Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #1
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
Supercharger & Alky Meth

Who is running a supercharger with alky meth? Since my Whipple is getting installed now, the owner of the shop mentioned it to me and two of my friends who have built cars both said I'm stupid if I don't add alky meth (nice friends, lol). I'm fully aware of the stock fuel system not getting over 600rwhp and I know alky meth will solve this. I wanted to build a dependable weekend driver--something I can just get in and start up and drive. I know that the meth will go in the windshield reservoir & my shop says that they will have the meth go on at 4psi. Am I overthinking this? Should I just do the meth and be done with it? Anyone care to share their experiences with running a supercharger and meth?

Last edited by cooden; 05-02-2017 at 07:09 AM.
cooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
hogwild87

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
just do it! meth and boost is the only combo i'm running on my car and i'm making 720 on a f-1a procharger making 14 lbs
hogwild87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
cooden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwild87 View Post
just do it! meth and boost is the only combo i'm running on my car and i'm making 720 on a f-1a procharger making 14 lbs
So no issues at all? How is driveability?
Old 05-02-2017, 08:04 AM   #4
hogwild87

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooden View Post
drives like stock except at wot thats when you'll notice the difference between boost and boost + meth lol
hogwild87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:28 AM   #5
brettman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooden View Post
I'm interested, What (who's) system do you what to run?
2016 Camaro 1SS, Red Hot, K&N Blackhawk intake, Whipple Supercharger, 3.125 pulley, Kooks 2" long tube headers, High flow cats, secondary cats delete, Mishimoto catch can, P3gauge, Lots of dress-up crap that don't make it go any faster.

Car Journal http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490975

SC build http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492656

Drive, Ride, Fly It Like You Stole It

GO BIG OR GO HOME
brettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
80sMetalDude

Drives: .
There are some HUGE threads on this topic but more in the debate sense... I was interested and went to alky's site and it looks like every setup is very custom to your needs and they wont even sell you a kit without talking on the phone first.

I was wondering if there are better alternatives to the whole giving up the wiper fluid tank or trunk space?

From what I read the reason the wiper tank is so good is that the low warning is already built in for you which is a critical component going with Meth so I get that but aren't there other ways to do this and still have your wipers LOL?

Maybe considering this next year myself.
80sMetalDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
lcarney1977

Drives: 2016 CAMARO SS
i was running meth in my 5th gen and i did the trunk kit and had the low running light installed rite in my vent.... im procharged now on my 6th gen and thinking about adding meth but dont know if i want meth again on my daily im making 565 now but if go higher i need to do meth..... not sure if i will lol..
lcarney1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
mild2wild

Drives: 2017 1LE
It seems like meth is a good band-aid for the stock fuel system. That being said, it also seems that the LT4 in-tank pump is a better way to go. Having visited the guys at NEP, I got the impression they like to try and up-sell.
mild2wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #9
DevBlackSS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Im too chicken to run meth. When I go to down to a lower pulley, ill be using the LT4 parts and a FI cam. I think 600whp is perfect for a DD.
Old 05-02-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
mild2wild

Not to mention the torque: even on the base pulley you're in need of more traction. Make 700ft/lbs and with the tires to put it down the car now needs new half shafts, etc...
Old 05-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #11
cooden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild2wild View Post
It seems like meth is a good band-aid for the stock fuel system. That being said, it also seems that the LT4 in-tank pump is a better way to go. Having visited the guys at NEP, I got the impression they like to try and up-sell.
You talking New Era Performance in Rochester, NY right? Mike isn't up-selling anything--he will do whatever you want. But if you ask him for an opinion, he is going to tell you exactly what he would do. He runs meth in his daily driver, which is an ATS-V pushing 600rwhp. I just picked up my Camaro SS from him today after he installed the Whipple.

I just think that it comes down to personal preference--but from all the reading and research I can do, it seems that if you are running a supercharger, the meth injection has better results.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:22 PM   #12
cooden

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettman View Post
I'm interested, What (who's) system do you what to run?
Brett, if I do meth injection, I'm going to do Alky Meth.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:51 PM   #13
mild2wild

yes I'm talking about that NEP. I'm not going to get ugly online badmouthing a shop, but there's lots of folks that aren't all rosey about experiences there.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:31 AM   #14
cooden

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild2wild View Post
yes I'm talking about that NEP. I'm not going to get ugly online badmouthing a shop, but there's lots of folks that aren't all rosey about experiences there.
If there are real issues, people should state what they are. I personally know a lot of people who have had their vehicles worked on by them and have been very happy with the results. Could there always be that unhappy customer where an issue happened? Absolutely.

Back to meth injection--I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to do it. I might just add a set of headers with high flow cats and call it a day. The car makes a ton of power--and in NY, where the hell am I going with more power? Cuomo will probably start taxing cars based on horsepower soon enough........