Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 09-29-2017, 06:56 AM   #1
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Thoughts on Thompson Motorsports?

I'm looking to completely rebuild my car into something I can take to the track often. I was looking at building a 427 lsx for a twin turbo set up and stumbled across this set up here http://www.thompsonmotorsports.net/p...roducts_id=533. Was just curious if this is a good deal or something worth investing in.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:40 AM   #2
UNRIVALED SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Send a message via Yahoo to UNRIVALED SS
Goals?

For 25K that's no necessarily the way I would go personally.

I would make an honest assessment of what I really wanted. Once you know what you expect then you can kind of determine the path or method to achieve it. You don't necessarily need a turboed 427 to go to the track.

After you spend the 25K on the engine package you will need to improve the rest of the drive line because that turbo 427 will eat a stock clutch, trans and rear like a ham and cheese sandwhich after a hard days work.

Just some things to consider and you may have considered those already. If you have, I've never heard anything bad about Thompson.
UNRIVALED SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
If you want 1300+whp then that's the kind of engine you need to buy. Thompson is good stuff.
You certainly don't need that much engine if you just want to make 1000whp on pump gas.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #4
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNRIVALED SS View Post
For 25K that's no necessarily the way I would go personally.

I would make an honest assessment of what I really wanted. Once you know what you expect then you can kind of determine the path or method to achieve it. You don't necessarily need a turboed 427 to go to the track.

After you spend the 25K on the engine package you will need to improve the rest of the drive line because that turbo 427 will eat a stock clutch, trans and rear like a ham and cheese sandwhich after a hard days work.

Just some things to consider and you may have considered those already. If you have, I've never heard anything bad about Thompson.
Oh absolutely. I pick my 9" rear end on sunday, and I was looking into Jake's 4L80 transmissions. I know I don't need that set up to go to the track, it's just the set up that I came up with after doing some research.
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

Old 09-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
If you want 1300+whp then that's the kind of engine you need to buy. Thompson is good stuff.
You certainly don't need that much engine if you just want to make 1000whp on pump gas.
I can say I want to make 1000whp, because that would be awesome. I'm also more so looking if later down the road I wanna put more power into it. So my thinking is if I have an engine capable of 1500whp it would be more beneficial than getting an engine that's good only to 1000whp then end up wanting more down the road and having no room to work because of the engine's limitations.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
CGbambam

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Looks all good but i'm sure that turbo kit wont fit without some cutting and fab work
CGbambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:31 AM   #7
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGbambam View Post
Looks all good but i'm sure that turbo kit wont fit without some cutting and fab work
Yeah I was thinking the same. I'm not sure if they are built once they're ordered or if they're already pre-built. If they're built after they're ordered they may be able to move things around in order to make it fit with little to no modification to the vehicle. Something I'll definitely ask them about.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #8
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
I'm looking to completely rebuild my car into something I can take to the track often. I was looking at building a 427 lsx for a twin turbo set up and stumbled across this set up here http://www.thompsonmotorsports.net/p...roducts_id=533. Was just curious if this is a good deal or something worth investing in.
Nice! Looks like your ready to drop some cheddar . . . I know the feeling

If your doing the work yourself then go man go. If you are soliciting help from a speed shop then I would get them in on what to get because they will know what they have done in the past and what really works or doesn't work. Just sayin.
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #9
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
You won't regret having more engine than turbo.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #10
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
Nice! Looks like your ready to drop some cheddar . . . I know the feeling

If your doing the work yourself then go man go. If you are soliciting help from a speed shop then I would get them in on what to get because they will know what they have done in the past and what really works or doesn't work. Just sayin.
Oh of course! I'm just surveying possible options and if I can save some money while I'm at it, it would most certainly help! I'd be bringing my ideas to my shop before I went out and bought anything. You've got yourself a pretty sweet set up btw.

Old 09-29-2017, 12:59 PM   #11
BiggFoot

That will be a BEAST when ur done!

I am living on borrowed time with this HP level on a stock bottom end but honestly, I don't bang it all of the time. But when/if I get to the track I don't pull any punches

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Old 09-29-2017, 01:01 PM   #12
BiggFoot

IC you are getting a 9". I happen to have a Strange 4.11 gear for a 9" that I would be willing to sell. When Pyle Brothers pulled it to put in the 3.70 they said it had NO wear and was in excellent shape. Don't know if you have seen one but that 9" gear makes a stock gear look like a midget. It is one beefy son-a-gun.

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggFoot View Post
IC you are getting a 9". I happen to have a Strange 4.11 gear for a 9" that I would be willing to sell. When Pyle Brothers pulled it to put in the 3.70 they said it had NO wear and was in excellent shape. Don't know if you have seen one but that 9" gear makes a stock gear look like a midget. It is one beefy son-a-gun.
I was actually thinking of going with a lower gear like a 3.45. The guy I bought the 9" from, I believe said it had like a 4.35 or something like that in it.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:35 PM   #14
BiggFoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
I was actually thinking of going with a lower gear like a 3.45. The guy I bought the 9" from, I believe said it had like a 4.35 or something like that in it.

If you look at the big boys (the really high HP stuff) on the various forum Fast Lists, they all are running low gears, so understood.

RPM Level VII
TR6060
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile