Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-04-2020, 10:56 AM   #1
Plasar

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Vert M6
Question Anyone installed 1 touch top up/down from Mods4cars?

• Has anyone installed a 1 touch top up/down for their Camaro, like Mods4Cars is offering?
  • It is $299 (ouch!), but I am so sick and tired of holding buttons, and I drive top down nearly every day, I'm ready to spring for this.
  • BTW, I did Search, but only found 2 old posts in the General area.

1 Touch Top Up/Down by Mods4Cars:
Mods4Cars

Old Posts:

Old Post 1
Old Post 2
Plasar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:38 AM   #2
Plasar

Talking

Some additional info... I think I'm gonna do it... cover me!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mods4Cars-Camaro-1TouchUpDown-InstallationManual.pdf (2.23 MB, 270 views)
File Type: pdf Mods4Cars-Camaro-1TouchUpDown-USBUpdateManual.pdf (1.23 MB, 308 views)
Old 11-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
This definitely looks interesting, and it turns out I have a dealer that's within driving distance of me (maybe 1.5 hours?).

I don't like that you have to use a third-party module to also roll up the windows that remains plugged into the OBD port. For me, it doesn't matter because that module is only viable for up to 2018 MY Camaro's anyhow.

Personally, my interest is in being able to get one-touch out of the button that's in the car. Using the remote or door handle doesn't change the overall experience for me (except that using the remote from more than 10' away from car always requires multiple press-and-hold sessions to actually get it to open. Closing with the remote or door handle is zero benefit if I have to go back to the car to roll up the windows.

My one area of concern is whether this would defeat the 30MPH or less speed requirement to operate the top. They are clearly "going around" the built-in programming at some level with the controls they have implemented.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #4
Plasar

Lightbulb

• Thanks for the feedback Ember.
  • The ODB Port plugin is just a 2nd option - the primary is to plug the device inline to the convertible top module behind the rear seats.
  • The button in the car is one touch up/down - see 55 seconds into video: Mods4Cars at 55 secs- the key fob triple-click and door handle presses are just other ways.
  • Yes, good point, i hope this would work 10 feet or more away from the car from the key fob.
  • Yes, I suspect that this does not disable the "at speed top up/down" function in any way. I just suspect that the new inline module is responding to more car bus inputs that just the previous keyfob top button and front windshield top button - if will look for the other button tap/door handle tap combinations, and respond to them.
  • I didn't see where it was only good for 2016+2017 model year - did you see that from Mods4Cars, or hear that somewhere else?

Last edited by Plasar; 11-05-2020 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
Plasar

Thumbs up

OK, ordered now. If you'd like to stay up-to-date on progress, please subscribe to this thread.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
[LIST][*]The ODB Port plugin is just a 2nd option - the primary is to plug the device inline to the convertible top module behind the rear seats.
The window module is made by a third-party. So, while it's a secondary item, it's a second purchase as well. And since it's OEM'ed through these folks, support and warranty might be wonky and we also don't know how well it will work.

Quote:
[LIST][*]The button in the car is one touch up/down - see 55 seconds into video: Mods4Cars at 55 secs- the key fob triple-click and door handle presses are just other ways.
Yes, agreed and understood. I had watched the videos before posting. My point is that I don't personally care about the options outside of the button in the car.

Quote:
[LIST][*]Yes, good point, i hope this would work 10 feet or more away from the car from the key fob.
This will work more than 10' from the car because it's intermittent presses of the fob buttons. The problem with the factory top-down function is that you have to hit unlock and then HOLD the top down button. That signal gets interrupted easily and you have restart the button pressing option repeatedly. Unless you're standing right next to the car, which largely defeats the purpose of having the option in the first place, it doesn't work reliably with the built in control option.

Quote:
[LIST][*]Yes, I suspect that this does not disable the "at speed top up/down" function in any way. I just suspect that the new inline module is responding to more car bus inputs that just the previous keyfob top button and front windshield top button - if will look for the other button tap/door handle tap combinations, and respond to them.
I have no idea what to expect. The fact that they are support presses of the door handle button as well as sequenced presses of the fob buttons tells me that they are "catching" different inputs and then triggering outputs to control the top. If they are actually applying the control signal "after" the circuitry in the car (there is no way to put the top up in the car without the ignition at least being on yet it appears they can do it), then they may well be completely circumventing other fail-safe aspects like disabling the control above 30MPH.

Quote:
  • I didn't see where it was only good for 2016+2017 model year - did you see that from Mods4Cars, or hear that somewhere else?
The WINDOW module only works on CORVETTES and only model years 2013-2017. That's listed right in the description for that module on the MODS4CARS site.

Further, the SmarTOP module works on Gen7 Corvettes of all model years (apparently) but the window module does not. This further tells me that MODS4CARS is working outside of the ECM, being electrically "closer" to the motor control items since clearly certain changes to onboard software in the cars isn't affecting them.

My personal interest is still in that of one-touch operation from the switch IN the car. I couldn't care less about the rest of it.

I also would want a way to disable that one-touch control. After washing the car, it's wise to raise up the tonneau (partial operation of the top) to dry beneath the tonneau itself and in the various cavities of the car. If the module forces one-touch in all situations going forward, then this is a non-starter for me and would not be something I would go after. I would like to be able to "double-tap" the in-car switch to trigger one touch otherwise have it operate as press-and-hold.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:13 PM   #7
Plasar

Oh shoot, you might be right Embert, somehow, they are never showing windows closing after the top is closed via this product - oh well, I'll try it, and it's worth it for what it does.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Oh shoot, you might be right Embert, somehow, they are never showing windows closing after the top is closed via this product - oh well, I'll try it, and it's worth it for what it does.
It states that the module does NOT close the windows. This is available on Corvettes only, for certain model years, and requires the purchase of the additional module. So, the video of the Camaro (which, BTW, is no newer than 2018 based on the color) would not be able to show the windows rolling up anyhow...
Old 11-06-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
unixadm

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible Nightfall Gray
I was about to pull the trigger till I saw that the module does NOT close the windows. Love the one push down, but the big thing is being able to put up top AND close windows after getting out of car. Without that, it is only worth maybe $100 max to me for the down convenience.
unixadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 02:19 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixadm View Post
I was about to pull the trigger till I saw that the module does NOT close the windows. Love the one push down, but the big thing is being able to put up top AND close windows after getting out of car. Without that, it is only worth maybe $100 max to me for the down convenience.
For me, the value would be in being able to have the in-car buttons operate as one-touch. Since my car is a manual, I have other things that I'm actively "doing" when the car is in motion, and I typically am trying to close the top while I'm rolling along the last 500' of road before my driveway.

The out-of-car functions are not of any value to me at all although I could possibly see where the triple click unlock to open might be nice since I have -never- gotten the top to fully open using one pass through the Unlock(Click) / Open(Hold) process on the fob.
Old 11-09-2020, 10:49 PM   #11
Plasar

• Received the delivery from Mods4Cars today for SmartTOP.
  • I took a pic of what came in the box.
  • They are pretty complete with a USB cable and a velcro pad to affix the box inside the convertible top area.
  • I ran the updater utility - the firmware was up-to-date from Apr'20, and I chose the configuration preferences for my SmartTOP operation - I attached my selections in a screen print, and attached the Firmware Instructions PDF.
  • I made a reservation for Thu Nov 12 for the install with my shop.
  • I'll let you know how it turns out.
  • New discovery: you can choose new values for any configuration items interactively post-install via the windshield mounted top up/down button and with your left/right blinker indicators confirming your choices - slightly kinky, but OK, better than having to access device again.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Mods4Cars-FirmwareInstructions.pdf (2.16 MB, 171 views)
Old 11-10-2020, 07:10 AM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

I'm curious why you "made a reservation" for having it installed? The instructions are about as straight-forward as possible... Unclip the top portion of the rear seat, pull seat forward, reach down, unclip existing plug, insert module, re-attach plug to module. The whole thing takes minutes to do.

As for re-programming, interesting to know that you can stand on your head, wave one arm, touch your nose with the other, and get it to change settings (often, those type of settings change processes have to be timed just right to get them to work and can sometimes be frustrating). But, they do tell you to leave a USB cable attached and accessible for firmware updates - should also be able to re-program this way, too. No?
Old 11-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #13
tom's2005gto

Drives: 2016 2SS A8 Convertible
One touch is not important to me, neither is the function of operating from the door handle. I use the keyfob for this. I want "keyfob put top up and close windows" Reverse the factory keyfob.
tom's2005gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #14
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
I'm curious why you "made a reservation" for having it installed? The instructions are about as straight-forward as possible... Unclip the top portion of the rear seat, pull seat forward, reach down, unclip existing plug, insert module, re-attach plug to module. The whole thing takes minutes to do.

As for re-programming, interesting to know that you can stand on your head, wave one arm, touch your nose with the other, and get it to change settings (often, those type of settings change processes have to be timed just right to get them to work and can sometimes be frustrating). But, they do tell you to leave a USB cable attached and accessible for firmware updates - should also be able to re-program this way, too. No?

Agreed on all counts... (above)

Wish GM would offer an update to their software for windows up and top closed.
I’d love to hit the remote buttons like door locked once, top up 3 times in succession to fully close her up. The same is true but not as important to me as windows and top down. Pressing and holding the remote top down button is tedious and doesn’t work well at all.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote