Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-25-2017, 09:03 AM   #29
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Here is Illinois, we have 87, 89 and 93. I typically have been using 93 but I'm curious about 89. Has anyone used this octane level?? would my SS still be in the "high" octane table??

thanks!

joe...
Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #30
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
If you are on your stock tune and you drop back to 87 or 89 octane your CPU will use the lower octane table and stay there unless you pull fuse #5 & #20 to reset it. Once it drops to the lower table and changes the timing it will not revert back up to the 93 octane table by itself just because you started using premium fuel.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 AM   #31
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Holy hell I can't believe there are people with SS's running 87 or lower octane! The owners manual calls for premium which is 91 octane. If your running the lower octane you leaving power on the table.

And the RPM's raising after a can of NOS is pretty funny.

I was tuned on 91 octane. It's widely available and without ethanol through Shell. Everyone else, at least in Canada, sells premium with ethanol. So running 94 octane for me is a waste of money and makes no difference at all. To fully utilize higher octane it's all in the tuning.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:44 AM   #32
WoodBoss
"Old School"

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw77 View Post
Holy hell I can't believe there are people with SS's running 87 or lower octane! The owners manual calls for premium which is 91 octane. If your running the lower octane you leaving power on the table.

And the RPM's raising after a can of NOS is pretty funny.

I was tuned on 91 octane. It's widely available and without ethanol through Shell. Everyone else, at least in Canada, sells premium with ethanol. So running 94 octane for me is a waste of money and makes no difference at all. To fully utilize higher octane it's all in the tuning.
I agree man. I'm tuned for 93 Octane so that is what I use. I'm not sure what that guy is talking about with his rpms going up after adding octane booster, that stuff may be affecting a sensor causing the rpms to go up.
WoodBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #33
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
I agree man. I'm tuned for 93 Octane so that is what I use. I'm not sure what that guy is talking about with his rpms going up after adding octane booster, that stuff may be affecting a sensor causing the rpms to go up.
Yeah that booster stuff is not the answer for performance. Just does more damage than good.

I've been really thinking about getting tuned for 94. My tuner thinks I could see some decent gains making it worth the few hundred bucks for the dyno time. Plus now I am living at almost sea level and I was tuned when I was living above 3000 feet.

OP run 91 in your stock SS. If your getting tuned make sure you tell the tuner what octane you have in the tank.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:09 AM   #34
StevenBateman

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Yeah that booster stuff is not the answer for performance. Just does more damage than good.

I've been really thinking about getting tuned for 94. My tuner thinks I could see some decent gains making it worth the few hundred bucks for the dyno time. Plus now I am living at almost sea level and I was tuned when I was living above 3000 feet.

OP run 91 in your stock SS. If your getting tuned make sure you tell the tuner what octane you have in the tank.
Haven't checked this thread in a bit. But Yeah, I'm always running 91. In a few weeks I'll have all my bolt ons done and sending the car off to get cam/heads with a dyno tune so I'll probably have them tune it for 94 octane
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

StevenBateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 AM   #35
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBateman View Post
Haven't checked this thread in a bit. But Yeah, I'm always running 91. In a few weeks I'll have all my bolt ons done and sending the car off to get cam/heads with a dyno tune so I'll probably have them tune it for 94 octane
You might want to ask if they keep the low octane tables to allow for crappy fuel or whatever. I've heard some tuners copy the high tables to the lower ones but I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. If they did then the car can only run that one octane fuel map.....

I know my tune can adapt to the lower tables if need be in case of some unforeseen fuel issue.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #36
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
You might want to ask if they keep the low octane tables to allow for crappy fuel or whatever. I've heard some tuners copy the high tables to the lower ones but I don't know if there is any truth to that or not. If they did then the car can only run that one octane fuel map.....

I know my tune can adapt to the lower tables if need be in case of some unforeseen fuel issue.
Not a bad idea. I'm away for work 3 weeks out of the month and home for the other week so that's the only time I drive the car, but still a good idea just in case. Helpful tip!
BTR Stage 4 Cam, FTI 3600 Stall Converter, GM 3.91 Gears, GPI Intake Mod V2, CAI Cold Air Intake, SLP 25% Underdrive Pulley, LS3 Conversion, PRC Ported/Polished Heads, Stainless Power Long Tubes w/off-road pipes, Borla Atak Cat-Back Exhaust, Tru Cool 40K 482rwhp/425rwtq, Built and tuned by Champion Motors

Old 05-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #37
prod

Drives: HHR
Might be a good idea to run 93/94 if you store the car for a long period, or if you get stuck having to top up with 87. Other than that, I dont think there is much benefit unless you have it tuned for the higher octane.
Let us know how the tune goes, and if it can retain the fallback to lower octane. Where are you getting it done?
prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #38
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by prod View Post
Might be a good idea to run 93/94 if you store the car for a long period, or if you get stuck having to top up with 87. Other than that, I dont think there is much benefit unless you have it tuned for the higher octane.
Let us know how the tune goes, and if it can retain the fallback to lower octane. Where are you getting it done?
My local shop here deals a lot with champion motorsports in Scarborough so that's where I'll be going. Unfortunately with work I won't be sending it in until the second week of july.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 PM   #39
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
I was just at champion 2 weeks ago. Great group of guys had probably 30 vetts there. Was getting base numbers.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #40
StevenBateman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
I was just at champion 2 weeks ago. Great group of guys had probably 30 vetts there. Was getting base numbers.
Sweet! It's nice to hear some positive feedback. I can't wait to go

Old 05-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #41
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:

Hmmmm...interesting. I called Esso about 5 years ago, specifically in regards to their Supreme 91, and they said it was Ethanol Free coast to coast! I re-confirmed that as well through other channels.

Thanks to you, I just listed their website, their wording is now mixed, lol. 5 years can be a long time. Time to call them up again!

Not that it makes a difference to me, but I like to be in the know.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 10:56 PM   #42
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcman View Post
If they did then the car can only run that one octane fuel map......
Don't forget, your knock sensors will reel back timing if they sense knock on load, regardless if you are specifically locked on 1 octane table tune or not.

I'm tuned for 94, ran into a stale batch of fuel. Datalog confirmed K.R.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote