Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #1
babymandm

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Carmax

Has anyone ever dealt with a Carmax before? I spoke to a salesman from a dealer in another state and he told me I should go to a Carmax and get an appraisal on my car and if it's higher than what he offered, they will go by the Carmax amount, if it's lower, they will use the amount that was originally offered. I see they sell cars and they mention on their site if you find a car at another one of their locations, they will ship it for a fee. Has anyone ever done this before or had any experience with them? Are they trustworthy? And how much is this fee they speak of? Any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
RichSS2006

Drives: 2010 2SSRS
I've gotten them to do a quotes on a couple of cars that I was considering trading. The quote was very complete. It took about an hour. I thought their quote were competitive. I didn't end up doing a deal with them as I decided to buy another car elsewhere. They do have nice cars. Friends of my wife have bought cars from them and they seem to be happy. Beyond that I don't know any more. Rich
Old 01-09-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
babymandm

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Thank you for the info. I'm just wondering how much they would charge to have a car shipped from another dealer. And if I can trust them. Thanks again!
Old 01-09-2016, 01:34 PM   #4
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
I used car max to appraise my car and they offered a $1k more than my chevy dealer, and the chevy dealer matched. It's a good experience but there's no haggling at carmax that I know about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I went with a friend to get an estimate on her car. They seemed legit, and didn't make us feel pressured at all. It was like, "here's our offer. Take some time to think about it and call us back if you're interested."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
witenite

Drives: 2010 2SS non RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymandm View Post
Thank you for the info. I'm just wondering how much they would charge to have a car shipped from another dealer. And if I can trust them. Thanks again!
If you find a car on their website, it should tell you what the shipping fee is. Just be aware if you pay to have a car shipped to your carmax and you don't buy the car you loose that money. Bought my current 2010 from carmax and gave me a fair price on my GTO. Also had the camaro shipped with no issues. No fee on mine shipped. Guess it was close enough so shipping was free.
witenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #7
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
My only serious interaction with Carmax was when my wife had her accident and we were looking to replace her G8 with another G8. As stated above, they do not haggle at all. If they had I'd probably be back on the G8 forums more instead of spending most of my time here. Their sales prices are higher than normal, which may be why they offer a little more for trades. I have never tried to trade anything with them but if you are buying, they are definitely overpriced for regular market value.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
VA SSHEVY

Drives: 2012 SS/RS Convertible
Sold them my Rumblebee, but not my Corvette or wife Mercedes. Almost bought a replacement Benz but the wife thought it pulled and then found evidence of a repaint job. Didn't buy it. Like someone said, if beyond a certain distance you pay for shipping, and you lose something if its delivered and you don't want it.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
IMPERIALBLUE2SS

Drives: 2010 imperial blue LS3 M6 2SSRS
Bought my wife's 09 G37 coupe from them 4 yrs ago. I'm in Va, the car was in Md, they shipped it for free. 5k cheaper than local dealer that had exact same car with 20k more miles on it. Bought my 10 SS from them 3 months later, had 2k miles on it and was 8k cheaper than local dealerships with a comparable car with 10k on it. No they don't haggle but it's like anything gotta shop around. When the 5th gens were hot, they were cheaper than the dealerships. Now that the 6th gen is out, you can get a better price with the dealerships since they want to move them.
IMPERIALBLUE2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #10
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
I have dealt with Carmax many times. Frankly, my experiences lately have not even come close to matching the experiences I had years ago. Nowadays, they don't seem to be willing to do better than what I would have gotten on trade-in, and many times I have gotten low-balled.

Plus, the cars that have to sell don't seem to be very clean. I don't know for sure, but I always assumed a business decision was made somewhere in the last few years to offer less for cars and to not put as much expense into cleaning the ones they had to sell. Just my two cents
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:03 PM   #11
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
I used to work for them for 5 years. They really are a unique, no hassle type of dealership. Give them a try, they will appraise your car and print you out an offer good for 6-7 days I think.

They will send the car to your local Carmax if it's at one of their other locations. The fee will be posted on the Internet.

And the cars that actually make it to the front lot, every one of them are detailed, and mechanically inspected. They won't put cars on their lots to sale if they have been modified, lifted, lowered, wrecked, etc..they go to their private actions which usually ends up at local small dealers etc... Give them a try, they are a good company in my opinion
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #12
nross33

Drives: 2015 Camaro LT- Gone 2010 Camaro SS
I had a car where they offered me $3k for it and the dealer offered me $10k, Carmax can be annoying :/
nross33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 AM   #13
BMWW
Emerald Archer

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Synergy Green Metallic
I bought my 2011 SS on September 8, 2015. I had CarMax appraise my 2010 LT and they offered me a good deal, far better than my local Chevy dealer. I was not pressured into trading it in, I did let them know that I had another potential buyer for the car. The rep told me that it was okay and had 14 days before the appraisal would become void. Ultimately I sold the car to my cousin at an even better deal than CarMax. CarMax didn't mention the car again while purchasing my 2011 SS.

I had my SS transferred from another CarMax dealership from the east coast. The CarMax rep that helped me through the entire process said, that the farther away that the car is from the area you are located, the higher the cost it is to transfer. For example, my car was being transferred from the east coast to the west coast and it cost $999 to transfer the car. If I had the car transferred from Las Vegas, NV it would have cost me $249 to transfer. The car that I wanted, unfortunately, was on the east coast thousands of miles away from me and in order for me to get what I want I had to pay nearly a grand. Be aware though that once to pay the transfer fee and you do not buy the vehicle you had transferred you cannot get that transfer fee back.

The time it takes for the car to get to your local CarMax varies by distance as well as the transfer truck doing the delivery. My car took 28 days almost a month to arrive. I asked my CarMax rep why so long, he said that truck drivers pick up other vehicles and make other stops and deliveries to other CarMax dealerships along the way.

My experience was positive, but then again they did not need to badger me into buying the car. I went in there knowing what I wanted and I got it, all they had to do was fill in all the paperwork and get in contact with my bank to finance the car.
BMWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
BurnedRubber
Ben Rakers

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
I used to work at carmax, they will usually offer you more than a dealer just because they can sell anything. if it dosent go on the front lot they have an auction that dealers come to every monday morning that they sell cars that don't meet their standards or are modified or cant offer extended warranties. when i worked there we had a new GTR and an acura NSX both go through the auction. it dosent hurt to go get an appraisal from them, they are very fair and will look at what similar cars are selling for and give you a price from there.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS K&N Blackhawk Cold air intake, Hawk Performance Ceramic pads, BAER drilled and slotted rotors, Side louver black faded inserts, Hurst Short Throw Shifter, BMR Trailing Arms, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MSD Spark Plug Wires, Texas Speed 1 7/8in Headers and cat back, High Flow Cats, 3 inch X-Pipe, Speed Dawg shift knob, Tuned by Nickey. And oh, its My first car.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_L...5jF6EQEoKDNQ2g
BurnedRubber is offline   Reply With Quote