Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #1
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Flowmaster super 10 review

Just want to write a brief review of the Super 10's from Flowmaster. I have used Flowmasters in the past and in my opinion, they are up there in terms of sound and performance.

My setup included using my NPP tips with the Super 10's.. I have full NPP functionality which is GREAT!! The Super 10's I used is one inlet and two outlet for dual tips on each side.

Super 10's - VERY VERY deep tone exhaust as I was looking for the deepest, loudest burble especially at idle. Super 10's sounded the most muscular compared to others and vs Flowmaster Outlaws. Outlaws is a bit louder but not as deep. I could have gone with either or and the Outlaws is kind of similar to SW.

Stock NPP muffler is about 40-55 lbs.. Didn't have to touch my secondary cats and don't want to mess with them for emission and warranty issues.

Stealth/Tour - A tiny, tiny bit louder than NPP sport at WOT. Zero drone revs are not deep and loud. Anyting under 3k rpm feels just like sport/track mode. Cold start is pretty much the same as sport mode with NPP. Idles and rev sound is about the same.

Sport/Track - Now this mode is DEEP with a lot of rumble. There is drone from 2k - 2200k rpm but I installed 26" J-pipes after and eliminated 80-90% of the drone. Done deal! Best mode and I leave it on Sport 24/7.

Performance - I can only used the butt dyno and what I know.. from 2k -4k rpm def pulls harder in all modes. I can cruise at 2.5k rpm and then suddenly stab the throttle and it throws you back harder. Haven't tested high rpm near redline yet so I can't comment on that. Maybe 5-10 lb torque?

Overall thoughts - Now Flowmasters are known to rumble and most do have drone but with the NPP option, I have options to tune it out.. If I can do it again, I will do every single time along w/ the J-pipe. I heard a few different brands in real life and I'll be honest, most of them sound good as well so you really can't go wrong with any of them! I went to the best muffler shop I know Mike's Performance Exhaust in Los Angeles and paid more than average to have it welded perfectly and to retain my NPP ($450 total with custom J-pipes).

Future plans - I may get the Flowmaster Scavenger X-Pipe if I want more torque but I will probably need more power to make use of it. Our cars already have an X-pipe configuration so I can wait on it

Here's a VERY CRAPPY VID from my cell phone. This is just for an idea so listen with headphones to really hear how it sounds in real life.

My favorite.. that idle!
https://vid.me/1b0s

Cold start in Sport mode & toggling stealth vs sport:
https://vid.me/rs8s

Warm start Sport mode:
https://vid.me/qmHa

Drive by's at slow-normal speeds. Told my buddy to push it but he didn't :(
https://vid.me/pwyP
https://vid.me/tYbM

Pics

Custom made 26" J-pipes to eliminate the drone

Last edited by Richard0nee; 08-15-2017 at 04:33 PM.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Those look sweet!!!
Old 11-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #3
Johnny lighting

Drives: 2017 2ss
Sounds, good thanks for the video
Johnny lighting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #4
R3DLT1
Toyota Tech

Drives: 2SS A8
Looks n sounds good
R3DLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #5
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
How do you still maintain the npp function? From my understanding the super 10 is just an open chamber with like two arrow shaped baffles and that's it. Closing off one side would only make all the exhaust exit one pipe but that is in no way a different path or more restrictive path. Did you cut them open and chamber off the one side? I just dont see how that even works lol. Your car does sound really good tho!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/super-10-series/
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #6
Richard0nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
How do you still maintain the npp function? From my understanding the super 10 is just an open chamber with like two arrow shaped baffles and that's it. Closing off one side would only make all the exhaust exit one pipe but that is in no way a different path or more restrictive path. Did you cut them open and chamber off the one side? I just dont see how that even works lol. Your car does sound really good tho!

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/super-10-series/
Thanks guys, cell phone vids don't do justice lol Best sounding exhaust that I heard but I like deep, muscular tone vs being more raspy.

The NPP bypass valve is inside the exhaust tips. They cut around the NPP tips.. So when in stealth/tour the exhaust is coming out of one tip.. In sport/track, it's coming out of both... did a hell of a job and most shops wanted me to lose NPP and buy dual tips.

Keeping the OEM tips was nice but retaining NPP was important in the event I want it quiet. A real good exhaust shop can do but they will have to customize the install.

Last edited by Richard0nee; 11-06-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:36 PM   #7
Whitemaro6

Drives: 16 Summit white, Ceramic white 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Thanks guys, cell phone vids don't do justice lol Best sounding exhaust that I heard but I like deep, muscular tone vs being more raspy.

The NPP bypass valve is inside the exhaust tips. They cut around the NPP tips.. So when in stealth/tour the exhaust is coming out of one tip.. In sport/track, it's coming out of both... did a hell of a job and most shops wanted me to lose NPP and buy dual tips.

Keeping the OEM tips was nice but retaining NPP was important in the event I want it quiet. A real good exhaust shop can do but they will have to customize the install.
Yes I see that you cut the tips and motors off the npp suit case and welded them back on to the flowmaster. I don't think you understood my question. The whole "point" of the npp is to have the option between an almost straight thru pipe and a closed off restricted muffler depending on the electric valve position. With your set up, all closing one side off does is route all the exhaust thru the one side but with your muffler being an open design that does not restrict the flow at all or cause the exhaust gas to really flow any differently closing the flaps might change the tone, not decibels, but that is it. Not trying to start anything just trying to understand why you did what you did. You essentially now have a tone changer lol. Still sounds bad ass and I might do this if I can find a way to have straight pipe on the out side tips and the super 10s on the inside tips.
Whitemaro6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:38 PM   #8
My87z28

Drives: 1987 Z28, 385cid, '16 Camaro 1SS
I bought a non NPP car simply because I knew most all the NPP compatible options would be crazy expensive once they came out. Before I even bought the car I bought a 3" X-pipe, 3"x6" flex pipes, flowmaster 10's, and 4" flow master double wall tips. The day after I took delivery of the car I had it all installed from the cat back.

The OP is correct, it is a very deep typical chambered muffle tone. It's certainly louder than stock, even the NPP track mode, but for me it's still not loud enough. It sounds good while accelerating but once up to speed (6th gear) it tones down quite a bit. Of course this has a lot to do with the fact that the car is doing like 1500rpm at 60mph in 6th gear. Downshift it into 5th and it sounds great. I'm actually planning to take the car back next spring to have the mufflers cut off all together.

'16 1SS 6M, black with jet black interior, split spoke gray machined faced wheels, and black front/rear bowtie emblems.
My87z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Richard0nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemaro6 View Post
Yes I see that you cut the tips and motors off the npp suit case and welded them back on to the flowmaster. I don't think you understood my question. The whole "point" of the npp is to have the option between an almost straight thru pipe and a closed off restricted muffler depending on the electric valve position. With your set up, all closing one side off does is route all the exhaust thru the one side but with your muffler being an open design that does not restrict the flow at all or cause the exhaust gas to really flow any differently closing the flaps might change the tone, not decibels, but that is it. Not trying to start anything just trying to understand why you did what you did. You essentially now have a tone changer lol. Still sounds bad ass and I might do this if I can find a way to have straight pipe on the out side tips and the super 10s on the inside tips.
Oh yeah I got you. Yep with my setup when closed it's one straight pipe on Stealth not baffled like the OEM mufflers. I chose this route since I have used Flowmasters in the past and I like their sound. I was originally going to get rid of the secondary cats (or muffler delete) but didn't want to deal with a possible loss of low-end torque, emissions and warranty. It will be louder and raspier at WOT but I really wanted a deep muscular tone.

I like Borla & SW but I'm not dropping $1500+ for an exhaust. My setup was $400 with custom installation and that is a BARGAIN since not only I got the sound I want, I also got more low end torque lol

It can be a tone changer as well I just want to make sure I can be somewhat quiet when I need to.. Sport mode (My stealth) isn't too loud IMO and it's fine according to folks that aren't into cars and exhaust.

It's a win-win for me and it will be a perfect setup if there was zero drone at 2k at sport/track.. Luckily, I don't mind the drone for this setup. But can be different for others tho. Hope you get what you want done soon!
Old 11-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #10
Richard0nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by My87z28 View Post
I bought a non NPP car simply because I knew most all the NPP compatible options would be crazy expensive once they came out. Before I even bought the car I bought a 3" X-pipe, 3"x6" flex pipes, flowmaster 10's, and 4" flow master double wall tips. The day after I took delivery of the car I had it all installed from the cat back.

The OP is correct, it is a very deep typical chambered muffle tone. It's certainly louder than stock, even the NPP track mode, but for me it's still not loud enough. It sounds good while accelerating but once up to speed (6th gear) it tones down quite a bit. Of course this has a lot to do with the fact that the car is doing like 1500rpm at 60mph in 6th gear. Downshift it into 5th and it sounds great. I'm actually planning to take the car back next spring to have the mufflers cut off all together.
Muffler delete doesn't sound too bad at all and it's the cheapest route. NPP is more expensive to have, alter, upgrade but I'm glad that I can be loud when I want or quieter if I need to be. Post some vids if you get it done!
Old 11-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #11
Blk16SS

Drives: 2016 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard0nee View Post
Muffler delete doesn't sound too bad at all and it's the cheapest route. NPP is more expensive to have, alter, upgrade but I'm glad that I can be loud when I want or quieter if I need to be. Post some vids if you get it done!
He means something like this muffler from flowtech. Notice the straight through side...
Attached Images

Blk16SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
Richard0nee

Ahh I got ya.. Wonder how it sounds? Muffler delete doesn't sound bad at all tho
Old 11-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #13
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
I'm curious, what do you guys think the outcome would be if you made a custom NPP set up with the Super10 and the Outlaw muffler in a set up similar to what flowmaster is doing with their NPP system which also uses two mufflers? I know you wont get any quiet sounds, but would this still function to switch between the deeper super10 and then switching to the outlaw when fully open? will you get a blend of both notes when the NPP is set to track?
just brainstorming here, I like to see when people do their own custom work
Old 11-07-2016, 12:37 PM   #14
Richard0nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techn9cian805 View Post
I'm curious, what do you guys think the outcome would be if you made a custom NPP set up with the Super10 and the Outlaw muffler in a set up similar to what flowmaster is doing with their NPP system which also uses two mufflers? I know you wont get any quiet sounds, but would this still function to switch between the deeper super10 and then switching to the outlaw when fully open? will you get a blend of both notes when the NPP is set to track?
just brainstorming here, I like to see when people do their own custom work
Hmm.. not sure if I'm understanding you. You mean Super 10 on one side and Outlaws on the other side with NPP?

In all honesty, the Outlaws and Super 10's are very close with the Outlaws being a bit louder and the Super 10's deeper. I could have went either or and be satisfied lol