Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #1
Ceasar0521

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro SS
AFM VALVE DELETE

Hey I've recently got a custom exhaust for my 2018 Chevy Camaro SS I was wondering if there's a way for The CEL to not come on since the AFM valve was deleted

If anyone can help please reply
Ceasar0521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 AM   #2
njweatherman

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS, redline edition
Unlike the NPP valves, the AFM valves are checked at every startup. See below for what people have done:
1. Get a custom tune.
2. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=473084&page=3 (see post #42)
3. Buy an X pipe that has the AFM valves (Flowmaster) or dummy AFM valves (AWE).

Hope this helps.
njweatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
sell the SS, get a V6 RS. The afm valves are mechanical only and can be played with or removed any way you like without bothering anyone.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:07 AM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceasar0521 View Post
Hey I've recently got a custom exhaust for my 2018 Chevy Camaro SS I was wondering if there's a way for The CEL to not come on since the AFM valve was deleted

If anyone can help please reply
Hopefully you still have the actuators. You can reconnect the actuators to the wire harness and then tie them up into an out-of-way location under the car. The actuators don’t have to be connected to the exhaust.
Mark114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:39 AM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
sell the SS, get a V6 RS. The afm valves are mechanical only and can be played with or removed any way you like without bothering anyone.
Why would they sell the SS to get a V6 model? This makes -ZERO- sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Hopefully you still have the actuators. You can reconnect the actuators to the wire harness and then tie them up into an out-of-way location under the car. The actuators don’t have to be connected to the exhaust.
This won't work correctly and WILL cause issues with the engine. The AFM valves close when the engine switches down to 4CYL mode and needs additional back pressure to run properly. If you don't have the car tuned to disable the cylinder drop mode, the engine will switch to 4CYL and reduce air intake while expecting a bump in back pressure. That won't be there because, although the computer switched the valves to the closed position, there are not valves to actually close and increase the back pressure.

The engine will not run correctly and a variety of things could occur like loss of power or even damage to the engine.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:32 AM   #6
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Why would they sell the SS to get a V6 model? This makes -ZERO- sense.
I mentioned exactly why. The v6 has mechanical-only afm valves that can be modified, removed etc without causing any kind of ecu error codes unlike the SS.

It makes 100% sense in resolving the issue.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
I mentioned exactly why. The v6 has mechanical-only afm valves that can be modified, removed etc without causing any kind of ecu error codes unlike the SS.

It makes 100% sense in resolving the issue.
Yes. Sell a high performance vehicle for a mid-level performance once, losing thousands of dollars in the process, instead of having the AFM disabled by a tune or AFM disabling device.

Sorry, couldn't disagree more with your approach.

If you insist on the "sell the car" stance, then sell it in favor of an SS with M6 transmission which doesn't have AFM valved on it in the first place.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM   #8
VQ35DE

Drives: 2013 / 2SS / RS / L99
Quote:
Yes. Sell a high performance vehicle for a mid-level performance once, losing thousands of dollars in the process, instead of having the AFM disabled by a tune or AFM disabling device.

If you insist on the "sell the car" stance, then sell it in favor of an SS with M6 transmission which doesn't have AFM valved on it in the first place.
I have a question. Do both the V6 and V8 M6 transmission cars NOT have the AFM valves at all or are the AFM valves on the exhaust system BUT just not activated by the software on M6 cars ? Who knows for sure ?
VQ35DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:57 AM   #9
cellsafemode

Quote:

The tuning will impact the warranty (if discovered) on the entire drive train. AFM removal on the v6 will not. So you potentially risk even more sticking with the SS.

My solution is sound. They'd be better off with the V6.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:58 AM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
I have a question. Do both the V6 and V8 M6 transmission cars NOT have the AFM valves at all or are the AFM valves on the exhaust system BUT just not activated by the software on M6 cars ? Who knows for sure ?
There are no valves, and thus, no actuators (on the V8, at least).
Old 07-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
The tuning will impact the warranty (if discovered) on the entire drive train. AFM removal on the v6 will not. So you potentially risk even more sticking with the SS.

My solution is sound. They'd be better off with the V6.
Given that the car is a 2018, your solution is NOT sound. The warranty is drawing to a close...
Old 07-09-2020, 10:26 AM   #12
cellsafemode

Quote:
Given that the car is a 2018, your solution is NOT sound. The warranty is drawing to a close...
Given the SS's history with the A8 ...that warranty is still plenty important to have intact for the full term.

He could still probably get a good amount for selling it though before the used car market collapses.

Pick up a sweet new 2020 v6 and goto town on the exhaust without tuning.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:29 AM   #13
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Yeah...I'm pretty sure the OP bought the car for V8. Trading it for a V6 just for the fact that the AFM valves can be disconnected without throwing a CEL is ludicrous. A tune will solve the problem. If the car is still under warranty and the OP doesn't want to risk losing that, they can simply wait. Or, tune it and hope it is not discovered. I'm wondering if installing an AFM disabler will solve the problem? I'm thinking it may not unless the valves are reinstalled and plugged in though.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #14
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ35DE View Post
Manual cars don’t have AFM at all and the exhaust don’t have the valves either built into them either
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote