Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 07-02-2020, 10:59 AM   #29
6sigma

Drives: rally green LT1 manual
Camaro incentives have been bad for a while, pre COVID. I'm not sure if they will ever get back to the 20%+ discounts. GM just doesn't seem interested in having that much supply on the market where they would need to put a pile of cash on the hood. The best option for a deal might be a V6 or oddly optioned car that just isn't moving.
6sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #30
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
Camaro incentives have been bad for a while, pre COVID. I'm not sure if they will ever get back to the 20%+ discounts. GM just doesn't seem interested in having that much supply on the market where they would need to put a pile of cash on the hood. The best option for a deal might be a V6 or oddly optioned car that just isn't moving.
Makes me curious as to whether GM is really only selling 'just enough' of them to get back their costs of development without really turning a profit? They aren't really marketing them (NO cars, really), there is not much inventory even in normal times (some dealers have them, lots don't), and they aren't pushing the incentives.

As far as "oddly optioned"... I don't think that's going to help much either. I took a run at two of those from a local dealership recently and they really wouldn't move too far on the price (about $2k off of the $50k MSRP). The one I bought was better discounted, but not by a ton and it has a build date that's from 10 months ago (it's been sitting on the dealer lot all that time without moving to other lots through a trade, even). While the one I bought wasn't really configured in an odd way per se, it was unattractive enough to sit there for a really long time before being sold.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:11 AM   #31
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
The entire dealership model of selling cars is antiquated and most consumers absolutely abhor it. It's time to sell cars differently.
Amen to that brother. Burn all the dealerships down. It's 2020. You seriously should be able to order a car from the factory online and either pick it up at the factory or have it delivered to you. I have no problem paying GM for the time, money, and technology they require to pay people and produce parts/supplies to build my Camaro. Engineers, designers, and factory assemblers are talented, intelligent, skilled, educated people. They deserve the money we pay them for our cars. They all actually PRODUCE something..... hence they are productive!!

The sketchy salesmen, sales managers, finance managers, and owers of car dealerships? They deserve hot coffee spilled on their lap and that's about it. They're simply middlemen. No need to be educated or skilled beyond high school for what they do. They couldn't tell a ball joint from a pot joint. And yet they make a killing. It's a bigger racket than the mafia.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:22 AM   #32
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
I updated the initial post to add the sales numbers of Challenger and Mustang in Q2 2020 and YTD

Q2 2020:
Camaro: 6,675 down from 12,433 (-46.3%)
Challenger: 9,880 down from 15,237 (-35%)
Mustang: 15,717 down from 21,625 (-27.3%)

YTD:
Camaro: 13,860 down from 24,516 (-43.5%)
Challenger: 22,018 down from 28,668 (-23%)
Mustang: 33,786 down from 38,542 (-12.3%)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #33
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeROC View Post
Ouch
Exactly. Makes you wonder whatever the current plans for Camaro7 are, how much will be left of it after Covid
Old 07-02-2020, 11:38 AM   #34
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Amen to that brother. Burn all the dealerships down. It's 2020. You seriously should be able to order a car from the factory online and either pick it up at the factory or have it delivered to you. I have no problem paying GM for the time, money, and technology they require to pay people and produce parts/supplies to build my Camaro. Engineers, designers, and factory assemblers are talented, intelligent, skilled, educated people. They deserve the money we pay them for our cars. They all actually PRODUCE something..... hence they are productive!!
That's similar to how Porsche does it. My Porsche dealer has about 50% of their cars custom ordered. They stock more Macans since they are cheaper and more commoditized, but usually just one or two of the sports cars. They are happy to let you test drive one and then custom order YOUR car. Of course in the weird Porsche world you have to be awarded to ability to hand over a huge wad of cash to buy a car they are selling if you want one of the more in-demand models. That part of the business model should go away...
Old 07-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #35
6sigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai View Post
I updated the initial post to add the sales numbers of Challenger and Mustang in Q2 2020 and YTD

Q2 2020:
Camaro: 6,675 down from 12,433 (-46.3%)
Challenger: 9,880 down from 15,237 (-35%)
Mustang: 15,717 down from 21,625 (-27.3%)

YTD:
Camaro: 13,860 down from 24,516 (-43.5%)
Challenger: 22,018 down from 28,668 (-23%)
Mustang: 33,786 down from 38,542 (-12.3%)
I wonder what average transaction price and average margin is for the 3 models. Prob can't access that info easily. Mustang is almost 2.5x YTD units vs Camaro. That's crazy
Old 07-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #36
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post

The sketchy salesmen, sales managers, finance managers, and owers of car dealerships? They deserve hot coffee spilled on their lap and that's about it. They're simply middlemen. No need to be educated or skilled beyond high school for what they do. They couldn't tell a ball joint from a pot joint. And yet they make a killing. It's a bigger racket than the mafia.
Sounds like Tesla is more for you.

I dunno, if no dealership means lower MSRP then I am for it, but otherwise the ability to leverage and get a good deal for leftover inventory is kinda nice.

Also I generally consider myself impatient and having current inventory is gonna be better for me than having to wait for a car to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sigma View Post
That's similar to how Porsche does it. My Porsche dealer has about 50% of their cars custom ordered. They stock more Macans since they are cheaper and more commoditized, but usually just one or two of the sports cars. They are happy to let you test drive one and then custom order YOUR car. Of course in the weird Porsche world you have to be awarded to ability to hand over a huge wad of cash to buy a car they are selling if you want one of the more in-demand models. That part of the business model should go away...
Porsche does have a huge price premium, but that means that they actually listen to their enthusiasts and customers. They made a manual GT3 because fans cried out for one. Good luck getting GM/Ford/Toyota to do that for the C8/GT500/Zupr4.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:44 AM   #37
Efi69Cam

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS 2017 Yukon Denali
Camaro outsells it’s Cadillac platform mates. That’s probably not good for the future of gm rwd cars in general.
Efi69Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #38
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
The Camaro is as good as dead. GM isn’t doing anything to keep it relevant.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #39
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The Camaro is as good as dead. GM isn’t doing anything to keep it relevant.
You think? Are we all going to own boat anchors that we will have to give away at some point if we no longer want ours? I guess time will tell. I think all GM cares about is SUV's and PickUps. It's all anyone wants anymore.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #40
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamala00 View Post
You think? Are we all going to own boat anchors that we will have to give away at some point if we no longer want ours? I guess time will tell. I think all GM cares about is SUV's and PickUps. It's all anyone wants anymore.
I mean, he does have a point. The marketing needs work.

That said, you are right that it's not just a Camaro problem. Cars in general are suffering compared to SUVs and trucks.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #41
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I mean, he does have a point. The marketing needs work.

That said, you are right that it's not just a Camaro problem. Cars in general are suffering compared to SUVs and trucks.

Ya, he has a point for sure... I think he is 100% spot on. I think the only sport car GM is going to keep around long term is the Corvette. Just my $.02 My wife has a 2015 Impala (Awesome Full Size Sedan.) Gone.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Sounds like Tesla is more for you.
The correct answer is sounds like Tesla’s sales model is more for everyone!

Tesla was having a hard time establishing their stores due to pushback from the National Automobile Dealer’s Association (NADA). There are actually dealer franchise laws in every state protecting car dealerships and preventing the company producing the cars from selling directly. Now, that goes against everything capitalism stands for. Remember when GM axed Oldsmobile? They got their pants sued off by all the dealers. Why? How is GM (or ANY car company) responsible for the livelihood of people who have nothing to do with the company? They should have all had to live with it.

I mean, it’s like GM should sue Americans for not buying more Camaros!
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote