Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #29
Pwiegand

Drives: 2018 ZL1 in sweet hyper blue
Also A10 and do get the same feeling. I've chalked it up to lack of grip, even at 50+, at WOT and the car compensating with traction control and ELSD slip. Turning off the nannies would answer the question but I, for one, would be hesitant to try this except for on a very empty and very wide road.
Pwiegand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:54 AM   #30
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwiegand View Post
Also A10 and do get the same feeling. I've chalked it up to lack of grip, even at 50+, at WOT and the car compensating with traction control and ELSD slip. Turning off the nannies would answer the question but I, for one, would be hesitant to try this except for on a very empty and very wide road.
I think that's wise. I mean, most of us have probably had plenty of powerful performance cars and can handle a car getting out of shape, but I've done some playing around with nannies off in this car and it just has such fast snap-oversteer that unless you have a lot of room or are used to anticipating this car's behavior with all the assists disabled, a regular ol two-lane road isn't going to be the place to get good at catching the rear end when it goes sideways. It happens pretty quickly.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:31 AM   #31
mr965

Drives: ///M3
Tire grooves on highway will make our cars wallow side to side under acceleration. Let it loose at a track day and you’ll have a blast.
mr965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:07 AM   #32
speedraider

Drives: 2016 Z06, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmueller View Post
This is not a mismatching tire issue. This happens on stock ZL1s with newish factory tires. I can’t say if it happens with different tires. I have had mismatched tires causing float on other cars. That feeling is present all the time with any steering input at highway speed. The feeling others and myself are talking about happens when going full throttle while already at highway speed. It’s different than mismatching tires.
Yea whatever, Match the tires and it goes away.
speedraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:50 PM   #33
Bx Tpr

Drives: 22 ZLE 6MT
Happened with OEM tires and the Michelin PSS's when I put them on. Just feels like the car is tramlining like crazy.
Bx Tpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #34
thompstl1

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
My car's done this since I first accelerated hard after break-in. 8,000 miles later it still does it. A-10, stock tires. Other's have reported similar problems on different threads as well.

For whatever it may be worth, I was really nervous about driving the car at the Texas Mile and reaching speeds of 174 mph with the car having that "issue". I've got to say that I ran it about 8 times and never once had the feeling. Back home, it's right back to having the issue you describe.

For that reason, I've attributed it to a combination of high horsepower and poor road condition where the car is tramlining...

I was hoping the Michelin's would help too, but was disappointed to see one poster has them and is experiencing the same issue.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:48 AM   #35
Jmueller

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10 Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompstl1 View Post
My car's done this since I first accelerated hard after break-in. 8,000 miles later it still does it. A-10, stock tires. Other's have reported similar problems on different threads as well.

For whatever it may be worth, I was really nervous about driving the car at the Texas Mile and reaching speeds of 174 mph with the car having that "issue". I've got to say that I ran it about 8 times and never once had the feeling. Back home, it's right back to having the issue you describe.

For that reason, I've attributed it to a combination of high horsepower and poor road condition where the car is tramlining...

I was hoping the Michelin's would help too, but was disappointed to see one poster has them and is experiencing the same issue.
I wouldn’t be nervous running it in the mile. This issue only shows up when dropping the hammer when you are already at about 50-70mph. That’s when you’ll feel the car sway side to side. If you launch it, the weight stays transferred and the car feels planted.
Jmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:19 AM   #36
Krowser

Drives: ZL1 Mosaic Black
This only happens to me at low speed WOT accelerations in first gear. I am always able to do 40 rolls, 50 rolls, and see em' run em' pulls without any shimy on stock wheels and tires.

Granted, I live in a tropical environment. I have observed the tire pressures play a HUGE role in NVH, feedback dynamics of driving across pavement at low speeds and taking corners. I have my tires set to 33psi. When I first start the car, pressure is at 29psi. When the tires are good and warm, it goes to 35-36psi.

To the OP, I think you must take into consideration the non-stock setup may be messing with your magnetic ride control calibration if you did not zero it out at your local dealer. As you accelerate, the mag ride is providing feedback to your ECU which does provide input to the e-diff.
Krowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:22 AM   #37
wlsmoku

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10
mine does it as well - stock tires/wheels. I like others have said believe its all the electronic traction control options. if you roll into it, there is no problems at what ever speed you want (to me meaning its not a tire size issue), but if you stab it the steering can be undesirable.
wlsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #38
ReefBlueCoupe

Drives: '18 ZL1 1LE MBM
Yeah - it's not tires or road surfaces as others have suggested in this thread. Happens with different tires, happens on many roads.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:38 PM   #39
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
I would check tire pressures first, then check your alignment. I had this issue in my last ZL1 and my rear was every so slightly out of alignment and it made the car feel exactly as you are describing it. Had it aligned and it went away immediately.
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:26 PM   #40
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
I've felt this as well. 100% stock and A10. I've felt this before on other cars and have always thought it was due to the suspension geometry changing due to the hard acceleration and minor road irregularities. I know running it in track mode helps, but it still gets squirmy from time to time. Not always.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #41
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I’ve felt this as well on the stock tires. It’s definitely unsettling and doesn’t seem “normal”. I put my car up on our alignment machine and dialed it in a few weeks ago, but I don’t think it eliminated this sensation. It may have reduced it, but I’m not totally sure.

It does almost feel like something with the E-diff. It would be great if a software update could get rid of it.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:33 PM   #42
1roadking

Drives: 2017 ZL1 silver A10
I believe it’s the car breaking loose. When you romp on it at this speed it drops to 3rd and instantly is at max power. The traction controls in this car lets you get a little hairy if you lay all the way in it. I love that feeling lol. I don’t like the tramelining though, I feel like that feeling is exasperated by the electronic steering trying to compensate.
1roadking is offline   Reply With Quote