Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-03-2020, 11:32 AM   #15
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
That seems more like a charger than a tender. Typical tender amps are between 0.75 and 1.3. You’re not looking for a quick charge, but rather battery maintenance over a period of months.
Isn’t that what you get when you option the Battery Protection?

I figured it was as it came with the car & that is optioned on the window sticker.

I never had an issue with my old car & that sat for a few months without anything. Like I said my plan was to plug it in for a day or so every couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
The GM-labeled CTEK chargers are supposed to be "smart" and will allegedly only supply a trickle during most of the storage time. I have a non-GM one that I got through Amazon that I have been using each winter since 2016, without ill effect.

Here is some of the text about mine:

"The CTEK MULTI US 3300 is a versatile battery charger in a compact format that makes it convenient and easy to charge and maintain all household vehicles. The special cold mode means that you can charge during the extreme winter months without problem. It is perfect for everyday vehicles as wells as vintage vehicles, RV's, boats, motorcycles, ATV's, lawnmowers and tractors. This charger specifically developed for different needs, vehicles and batteries.

It is a fully automatic (connect and forget) 4 step charger. Once switched to the preferred mode, the charger takes its own readings and then begins to charge the battery. Once the battery is charged, it will automatically switch to its maintenance phase. The patented pulse charging process is arguably the most caring mode for a battery connected for a long time.

Unused batteries lose their power and their life is shortened through sulphation. It is more difficult to charge sulfated batteries. The US 3300 has a patented method for reconditioning sulfated batteries. The charger analyzes the state of the battery and , if possible, recovers the battery and its power.

All CTEK chargers are designed to consider the safety of the user. They are spark free, making the connection much easier and safer. They are also protected from reverse polarity connections and short circuit proof protecting the sensitive electronic systems in vehicles today. If the battery is connected backwards the charger will show a red light and not charge until it is properly connected to the battery.

The Multi US 3300 battery charger has a 5 year Limited warranty"
Awesome info. Thanks!
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #16
Snakely

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry 2SS M6
I've seen Viper guys use a Battery Tender adaptor for the 'cigarette lighter' ports in the cabin.

can that be done on these?

https://www.batterytender.com/Cigare...ccessory-Cable
Snakely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #17
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
The motorcycle Battery Tender charges at .75amp vs the Battery Tender Plus at 1.25amp. Yours will work ok, but take much longer to bring the battery up to full charge.
That confirms my thoughts. I'm not so much concerned with charging the battery as I am maintaining it.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:03 PM   #18
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Lots of good info in this thread. I used a C-Tek hard wired to post #4 on the fuse box. Ran the wire thru the flowtie. Well, at least I did before I escaped from NY. Now I just drive it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540177

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #19
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakely View Post
I've seen Viper guys use a Battery Tender adaptor for the 'cigarette lighter' ports in the cabin.

If it’s constant power then probably, if it’s keyed then probably not. Haven’t used the cig lighter port for anything as of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
That confirms my thoughts. I'm not so much concerned with charging the battery as I am maintaining it.
If the info posted by Emoto is correct then the factory one is a very nice Tender/Charger.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:15 PM   #20
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
If it’s constant power then probably, if it’s keyed then probably not. Never used the cig lighter port for anything as of yet.

If the info posted by Emoto is correct then the factory one is a very nice Tender/Charger.
I copied it from the Amazon listing for the CTEK charger I bought. One can also go to https://smartercharger.com and read their claims about their chargers. I bought the non-GM branded one in order to save a few bucks.

My model is NLA, but at the time, I tried to match what Chevy was selling. It has been several years now, so I can't recall any detail. It may also be that Chevy is now selling a different unit as well.

I am pretty sure we have an AGM battery in our Camaros (is that correct?), so any charger designed for those ought to do an ok job. I have a handful of "Battery Tender" brand trickle chargers that I use for motorcycles and a tractor that I could have used, but I decided to get one of the CTEK units and see how that did. At only 4 years old, I can't really say because I think most car batteries last longer than that. Our Camaro batteries are on the small side, though, so I think that makes it important to try to take the best care possible of them.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #21
Invertalon

Drives: 2021 2SS
Yeah, I use the 'smart' CTEK MXS 5.0 and once it tops the battery off, it goes into a trickle charge / tender mode to keep the battery maintained for as long as you have it on the battery. It also has the "AGM" battery mode, which is what my car came with per the manual. So it adjusts for that as needed.

I just pop the connectors to the +/- terminals under the hood and close (but not latch) the hood, so the wire just feeds right out up front and out of the way.
Invertalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:08 PM   #22
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I use the ones under the hood, with the spots that are designed for jump starting.

Have to ask a favour while I am here: can anyone tell me the thread size for the positive terminal under that cap? I don't have my car with me(I stored it at a garage away from me), and the charger I am using doesn't particularly attach to the positive terminal well. I am thinking of buying a nut so the connector can clamp down better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakely View Post

On the C7, there is a 12V port in the trunk that's designed to be connected to a battery tender. Not sure if you can use the one in the cabin.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:39 PM   #23
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I use the ones under the hood, with the spots that are designed for jump starting.

Have to ask a favour while I am here: can anyone tell me the thread size for the positive terminal under that cap? I don't have my car with me(I stored it at a garage away from me), and the charger I am using doesn't particularly attach to the positive terminal well. I am thinking of buying a nut so the connector can clamp down better.

On the C7, there is a 12V port in the trunk that's designed to be connected to a battery tender. Not sure if you can use the one in the cabin.
The posts under the cap on the fuse block are M6
Name:  fuse posts.jpg
Views: 996
Size:  127.3 KB

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #24
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZED SLED View Post
The posts under the cap on the fuse block are M6
Attachment 1051976
Thank you!

(Too bad we don't have a like button here)

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:02 PM   #25
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Connected mine to the battery itself. I like this connect point, cause when not in use its hidden away, and waterproof. Ran the extended leads out under the trunk liner, where it accessible in the trunk. Back the car into the garage bay, pop the trunk..connect and done. Put the trunk lid down to keep dust and debris from entering.

I have battery tender , and a C-TEK brands.

What ever you do, dont buy those cheapy $5.99, or $9.99..harbor freight battery tenders. Used one of these once on my lawn mower battery, and it boiled it dry in a month.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:31 PM   #26
Callaway SC630

Drives: 2020 Callaway Camaro SC630
I used a plastic tube to hold the O-ring connector down and then put the connector for the negative under the post. You can leave the cord the the device hang out over the fender like I do or you could fish the long end through the grill to reach the quick-disconnect plug.

I had tried some posts in the box as previously suggested, but getting one to work was frustrating (I forget why, but I got mad and did it this way).
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2020, 06:34 PM   #27
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
This year I splurged on an Optimate trickle charger and hooked it up to the positive fuse terminal and the negative chassis terminal next to it. The thing charges/maintains like it's supposed to and looks spiffy, too.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #28
STYLO LT1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS Vert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Lots of threads with ways to do this. Use the search to find them.
Please use search! This topic has been beat to death on here over and over for years now.
STYLO LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote