Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-27-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
kreh

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 1LT RS
Is it Possible To Mod Into An Active Exhaust??

So I have been looking to buy a V6 Camaro, used off of CarGurus and it is very hard to find one with an active exhaust or NPP, and if I do find one with it, chances are it doesn’t meet my other requirements for the car. The exhaust system I am planning to get has a variation compatible with NPP, is there a way I can mod the car to have controllable valves? And if so, how would It work, I know if the model of the car I get doesn’t come stock with the NPP, there is no controller for it in the center system.
kreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:25 PM   #2
Joker75

Drives: 18 LS/1LE V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreh View Post
So I have been looking to buy a V6 Camaro, used off of CarGurus and it is very hard to find one with an active exhaust or NPP, and if I do find one with it, chances are it doesn’t meet my other requirements for the car. The exhaust system I am planning to get has a variation compatible with NPP, is there a way I can mod the car to have controllable valves? And if so, how would It work, I know if the model of the car I get doesn’t come stock with the NPP, there is no controller for it in the center system.
There are remote switches, that people have wired in, to be able to disable the NPP, causing it to stay open. This would allow you to choose between full open, and full closed, but would be controlled manually.

If you are wanting the system to be controlled automatically, like the cars equipped with it from the factory, I would assume you are looking at reprogramming the head unit, at minimum, if not replacing it.

You would also need to run the wiring, as well as purchase the NPP valve bodies and motors, for either setup to work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Joker75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
Kairles

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
If the car has NPP you can change exhaust modes independently.
Kairles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Npp compatible exhaust systems don't come with actuators... They reuse the factory ones.

You can get wireless or wired cutouts /valves but they may not be directly compatible with exhausts meant for factory npp. Some modding may be required.

Tuning npp in to factory hmi is probably possible but nobody has done it or offers such service. Generic wireless cutouts use a little fob.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I'm curious how much something like this would cost all said and done. It might not be worth it in the end
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreh View Post
If you want infotainment integration, buy an NPP car even if you're.planning to mod, that part can't be retrofitted. The behavior of the controller itself (when and how much to open the valves in each driving mode) can be easily tuned with HP Tuners, there have been a few posts here as well, look for those posted by KingLT1, he's the man.

As others said, NPP compatible third party exhausts reuse the actuator hardware. You can also buy "mild to wild" style solutions that give you a separate remote independent of the factory infotainment, although reading your post I think you would probably prefer the integration. Not sure what your other requirements about the car are, but I'd compromise on aspects that can be modded in later.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 03:52 PM   #7
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
So I went into a whole research mode a while back about this.

The first idea I thought of is have some motors and wire it to a switch or wireless switch in the cabin for fully open or fully closed, essentially not using the OEM actuators. This could still be an option but I stopped looking into it for other mods.

Second idea was the Mild2Wild controllers but that’s shot down as you have to already have NPP to use those. Then there’s the fuse pull but that’s the same where you already have to have the option to do it.

The biggest rabbit hole I found was from the Corvette forums by a user named Theta. The corvette went from a vacuum NPP to the actuators before us and they still use the same actuators I believe. Literally the same actuator is used, Theta went into great detail on reverse engineering it and I believe all the information is there in the thread. A few members of the Corvette forum tested and used his system from what the posts say, little hiccups came about but not many actual systems were sold to the crowd. Sadly, Theta seems to have gone MIA years back and some assume the worst. It is sad but the idea and engineering behind it was amazing. I’m sure someone who can understand electrical engineering bits can probably do it and make sense but I can not. In my search, there’s one post from someone who has a video that shows he got the actuator to work with his own setup but he never responded to calls to show how he did.

So yes it’s possible, imo if you don’t understand what Theta was doing then your best bet is the motors wired up in option 1.
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote