay the difference.

The first estimate I got was from a local repair shop and they quoted about $2400. I then went to a chevy dealership and they quoted $3200. Finally when going through insurance they quoted me $1571.90. I could take the $1571.90 or get it repaired.

Name:  hotwheels.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  209.0 KB
goproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:18 PM   #2
goproz

Drives: n
Here is a link to the not rotated: https://imgur.com/a/eueKTg2
goproz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:20 PM   #3
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Get it repaired... Your car will be perfect again and it won't cost you anything... You wait and it will likely cost you over $1000 of your own money...

I grew up in a body shop, saw people "take the money and run" a lot, they always regretted it later when they wanted their car fixed and found out how much it was really going to cost...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
If you really wanted to take the money, you could probably find a shop that could do a decent job of spot repair without having the repaint each panel. Of course it will never look perfect, but it might be worth looking into.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:41 PM   #5
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
in florida that at fault drivers insurance pays the bill.the last person that hit my camaro had geico insurance,and i went with their recommended shop because they have a good reputation and were within a mile of my house.car was fixed perfectly,lifetime guaranty on the repairs,and i was happy with the outcome.dont be shy,get your car fixed by a good body shop and make the at fault persons insurance pay for it.i dont think you will be happy making payments on a damaged car and having to look at the damage every time you drive your car.
redcoats1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:43 PM   #6
red_johnny

Drives: 2016 Gray 2SS M6
I had something happen recently that resulted in similar but more extreme damage. To the point that the splitter was damaged and broken, caused a ripple into the front quarter panel. My repair was just over 3K. I would recommend you get it repaired.
red_johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:45 PM   #7
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Is the lower rear of the spoiler lip cracked off? I can't tell from the photo.

The repair/repaint/re-decal approach sounds thorough. But that is asking the body shop to do a lot of things perfect for something that, to my eye, looks like it could be made pretty nice with some DIY work.

Spoiler is scuffed. If it is not actually cracked you could probably airbrush that edge and it would look fine. Flat will be easier to hide than a gloss repair.

Marker light is scuffed. Try some plastic polish. Tape off around it and use something like Novus #2.
https://www.amazon.com/Novus-PC-22-N.../dp/B002UD0GD6

Bumper cover paint chip. Looks like it is right on the edge. Some hand-applied touch-up paint might be acceptable.

Alternate is body shop does everything. They may not get the stripes lined up perfect. The new paint and clear may show as different in a few years compared to the factory panels.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:45 PM   #8
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
save about $500 of that bill, pull the splitter off, sand it and rattle can repaint it yourself.

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:53 PM   #9
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
Fix it. $1500 is not worth the headache later. If it was $3200 then you might want to find cheaper alternatives for that minor damage. lol But not at $1500.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #10
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
Here is another way to look at it. If an insurance Co. gets involved, They WILL report it to Carfax, When You Go to sell or Trade it, You will be the 1 to take the HIT. BEEN THERE,DONE THAT!!!!! Take the CASH and get it fixed or find a shop that can fix it.
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:06 PM   #11
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
save about $500 of that bill, pull the splitter off, sand it and rattle can repaint it yourself.
If he can DIY, I would not even pull the splitter. Since the affected area is like one whole "side" of the splitter, you can go over that with a spray can once you have the surroundings masked off. No one will notice, particularly in an area of the car that often gets dirty. Anyone know the paint code for that gray?
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:07 PM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Get it repaired by a reputable body shop and don’t be concerned about a mark on the Carfax report if the damage would even be reported. Sometimes damage is reported and sometimes not. That’s my advice to you! Good luck.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #13
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by goproz View Post
My 2018 2SS hot wheels edition camaro was hit while I was backed in to a curbside pickup spot at bestbuy. Originally the person who hit me thought it would be under $500, so we didn't immediately deicide to go through insurance.

It seems I will need a new front lip, repainted bumper, new clearcoat, new side marker lamp, new stripes on the front bumper, and possibly new stripes on the hood because after fading from the sun they may not match the new bumper stripes. As you can all see, the damage is really not that bad... I have not fully paid the car off so the insurance money could help me pay some of it. Do you all think the insurance money is worth the price hit I will take due to the damage when selling?

If I get the car fixed now, they will continue to repair it until its perfect even if it exceeds their quoted $1571.90. If I take the money and get it repaired later and its over that price I would have to pay the difference.

The first estimate I got was from a local repair shop and they quoted about $2400. I then went to a chevy dealership and they quoted $3200. Finally when going through insurance they quoted me $1571.90. I could take the $1571.90 or get it repaired.

Where are you located? Near Hickory?
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #14
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Touch it up and keep factory paint. More coming in years ahead
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote