Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Why no eLSD on ZL1 Vert?

I purchased a lightly used (6,300 mi) 2020 ZL1 M6 Convertible yesterday, and I’m curious why doesn’t the convertible come with Electronic Limited Slip Differential like the ZL1 Coupe?

I was aware when I bought it that it didn’t have it (so no surprise) but I’m curious as to GM’s thinking behind not including it on the Vert? Do they think convertible drivers are less likely to drive aggressively, and thereby less likely to need it? Overall Cost (it’s pretty expensive)? They don’t think a convertible will be tracked?

Has anyone driven both the coupe and convertible enough to notice how easily the Convertible gets squirrelly without eLSD?

I’ve owned a C7 Z06 for years, so I’m comfortable with the engine power but living vicariously through you folks as I have literally not even test driven my new ZL1 yet since it is stupid cold and snowy here in the frozen tundra of Illinois.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I purchased a lightly used (6,300 mi) 2020 ZL1 M6 Convertible yesterday, and I’m curious why doesn’t the convertible come with Electronic Limited Slip Differential like the ZL1 Coupe?

I was aware when I bought it that it didn’t have it (so no surprise) but I’m curious as to GM’s thinking behind not including it on the Vert? Do they think convertible drivers are less likely to drive aggressively, and thereby less likely to need it? Overall Cost (it’s pretty expensive)? They don’t think a convertible will be tracked?

Has anyone driven both the coupe and convertible enough to notice how easily the Convertible gets squirrelly without eLSD?

I’ve owned a C7 Z06 for years, so I’m comfortable with the engine power but living vicariously through you folks as I have literally not even test driven my new ZL1 yet since it is stupid cold and snowy here in the frozen tundra of Illinois.
As I recall Chevy said the eLSD is larger than the standard differential and doesn't fit under the convertible with all the extra equipment and bracing for the convertible top.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Only answer I've ever read was because the convertible aspect takes up space and couldn't accommodate the eLSD. Sounds weird but I've never seen the underside of a convertible ZL1 where the diff is to see how much space is or isn't there.

GM also made have the convertible smaller sway bars too.

Honestly, I think they did it all because the ZL1 was advertised as a track beast but they didn't want the convertible to be so they toned it back a little.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #4
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
I havs the ss and it does not have the rear dif cooler or the aux radiators. nither right or left. Those have nothing to do with braceing ect. I think they figure it will not be tracked. I guess maybe to save a little weight but probly money.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #5
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
As I recall Chevy said the eLSD is larger than the standard differential and doesn't fit under the convertible with all the extra equipment and bracing for the convertible top.
^^^^

This is the reason.

As well, when you look under the car, the exhaust has been flattened in the diff area. It’s been proven to have no affect on performance. This flattening carries over to all Gen 6’s, even though it was done specifically for vert clearances.

The vert differential has heat exchanger, unlike the base SS’s.

I can’t speak to the back end getting squirrelly. I have a lot of respect for the power on tap, so I’m pretty careful.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 01:19 PM   #6
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
^^^^

This is the reason.

As well, when you look under the car, the exhaust has been flattened in the diff area. It’s been proven to have no affect on performance. This flattening carries over to all Gen 6’s, even though it was done specifically for vert clearances.

I can’t speak to the back end getting squirrelly. I have a lot of respect for the power on tap, so I’m pretty careful.
Thanks everyone, that actually makes sense. I have a lift, and once I get my hands on her later this month (when we thaw out), I’d like to get a peak under there and see.

As for respect, I learned on my C7 Z06, even with all the nannies, that this engine gives you plenty of rope to hang yourself with. If it’s raining, or slightly cold Out, I put her in weather mode. I think it’s called “snow / ice” on the ZL1.
Old 02-13-2021, 01:36 PM   #7
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Maybe a liability issue too with the ZL1 verts. Chevy probably didn’t want anyone tracking their convertible because of possible rollovers. I know I would hate to be in a rollover crash with a convertible if you don’t have a roll bar or cage over your head.
Old 02-13-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
Big Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
Maybe a liability issue too with the ZL1 verts. Chevy probably didn’t want anyone tracking their convertible because of possible rollovers. I know I would hate to be in a rollover crash with a convertible if you don’t have a roll bar or cage over your head.
I’m 90% certain that the C7 Z06 (including convertible) has eLSD standard.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:24 PM   #9
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
^^^^

This is the reason.

The flattened exhaust isn't only with gen 6 Camaro's. 04 - 06 GTOs have it, the Chevy SS have it, Silverado's have it and other Camaro generations too.

It's not really needed but GM likes to do it.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigilante375 View Post
The flattened exhaust isn't only with gen 6 Camaro's. 04 - 06 GTOs have it, the Chevy SS have it, Silverado's have it and other Camaro generations too.

I couldn’t get rid of it fast enough.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:42 PM   #11
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:

Eh, ok... my point was that all gen 6’s have it and it’s done for vert cross brace clearance. But thanks for informing me...

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=519734&page=3
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:01 AM   #12
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Quote:
I've never seen the underside of a convertible ZL1 where the diff is to see how much space is or isn't there.
IMO it was more of a cost issue than a "convertible top made less space issue."

The trunk floor steel in the vert and coupe are identical as far as I can tell, seems like a universal stamping for all 6th gens. There is probably enough room for them to have made it work if they wanted to. All the vert's hydraulics/pump hardware for the top is behind the back seat above the fuel tanks (not under the trunk). Probably more of an issue with the ELSD being larger than the regular LSD.

The top pic is a crappy shot of the back (shot looking toward the back from the front), but you can see the rear X-brace goes above the exhaust crimps and bolts to a brace behind the diff. So at first glance it should be easy enough to install another diff that fits the car [edit].

The middle pic is a much better shot of the ELSD on a coupe from another forum member's car. There's a control box at the rear where the x-brace body mount would be. Also the ELSD seems a bit larger (lower) so the body mount might need to be lower and have clearance issues.

[Edit: added 3rd pic with a better rear shot from my car of the Z vert LSD and bracing, showing cooling lines.]

It was probably more of a "do we want to spend another month and multiple tends of thousands of dollars developing a fix to the problem with packaging the ELSD with the X-brace, or just tell them there wasn't room?" kind of engineering decision Al O. had to make.

So what Mark114 said certainly seems to be the case here.

Attached Images

Last edited by Gunkk; 02-19-2021 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added a better pic of my car, fixed an error.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:26 AM   #13
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
The vert body is different. the brace bolts to an extra body brace that is where the cross member is on the coupe. Vert does not have a cross member, thats where lots of people jack the rear up from. Theres no reason why they could not have added the dif cooler but they did not. The esld i have no idea. Never seen one.

Exampel. If you pull the rocker panel you will see very quickly their is a major difference in the body shell. The coupe has an indention and goes back toward the car all along the botton from wheel well to wheel well, their under the rocker. The vert goes another 1inch at least stright down more square. The rocker from the coupe will not fit the rocker for the vert. This greatly complated my install of the alkey control, pump. Not as much room. I had to make another custom braket and trimerd the pump some. Not pretty but it works with about 10 thou clearence from the fender lol.
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:48 AM   #14
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
The vert body is different. the brace bolts to an extra body brace that is where the cross member is on the coupe. Vert does not have a cross member, thats where lots of people jack the rear up from. Theres no reason why they could not have added the dif cooler but they did not. The esld i have no idea. Never seen one.
Yes there are lots of (very obvious) body differences vert vs. coupe, but some less obvious like the rockers. Also why the ZL1 Addons' vert lift points have to be machined down a half inch or so on one side.

FWIW, the ZL1 vert has a diff cooler (heat exchanger via recirculated trans fluid). SS vert does not, as I recall.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote