Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
SSnakeEater

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Just pulled the trigger on a Whipple

After doing some research I have decided to pull the trigger on a Whipple. I just ordered it today so it should be here in a month. Once it is installed I am going to have Matt from GPtuning tune it for my mods. I am kind of bummed I won't be able to run e85 anymore (without updating fuel system.) I have been told a meth kit would be equivalent but I do not know anything about that. Can someone chime in please? It's my daily driver btw.
SSnakeEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Drives: Compound Boost 17' ZL1 (shop car)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSnakeEater View Post
After doing some research I have decided to pull the trigger on a Whipple. I just ordered it today so it should be here in a month. Once it is installed I am going to have Matt from GPtuning tune it for my mods. I am kind of bummed I won't be able to run e85 anymore (without updating fuel system.) I have been told a meth kit would be equivalent but I do not know anything about that. Can someone chime in please? It's my daily driver btw.
First off, Matt is great and will take good care of you! As for the E85 I have a low side system that should allow you to run around E50-60 depending on your mods. If you already have the flex sensor installed I would not bail on running it and switch to meth. Sending you a PM with more details.
Steve @ WEAPON_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #3
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Where is GP tuning? Who did you purchase the Whipple from?
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Look over all the info in this section to check yours.
Easier to find and fix a problem on the bench and during install, then after driving it. I think most of the guys here, who installed SC'ers, have encountered just about all the potential problems.
But of course keep us posted on your install and any problems you face.
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
SSnakeEater

I believe GPtuning is in Hayward. I haven’t setup an appointment with Matt yet so I don’t know the exact physical address. From what I hear, he knows his stuff. Bought the whipple from TPS Motorsports in San Jose. Valaya racing in SJ will be doing the install.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
I believe GPtuning is in Hayward. I haven’t setup an appointment with Matt yet so I don’t know the exact physical address. From what I hear, he knows his stuff. Bought the whipple from TPS Motorsports in San Jose. Valaya racing in SJ will be doing the install.
Please keep us posted on the install. Did you get the Whipple with the handheld tuner or will Valaya do a custom tune for you?
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
Good luck with your build, and congrats.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #8
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
As others have noted, let us know how the install goes. have heard from a few that matt does good woork, ive been looking for a good shop close by
Old 02-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #9
SSnakeEater

Update: I am going to be doing the LT4 fuel system upgrade as well. Matt from GP tuning can’t touch the car till May and I can’t wait that long so I am thinking about driving to Turlock and having Josh at Starkweather do the install/tune. I am waiting to hear back from him on a quote for the total cost of install/tune. Should know more tomorrow.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
pcw

Drives: 2011 Porsche Spyder
Quote:
Update: I am going to be doing the LT4 fuel system upgrade as well. Matt from GP tuning can’t touch the car till May and I can’t wait that long so I am thinking about driving to Turlock and having Josh at Starkweather do the install/tune. I am waiting to hear back from him on a quote for the total cost of install/tune. Should know more tomorrow.
SSnakeEater, can you please explain what the LT4 fuel upgrade is, what parts does it include and the appox cost?

Thanks,
pcw
pcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
SSnakeEater

My understanding is that the stock fuel system on the Camaro SS will support the addition of a supercharger. However, if you decide you want to run e85 or a different pully setup for more power down the road, you are going to need more fuel. By using the high pressure fuel pump, injectors and in tank pump the ZL1 uses (LT4) you are able to push it a little further. I am told that you still can't run full e85 until you do a cam swap which costs like $7k but you can run e60 which will give you plenty more power. Again, I am no expert. I am just going off what I have been told from reputable sources on this site.
Old 02-27-2018, 10:23 AM   #12
Steve @ WEAPON_X

Drives: Compound Boost 17' ZL1 (shop car)
Quote:
My understanding is that the stock fuel system on the Camaro SS will support the addition of a supercharger. However, if you decide you want to run e85 or a different pully setup for more power down the road, you are going to need more fuel. By using the high pressure fuel pump, injectors and in tank pump the ZL1 uses (LT4) you are able to push it a little further. I am told that you still can't run full e85 until you do a cam swap which costs like $7k but you can run e60 which will give you plenty more power. Again, I am no expert. I am just going off what I have been told from reputable sources on this site.
To add tho this, depending on what power level you want to get to even if it isn't your first target you may want to go right to our SPi secondary injection system. With this SPi system you can run full E85 and it will support 1000+ hp
Steve @ WEAPON_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #13
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:

I bite my tongue sometime. After building, modifying and driving gasoline engines (cars and bikes) PPL don't understand "Top end is only as good as the bottom end". I see some have been lucky, some not.
I spun a HD motor to 9,000 RPM making power........for a couple times.
Build an LT4 top end (stock cam/3 lobe, stock pistons...etc) Roll the dice!
My car runs great....It is "SAFE" (under 600HP, 10lbs boost)
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
pcw

Drives: 2011 Porsche Spyder
Thanks for the info, my stage 2 STI factory fuel pump was choking at 5k rpm added a Walbro HPFP and it ran like a Rolex😁.... Thanks again

pcw
pcw is offline   Reply With Quote