Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
ZL1Tracker

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
My First AX with my New 2018 ZL1 1LE

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to look at my post.

Let me give you a little background first...

I was a drag racer for 20 years, then when my wife was pregnant i sold the race cars for a family car.

Well that last about 2 year until i got the itch again to go fast, so I talked with a good friend of mine that raced with Porsche Club of America and had a great time and recommended I buy a 991 GT3, so I did.

Found going out to the track way more fun then drag racing simply because you get more seat time, and your not just going straight.

Owned the GT3 for a year, then traded it in for a 2016 Lava Orange GT3RS and started taking that out to the AX and big tracks roughly 14 times a year for the last couple years.

About 6 month ago my friend that works at the local Chevy dealer told me he had an allocation for a ZL1 1LE and if i was interested in it he would give it to me at MSRP with no markup.

Gave it some thought, then went down to the dealer to put the order together and gave a deposit.

Took 4 month before the car was ready, and to be totally honest, I wasn't even sure if i wanted the car anymore but when I got to the dealer, saw how gorgeous the car looked, and heard the engine I said "yep this car is coming home with me"

So I have owned the car now for roughly 45 days, and I let the car break in the way it was recommended for the first 500 miles.

There has been a couple times (well more then a couple) that I hit the gas on the road and the car went left or right so I started to question how well this car will really do at a track or AX.

So I decided to take it out to an AX to give it a shot, but really was not expecting to much, and was really thinking this car was going to man handle me with all this power, extra weight, bigger car, and poor visibility compared to my GT3RS.

So let me first off say HOLY SH*T was I impressed.

Found out pretty quick that the tires are not to great until they are "Warm", then the car is able to preform to its potential.

Couldn't believe I could get up to 55+MPH in first gear with only a 6500rpm redline (the GT3RS is 8800 redline), and loved how the rev matched was working and how it sounded with even cooler.

Unlike my GT3RS where after the 4th lap the tires start to fade and so do lap times, with the ZL1 1LE the lap times kept getting better after each lap that I was totally getting giddy in the car.

By the end of practice I was 3rd fastest time and keep in mind most of the other cars are Porsche and by drivers that have been doing this a very long time, and this was my first time out with this car ever.

Towards the end I noticed watching the data recorder that my TC was coming on a lot, but then figured out playing with the TC settings that it actually has 6 levels of TC so you can dial it in to your driving style and the track you are at which is just amazing and I did not have a chance to play with that yet but looking forward to it.

Let me also add about visibility which I was really concerned about... I did not hit one cone in my 4 laps during timed sessions which has NEVER happened to me in my GT3RS which has amazing visibility, so I guess I got used to it very quick.

Also want to state that the breaking was just phenomenal, felt like the break pedal had 2 levels of breaking, hard and very hard.

All in all I am very impressed with the total performance of the car, and I can't wait to put some Hoosiers on this car and just dominate the local AX.

At some point I will start taking it out to the big tracks, but for now I will use the GT3RS for the big tracks and take the ZL1 1LE to the AX because I had a blast with it and want to continue getting better with it.

Here are some pics of the cars, along with a video of the AX I did with the Camaro.

Hope you enjoy, and would love to hear your thoughts

P.S. Sorry for the bad music in the video, I find that music helps my nerves and helps me relax during time trials because I get worked up but Pandora was playing some strange tracks that day.

YOUTUBE VIDEO OF MY FIRST AX WITH THE ZL1 1LE:
https://youtu.be/xNdI8ScDFyA
ZL1Tracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #2
Race Car

Drives: 997 2S, 991.2 GT3, ZLE 1LE
Congrats, and welcome from another GT3 owner. There are at least 5 of us here who are current or former GT3 owners. Your RS is a beauty.
Race Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 05:38 AM   #3
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Very nice, and welcome!

"Do you like apples?"
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
Tim202

Where did you do your auto-x at? What sanctioning body put it on? I've only done SCCA and San Diego's next event is Nov 19th. It would be great to see you there. A Street is pretty competitive.

I've done two auto-x with the 1LE and you must have much better throttle control than I. I have nannies on until last lap (usually 4) and the car is still sideways a lot. It's like I turn the wheel (probably too hard) the front just grips and throws the rear around. I am coming from an STI so there might be habits I picked up with that car that don't translate well to RWD high HP cars.
Tim202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #5
misterjaayy

Drives: 2019 CTS-V
I always forget about auto-x at the Q. I may have to check it out after I get my car back from the shop. How is the course? It looked pretty bumpy and uneven.
misterjaayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #6
ZL1Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim202 View Post
Where did you do your auto-x at? What sanctioning body put it on? I've only done SCCA and San Diego's next event is Nov 19th. It would be great to see you there. A Street is pretty competitive.

I've done two auto-x with the 1LE and you must have much better throttle control than I. I have nannies on until last lap (usually 4) and the car is still sideways a lot. It's like I turn the wheel (probably too hard) the front just grips and throws the rear around. I am coming from an STI so there might be habits I picked up with that car that don't translate well to RWD high HP cars.
This was a PCA event (Porsche Club of America), which was held at the west lot at SDCCU Stadium (Qualcomm).

With PCA you NEED to own a Porsche to join, or at least have a friend that is a member and makes you an honorary member.

You also need to do the first 4 AX's with a Porsche or until you get signed off, not the case though for the big tracks.

BMW club also does AX there and you do not have to own a BMW to join.

Going to be at Buttonwillow this weekend, and then Spring Mountain the following so don't think I can make the SCCA event, but you sure on the date, that is a Monday?

On that run I had full nanny's on, wasn't till later i noticed you can have different levels of TC.

Coming from drag racing it did take me a minute to adjust my throttle control because before I was used to just slamming the gas as fast as I could, but in AX or Track racing you can't really do that.

I actually did a lot of practicing with the iRacing game that helped me a lot and with all the different cars they offer, some are super sensitive so those cars can really help with your throttle and steering inputs to be as smooth as can be.

Here is a video of me at Chuckwalla last month in the GT3RS, with a better camera that shows my hands as well, which is also a good idea to get a second camera that you can place in the car that shows your hand movement so you can watch after and correct as needed.

There are also other AX events to go to that are somewhat near by... Do you use motorsportreg.com/
Old 11-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
toronto18zl1

Drives: Cayenne GTS, Tesla SP90D
Wow, a bmw i8, a Porsche gt3rs, and a zl1 1LE, and from that garage door i can tell it must be an amazing house as well.
Life goal.
toronto18zl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Ian SS

Drives: 2016 1SS, 2017 JKU Wrangler
Looks good. That course looked technical, SCCA has put on a few courses with a similar layout, I always have trouble with that downhill hard right in the 2nd half of the course.

If you feel like making the drive up to El Toro you would absolutely kill it on the surface up there.

2018 Ram Rebel 4x4 5.7
Ian SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
ZL1Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto18zl1 View Post
Wow, a bmw i8, a Porsche gt3rs, and a zl1 1LE, and from that garage door i can tell it must be an amazing house as well.
Life goal.
Thank you!

I work hard and play hard.

Did not want to leave the Camaro outside so I had to add a lift in the garage to fit the 3 cars.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
ZL1Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian SS View Post
Looks good. That course looked technical, SCCA has put on a few courses with a similar layout, I always have trouble with that downhill hard right in the 2nd half of the course.

If you feel like making the drive up to El Toro you would absolutely kill it on the surface up there.
You will definitely see me up there soon.

Have a couple friends that already go there in there GT4s and they told me the same.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #11
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
I knew you were going to post up on the Camaro forum sooner rather than later! Time to show everyone how it's done and get some HRE's on this one too
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
ZL1Tracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowForm_Wheels View Post
I knew you were going to post up on the Camaro forum sooner rather than later! Time to show everyone how it's done and get some HRE's on this one too
It is just a matter of time

Going to see Roy at Buttonwillow this weekend and talk to him about it.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
That's great you didn't have any problem with the cones. I've been wanting to do an auto cross but wasn't sure if the car was too big and the beltline too high.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
FlowForm_Wheels

Drives: Turbo 4, SC V8 and Twin Turbo V8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1Tracker View Post
It is just a matter of time

Going to see Roy at Buttonwillow this weekend and talk to him about it.
Haha that works out nicely doesn't it!

Hope it's a good weekend for you then
FlowForm_Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote