Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-27-2019, 10:34 PM   #29
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Drives: 17 1SS(prev), 19 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28pat View Post
I just got my first manual in 20 years and I’m loving it , practice and you’ll get better in no time, congrats on the new ride !
Thanks! Congrats on your new whip as well
anwaar404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:46 PM   #30
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatGuy View Post
#1: Either rev out first gear until you hit 18-19 MPH and then shift, or if you don't want to do that, just slap the gear selector back towards second after it's in center neutral and it will let you go in to second. As others have mentioned, you can also go in to third, but I haven't had any reason to buy the skip shift eliminator since I always rev out to about 20MPH in first.

#2. Learn to heel toe or just blip the throttle when downshifting and it won't be so bad. Honestly though, I love the rev match as it makes the downshifting way smoother than I could ever do. Even seems to have a little rev hang for when you're up shifting, but that might just be in my head.
Switching out of 1st around 20mph or before 15mph worked out pretty well for me on my ride home.

I tried the heel toe method and damn near caught a leg cramp trying to do it Im about 6'5 so my right knee is too high to comfortably make that foot gesture so i figure that method is just not for me. lol I cant sit "cool" anymore like I did in my automatic, I used to have that seat low and as far back as possible.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #31
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie18SS View Post
First off, congrats on the new car and congrats for making the leap to a stick!

If you're gonna have these cars, you might as well have the fun transmission to go along with it!

#1. Skip shift sucks. An eliminator is just so much better.

#2. I've always suggested something to new clutch drivers that seems to work well. Sit in your driveway and practice blipping the throttle. After a little while, you get a feel for how hard to push it and how long the engine takes to respond. Set a target like 1500 rpms and practice hitting exactly 1500 consistently. You want to blip the gas and have the engine rev just until it hits 1500 and come back down. When you can repeat it, target 2000. This is for 2 things. You can use this same blip to match revs when downshifting and it makes taking off from a standstill easier and smoother.

Another thing to keep in mind is your clutch is new and needs a few miles to break in. It's going to be extra grabby at first which makes it a little harder to drive. You'll notice it's also going to smooth out.

Search this site for No Lift shift and it will tell you all about it. Its am awesome feature but I need to practice with it because it still feels foreign to me.

Have fun!!!
Thanks!

I had the complete opposite thinking about the clutch, I thought since its new it should be smoother and as it got older it get rough, good to know

My driveway is a hill so I use it to practice hill starts, reversing and "rocking" everytime I pull in lol
Old 03-27-2019, 11:11 PM   #32
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
Driving around the skip shift technically works, but I see it like this. You paid all this money and now invest all this time to get "the manual", and then you have to drive around constantly trying to avoid this "feature" that makes no sense in the first place, and, is really only there to fool regulatory agencies into relaxing certain penalties on high displacement engines.

You just know there was an engineer and a bean counter in a room together debating this feature.

Bean counter--"if we don't add this feature, the car will need to sell for $3000 more and it wont sell and you won't have a job anymore."

Engineer--"Okay, if thats what it takes to put the LT1 in this car, then so be it. But I want to make it defeatable."

Bean counter--"do what you have to do. Don't ask, don't tell. But don't make it too easy."

Engineer--"Okay, I'll make it just difficult enough to install, that you have to really want it."

Bean counter--"fine"

And there you have it. The skip shift solenoid is a huge pain to unplug, you can view the past threads on it. Basically, you need two long slot head screw drivers and maybe a long pair of needle nose pliers, a lot of patience, and about 45 min of concentration as you figure out how the heck to unplug this solenoid that sits up on the side of the transmission with a bunch of other junk in the way.

Your local mechanic could probably do it in 5 minutes but the point is, you can't just pop the hood and install it, and so I very much suspect this was a compromise.

I'd say on the order of necessity scale of mods, it is at the very top, followed very closely by ZL1 addons rock guards and bolt on lift pads.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:40 PM   #33
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
#1- skip shift sucks, you should buy the skip shift eliminator and install it as soon as possible. After its gone, you'll wonder how other people live with it.
It didn’t bother me at all. It drove my wife nuts. Gen5diy eliminator worked great. It is a tight squeeze to install and I’ve got long fingers and skinny hands.
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:27 AM   #34
anwaar404
CatchMeIfYouCan

Quote:
Originally Posted by protovack View Post
Driving around the skip shift technically works, but I see it like this. You paid all this money and now invest all this time to get "the manual", and then you have to drive around constantly trying to avoid this "feature" that makes no sense in the first place, and, is really only there to fool regulatory agencies into relaxing certain penalties on high displacement engines.

You just know there was an engineer and a bean counter in a room together debating this feature.

Bean counter--"if we don't add this feature, the car will need to sell for $3000 more and it wont sell and you won't have a job anymore."

Engineer--"Okay, if thats what it takes to put the LT1 in this car, then so be it. But I want to make it defeatable."

Bean counter--"do what you have to do. Don't ask, don't tell. But don't make it too easy."

Engineer--"Okay, I'll make it just difficult enough to install, that you have to really want it."

Bean counter--"fine"

And there you have it. The skip shift solenoid is a huge pain to unplug, you can view the past threads on it. Basically, you need two long slot head screw drivers and maybe a long pair of needle nose pliers, a lot of patience, and about 45 min of concentration as you figure out how the heck to unplug this solenoid that sits up on the side of the transmission with a bunch of other junk in the way.

Your local mechanic could probably do it in 5 minutes but the point is, you can't just pop the hood and install it, and so I very much suspect this was a compromise.

I'd say on the order of necessity scale of mods, it is at the very top, followed very closely by ZL1 addons rock guards and bolt on lift pads.
Old 03-28-2019, 06:57 AM   #35
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by anwaar404 View Post
But mannn it's just me being stubborn and trying to be a "perfectionist" but when I have Rev Match on my shifting is almost flawless besides when that 1st to 4th shxt happens, it just feels wrong lol..putting more effort into coasting omw home today helped alot so preciate that Airfuel
1st to 4th took a bit to get used to on this car - hard to explain exactly how to get it smoothly, but I've found popping the clutch about 2/3 of the way, and then rolling the last bit of travel just a little slower seems to help.

Last edited by CamaroChriSS; 03-28-2019 at 09:19 AM.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:39 AM   #36
L8Apex

Drives: 2016 2SS
The FBW delay on the pedal response makes rev matching less than ideal on downshifts, I added a throttle controller to help. It's improved but the lag is not completely gone.
L8Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:13 AM   #37
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Apex View Post
The FBW delay on the pedal response makes rev matching less than ideal on downshifts, I added a throttle controller to help. It's improved but the lag is not completely gone.
Boosters don’t do much. Remember to use different engine modes, sport and track are better responsive to throttle inputs.
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019 camaro, 2019 ss, atlanta, manual tranmission, rev match