Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #253
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
The biggest issue with transmissions on EV's is the parasitic loss negatively impacting range. I think you run into a situation where "more gear" is just going to make you traction limited so you're sacrificing range with no big improvement in acceleration unless you want to daily Mikey Thompson's (again killing more range).
It's not much different from the way it is with ICEs. Big-displacement ICEs really don't have as much need for as many gearbox speeds as small-displacement ICEs do.

I can picture it being similar with EVs once the mfrs stop simply throwing more power at their EVs. Instead of having just a single forward speed, 2, 3, or possibly 4.

Norm
Old 02-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #254
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
tesla has no gears. It seems to accelerate to high speed just fine and cruise for long distances just fine in the same car.

transmissions are a necessary evil created around the limitations of engines/motors. They're not necessarily needed for electric motors in most uses. Generally when the motor being used is either undersized or the wrong KV rating for the application for some reason. Seems that for cars, that isn't generally the case.

bolting on a bunch of weight and adding moving parts and needing to oil and cool those parts just to allow your car to go from 160 to 200+ in a non-race car just isn't justifiable for most car buyers....so they dont do it.
EVs generally do worse in terms of eMPG on highways. At higher speeds, they still tend to fall out of the efficiency band.

Electricity is generally cheap for now but that can change in the future. That's when efficiency can start to play a role.

And as said, you don't even need that many gears. Just two is probably fine. You still need to maintain the differential of an EV. That still has oil in it. Just make the transmission a transaxle like most FWD cars and it wouldn't make a difference maintenance-wise.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 02-19-2021 at 08:34 PM.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:22 AM   #255
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And as said, you don't even need that many gears. Just two is probably fine. You still need to maintain the differential of an EV. That still has oil in it. Just make the transmission a transaxle like most FWD cars and it wouldn't make a difference maintenance-wise.
Two might work for the average grocery-getter/commuter-car/transportation appliance. Literally millions of Powerglides, Powerflites, and Fordomatics (which were 3-speed but would normally launch in 2nd unless you floored the accelerator pedal) were installed in various cars.

But four would make for a more involving drive experience. Much like how the 4-speed MTs that first showed up in the USA in imported sports roadsters compared to the "three-on-the-tree" MTs in then-current US Domestic car usage.

Norm
Old 02-20-2021, 11:45 PM   #256
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Camaros will never get old and they will never die.☝😩
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #257
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Camaros will never get old and they will never die.☝😩
I agree in spirit it will never get old but it already died once :(
Old 02-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #258
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I agree in spirit it will never get old but it already died once :(
There are some hardcore purists who never believed the 3rd-4th gens were true Camaros because they were hatchbacks. And some I’ve talked to say they believe the 5th-6th gens are more authentic Camaros than anything from 1982-2002.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 02:31 PM   #259
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
So is chevy just hedging their bets that in the future, 18-48 year olds will not value sporty / performance cars enough to make any Camaro replacement worth it?

Are they betting that that demographic will not be able to afford to have more than one car and will be more inclined to buy something else until they are older and well established (and can get a Corvette)?
(I feel like that is the reality whether it is what Chevy predicts)

I don't want to reignite the speculation that Challengers sell so well because they actually get advertised...... but..... the challenger and the charger (certainly the hellcats) really aren't having that much trouble. This is even despite the Challenger essentially being a 14 year old body style.

So even though Chevy missed when they made a car that could outperform everything else, at the expense of real world uses and drivability, there is still desire for a sports coupe type car. With Lexus and Mercedes even pushing harder into the segment in recent years.

Other than quitting is easier when you've already done it once, and other than making money is more important than making people happy, whats the big incentive to abandon a segment that everyone else is doing comparably well at?

(and since i don't work in the industry, or extensively study it, I apologize for any well meaning ignorance in my possible lack of knowledge)
Old 02-21-2021, 04:20 PM   #260
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post
So is chevy just hedging their bets that in the future, 18-48 year olds will not value sporty / performance cars enough to make any Camaro replacement worth it?

Are they betting that that demographic will not be able to afford to have more than one car and will be more inclined to buy something else until they are older and well established (and can get a Corvette)?

I don't want to reignite the speculation that Challengers sell so well because they actually get advertised...... but..... the challenger and the charger (certainly the hellcats) really aren't having that much trouble. This is even despite the Challenger essentially being a 14 year old body style.

So even though Chevy missed when they made a car that could outperform everything else, at the expense of real world uses and drivability, there is still desire for a sports coupe type car. With Lexus and Mercedes even pushing harder into the segment in recent years.

Other than quitting is easier when you've already done it once, and other than making money is more important than making people happy, whats the big incentive to abandon a segment that everyone else is doing comparably well at?

(and since i don't work in the industry, or extensively study it, I apologize for any well meaning ignorance in my possible lack of knowledge)
Pundits say sports cars us enthusiasts value are no longer interesting to kids who grew up staring at their iPhone all day. But I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they’re not promoting them. When I was a kid Chevy and Pontiac had some of the coolest advertisements that made you want to get out of your chair and run to the dealer if you saw it at 1:00 in the morning. The Heartbeat of America. Like A Rock (for the Silverados but still, same deal). We Build Excitement. GM now has “Real People”. The most boring, bland, uninspiring advertising on the planet. Makes you want to go to sleep, not buy a car. Oh, the car has Bluetooth? Really? So does every friggin other car on the planet today. Good gawd GM SMDH
Old 02-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #261
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior85 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Pundits say sports cars us enthusiasts value are no longer interesting to kids who grew up staring at their iPhone all day. But I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they’re not promoting them. When I was a kid Chevy and Pontiac had some of the coolest advertisements that made you want to get out of your chair and run to the dealer if you saw it at 1:00 in the morning. The Heartbeat of America. Like A Rock (for the Silverados but still, same deal). We Build Excitement. GM now has “Real People”. The most boring, bland, uninspiring advertising on the planet. Makes you want to go to sleep, not buy a car. Oh, the car has Bluetooth? Really? So does every friggin other car on the planet today. Good gawd GM SMDH
Coupes in general are a dying segment. And there aren’t enough people now that value what the Camaro to justify further investment. IF they were to do so they would need to make a car that appeals to a broader customer base (Mustang, which also does not advertise and Challenger clearly have broader appeal) to get the sales up. The Camaro was designed for a very focused customer and unfortunately advertising will barely move the needle and GM knows this.

The hope, I think, will be to do something wildly different in concept and propulsion.

We shall see.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:50 PM   #262
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Coupes in general are a dying segment. And there aren’t enough people now that value what the Camaro to justify further investment. IF they were to do so they would need to make a car that appeals to a broader customer base (Mustang, which also does not advertise and Challenger clearly have broader appeal) to get the sales up. The Camaro was designed for a very focused customer and unfortunately advertising will barely move the needle and GM knows this.

The hope, I think, will be to do something wildly different in concept and propulsion.

We shall see.
It's good for the business, I understand, but look at BMW. The brand as a whole is diluting because they are too focused on trying to please the mass that they are losing their identity. You can't take the whole "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan seriously anymore.

I think it may just come down to the fact that it's still a Chevy and they can't price it like, say, a Porsche, or even a Cadillac. Porsche gets away with being enthusiast-focused because they are expensive enough to sustain that.

It's an eternal struggle.

Past:
Old 02-21-2021, 11:03 PM   #263
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Quote:
It's good for the business, I understand, but look at BMW. The brand as a whole is diluting because they are too focused on trying to please the mass that they are losing their identity. You can't take the whole "Ultimate Driving Machine" slogan seriously anymore.

I think it may just come down to the fact that it's still a Chevy and they can't price it like, say, a Porsche, or even a Cadillac. Porsche gets away with being enthusiast-focused because they are expensive enough to sustain that.

I think you are touching on one of biggest pet peeves with the General.

The interior for a $29,000 Camaro isn’t bad. But that same interior is also in a $75,000 Camaro.

Interior in the Silverado isn’t bad if you spend $30,000. But load up your pickup to $60,000 plus and shouldn’t you get a luxury car level interior?

GM has sucked at this since I started there in the 80s.

Last edited by Number 3; 02-22-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Number 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 11:09 PM   #264
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:

Doug DeMuro, who is younger than most of us and while some may laugh at his style he has almost 4 million subscribers, pointed out that BMW is in bad shape right now and they don’t know what to do. They’ve alienated their purist base going after mainstream profits, but their cars are now too mainstream to be what everyone used to desire.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:15 PM   #265
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Quote:
I hunk you are touching on one of biggest pet peeves with the General.

The interior for a $29,000 Camaro isn’t bad. But that same interior is also in a $75,000 Camaro.

Interior in the Silverado isn’t bad if you spend $30,000. But load up your pickup to $60,000 plus and shouldn’t you get a luxury car level interior?

As much as we all love the ZL1, there should never be any Camaro with a sticker price of $75k. The original 1969 ZL1 stickered for $7200, which is about $52,000 today. Dial back some of that performance to fit a ZL1 into a $52k sticker if you have to.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:24 AM   #266
UnknownJinX

Quote:
I hunk you are touching on one of biggest pet peeves with the General.

Yeah but cars with the same price as a Camaro SS with good interior will get smoked by a Camaro SS in terms of performance.

It's not just the General, Mustang and Charger interiors are both not that great. Heck, Nissan is also known for crappy interiors. Go see the 370Z and GT-R for yourself.

The Mazda6 I am borrowing now has good interior, but it almost costs the same as a Mustang GT PP1 and the performance is not even comparable.

Affordable, good performance, good interior, pick two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Doug DeMuro, who is younger than most of us and while some may laugh at his style he has almost 4 million subscribers, pointed out that BMW is in bad shape right now and they don’t know what to do. They’ve alienated their purist base going after mainstream profits, but their cars are now too mainstream to be what everyone used to desire.
It's especially a problem as Tesla has the same audience as BMW's main audience now.

Reminds me of Sony VAIO laptops. They used to be doing so well until Macbook showed up and ate their lunch. All of it.

And BMW isn't the only one. Ask any Mazda guy and they will also lament the same thing, more or less.

Past: