Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2021, 02:08 PM   #43
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
Unfortunately this may be the case. Without a vin or plate, it will be next to impossible. Maybe bring up that "old camaro" in a conversation. See if she has a pictures of it, who knows, she may have something.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:56 PM   #44
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
So after reading this I did a little research into finding my old '67 Vert VIN here in MI. The MI Sec of State has a FOIA request email for inquiries, so I sent an email off. I got an email back that appeared to say that I could file a FOIA request and for $11 get the info. I filled out the PDF they attached to the email and sent it in with an $11 check. Two (of many) options that I thought would get me there were:
1) Title history on selected dates, but you had to know the VIN
2) Registration history on selected dates, using a plate # or handicap tag #.

I was able to provide a 1979 plate # that they would show in their records belonged to me.

There was also a space to explain in your own words what you were looking for and why. I said I just wanted to get the VIN to see if the car may still exist and possibly find it on the open market. I specifically stated I was not asking for the current owner info, just the VIN.

I got a call from them today and they said I was not eligible to receive that info and they were going to refund my $11. Oh well, I just never should have sold the car!
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #45
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP2SS View Post
So after reading this I did a little research into finding my old '67 Vert VIN here in MI. The MI Sec of State has a FOIA request email for inquiries, so I sent an email off. I got an email back that appeared to say that I could file a FOIA request and for $11 get the info. I filled out the PDF they attached to the email and sent it in with an $11 check. Two (of many) options that I thought would get me there were:
1) Title history on selected dates, but you had to know the VIN
2) Registration history on selected dates, using a plate # or handicap tag #.

I was able to provide a 1979 plate # that they would show in their records belonged to me.

There was also a space to explain in your own words what you were looking for and why. I said I just wanted to get the VIN to see if the car may still exist and possibly find it on the open market. I specifically stated I was not asking for the current owner info, just the VIN.

I got a call from them today and they said I was not eligible to receive that info and they were going to refund my $11. Oh well, I just never should have sold the car!
I wonder if you could have requested a copy of the registration form... Seems they deem the VIN to be 'private info' of some sort and exempt from any sort of handling under FOIA... How about a property tax bill from the town/city you lived in at the time?
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:48 PM   #46
EJR8402

Drives: 2019 Red Hot 1SS "Scarlett"
Gonna be extremely difficult without a VIN.

You might see if the original dealer has those records. If you are able to track down a VIN, a private investigator can get the owner's information from a state DMV to track down who owns title to the car, if the car still exists. At that point, the PI could contact the individual and ask if it is alright for them to give the owner's contact information to you. Note: The DMV can't give you that information directly because it would be a violation of federal law.

I found my grandfather's 1959 Thunderbird this way.

If you think it might have stayed in your state, and you can get a VIN, then you might have a shot.
EJR8402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:48 PM   #47
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
Gonna be extremely difficult without a VIN.

You might see if the original dealer has those records. If you are able to track down a VIN, a private investigator can get the owner's information from a state DMV to track down who owns title to the car, if the car still exists. At that point, the PI could contact the individual and ask if it is alright for them to give the owner's contact information to you. Note: The DMV can't give you that information directly because it would be a violation of federal law.

I found my grandfather's 1959 Thunderbird this way.

If you think it might have stayed in your state, and you can get a VIN, then you might have a shot.
Not really necessary... A Carfax report will give you a TON of info about where the car is registered and potentially even being serviced. A quick phone call to the last listed selling dealer (or servicing dealer) could result in being able to get linked up with the current owner. And you won't have to mortgage your house to hire a PI.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #48
HouseStark

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
I appreciate everyone's input. I think I've hit a wall though no way to find a VIN and can't find any pictures for plates to give to the BMV. Still can't believe their history is so limited. Oh well thanks anyways everyone.
HouseStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 11:13 AM   #49
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseStark View Post
I appreciate everyone's input. I think I've hit a wall though no way to find a VIN and can't find any pictures for plates to give to the BMV. Still can't believe their history is so limited. Oh well thanks anyways everyone.
What about loan paperwork? If it was financed, maybe they still have records?
Old 03-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #50
EJR8402

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
Not really necessary... A Carfax report will give you a TON of info about where the car is registered and potentially even being serviced. A quick phone call to the last listed selling dealer (or servicing dealer) could result in being able to get linked up with the current owner. And you won't have to mortgage your house to hire a PI.
No mortgage necessary - I paid this guy less than $100 and it took him about half an hour to get the information I needed.

The issue with the dealer is going to be the same as the DMV- it's either unlawful or a violation of privacy to give out an owner's information. That's where the PI comes in handy- they act as an intermediary to get the individual's consent so you can contact them. Maybe a dealer would do that for you, but where's their incentive? And if the last seller was a private owner, the dealer is not necessarily going to be able to direct you to the current owner. The DMV KNOWS who owns the car.

To OP: sorry you've seemingly hit a dead end. Don't give up though- who knows, maybe a piece of old paperwork in the back of a drawer somewhere has the information on it that you need..
Old 03-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #51
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJR8402 View Post
No mortgage necessary - I paid this guy less than $100 and it took him about half an hour to get the information I needed.

The issue with the dealer is going to be the same as the DMV- it's either unlawful or a violation of privacy to give out an owner's information. That's where the PI comes in handy- they act as an intermediary to get the individual's consent so you can contact them. Maybe a dealer would do that for you, but where's their incentive?
You don't need the dealer to give you the owner's information... The VIN gets you everything you need from Carfax, and the dealer that sold the car could place a call to the buyer and provide your info to them and ask that they reach out to you.

As far as incentive, a $25 Visa gift card goes a long way.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #52
EJR8402

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
You don't need the dealer to give you the owner's information... The VIN gets you everything you need from Carfax, and the dealer that sold the car could place a call to the buyer and provide your info to them and ask that they reach out to you.

As far as incentive, a $25 Visa gift card goes a long way.
Look- I'm just letting OP know what method I used to find a very specific classic car. I was successful in this. Can you say the same?

Carfax is a no-go for pre-1981 VINs. I know, I tried - it needs 17 digits. I tried a lot of different vehicle information searches and most of them did not work with a pre-1981 VIN. Will Carfax work to find your 2018 SS you sold a couple years ago? Sure, I bet. A pre-1981 is a different story.

For my particular car, the only report I was able to find that even gave me ANY info for a pre-1981 VIN was NMVTIS. Even then, it only gave me enough information to know that the vehicle was recently registered in a particular state. No dealer information (there wouldn't have been any regardless, the car has been in private hands.) That was enough to know that the DMV in that state should have the info I needed.

If there are any Carfax-type services out there that give more specific information about cars with pre-1981 VINs, I'd like to see them. I doubt it.

OP: if you find your VIN, the method I gave you is a good, direct route to finding the car. Using this method I found a specific classic car halfway across the country, after 18 years of not hearing a thing about it, using only a VIN. Good luck.