Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-04-2021, 12:11 PM   #43
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post

Regarding better grip for acceleration, I beg to differ on this one. Magazine times are basically identical for the SS and SS 1LE and in my experience at the drag strip, the SS 1LE cars are not putting down better 60' or 1/4 mile times than my stock SS. Last time I checked the fast list, I don't recall any stock SS 1LEs running faster than my 12.2 on original tires - that may have changed.

Regarding outright grip on the street, I think it depends on the ambient temps and road conditions. See feedback from "forum member #1" above. On my test drive in 60F weather, I'd say it was pretty hard to tell much difference in capability between the two cars on back roads. Had my test drive been in hotter weather or on better roads, maybe the 1LE benefits would have been more obvious.
I can't speak to a drag strip, I don't drag race, and if I did, 1LE would NOT be the car I would choose, that would go the LT1 trim (different discussion). 1LE is not for drag racing by any means.

On the street, agreed, temps and all not withstanding, I found the 1LE to have less wheel slip and spin than the SS on stock tires (again, I drove 3 different SS cars, 1SS and 2SS trim both in the mix).

Cooler, 1LE will have issues, and not rain friendly. However, this is a pleasure car for me, track days, fun mountain runs and a few road trips, which this car has been superb for!

SS is certainly very capable, but 1LE is a very different experience, at least for me and what I want to do with it.
If I need something more suitable (where the SS would be the better choice), well, I have other cars for that already.

As I said, it is all based on what you want it for, what you will do with it and your own personal opinion based on first hand experience.

Thread like this, will get dozens of opinions, usually boiling down to biased personal opinions (mine included!).

Only you can make the right choice for you. Nobody can argue that point.
Nothing like an SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #44
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
the tires is the biggest difference once you put oem goodyear on a 1ss its not too far off i am a heavily modified 1ss but im not the best driver on track and alot of the time im just as fast or faster than most 1le guys
Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 PM   #45
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
So I have a convertible 1SS and added 295-30-19 tires square on 10.5" Apex wheels. That one change made a significant difference in the grip and feel of the car. I now have the GMPP lowering kit on order and will add that to get closer to a 1LE suspension. Granted the TC isn't optimized for the grip, the old school LSD isn't as good, and maybe the biggest improvement in the car hasn't been mentioned - the 1LE Recaro seats! I even thought about adding those to my vert, but looks like it would eat $5K which is just too much $ for seats - IMHO.

So to answer the question - I think the 1LE package is a no-brainer bargain for the $7500 and I would only get a 1LE if I was buying a coupe. Now - if you already have a SS is upgrading to a 1LE worth it? That's where it gets iffy. For me it would be a $15K upgrade over my convertible. And I rather like the convertible too. I no longer go to the track regularly, but I did for years and years and raced with NASA for awhile in the CMC series. So I would be able to appreciate the 1LE and would occasionally take it to the track if I got one.

I do think it's the best looking 6th gen out there - other than the ZL1 I guess. But I really don't need 650hp. 455 is plenty and matches the chassis very well. I have two other 500hp+ cars anyway.
If you're looking for Recaro's, check the member classifieds. ZL1_2017 has a complete set for sale. He's in LA. Not sure where you are, but for what he's asking it maybe worth a road trip. He's a legit seller, I bought some calipers and rotors from him. I'd get the seats too if I wasn't on the opposite coast
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #46
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
A bit more than "hardly" noticeable. Not disagreeing with the statement in general, but to mention as if it is such a slight difference, no, it is not.

Very noticeable and well worth 7K IMO. But, IMO, this is all about choice and opinion. I would make the same choice again in a heartbeat!
If you’re not tracking the car, you’re paying $7k for cosmetics, LOL. You certainly arent getting any more power, just weight.
Would be a a total waste for me. Just happy I’m driving my SS beast for less than people pay for a loaded Accord and not $40k>.

Last edited by Staves; 01-04-2021 at 01:37 PM.
Staves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:15 PM   #47
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
!le for me was that I wanted the wheels and tires which I could have done separately but I didn't really care about MRC, NPP, and the rest of it but YOLO. I do firmly believe the 1LE has handling the SS doesn't have but where I run I doubt that I've really crossed the line from what I have in the 1LE or could have in the SS.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #48
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
Ok,

Welcome!

If you are not tracking, the SS will be more than enough to safely traverse any roads at a speed that will not kill you or others on the road.

If you need a 1LE you are going way too fast.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:22 PM   #49
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staves View Post
If you’re not tracking the car, you’re paying $7k for cosmetics, LOL. You certainly are getting any more power, just weight.
Would be a a total waste for me. Just happy I’m driving my SS beast for less than people pay for a loaded Accord and not $40k>.

Agreed, but I am planning on tracking and other occasional recreational use, so 1LE. I don't just drive it like an Accord, as stated, I have OTHER cars for other uses.

Everyone isn't paying for "cosmetics". Pretty general statement to make concerning other people's choices and how THEY spend THEIR money.

1LE is strictly a recreational toy and MY CHOICE, for me.
None of this helps the OP, to which the right answer is what is right for him, not what the rest of us think.

I could just say go all in and get the ZL1 1LE (I considered that too!) but nobody can choose for anyone else.
Old 01-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #50
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
suspension big brakes seats you can all add but ptm modes and elsd is something you will never get also pdr is something to think about...
Old 01-04-2021, 01:33 PM   #51
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
For public roads including carving backroads and twisties, you very likely won't notice much if any difference. Also SS 1LE tires probably grip worse in cool and/or wet conditions compared to the tires on a regular SS and should not be driven below 40°F to prevent possible tread cracking.

On a track you would notice and appreciate the upgrades of the 1LE package though. Also the SS 1LE may hold its value better than a regular 1SS (as evidenced by the high used SS 1LE prices you are seeing now) which may be something to consider even if you never plan to drive it on a road course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
The vast majority of 1LE owners will say it's a lot better, just like almost all ZL1 owners say their cars are much more than a 2SS+supercharger. The exact amount of confirmation bias is very difficult to peel off and this applies to everyone, yours truly included.
For context I rented 2 different Camaro SSes before buying my SS 1LE and another one after while on vacation in CA. They felt smoother than the SS 1LE for normal driving over bumps and unevenness in the road but were still extremely capable in the corners. 2 were in the Los Angeles area driven very spiritedly on empty canyon roads and one was local which I took to an autocross event so I would know.

Quote:
Except that $7500 gets you hardly any better performance besides better handling on an already great handling car. And on the street, will hardly be noticeable.
OP may prefer the Recaro seats since they are more comfortable IMO and hold you in place much better during backroads driving (and they already have the seat cooling fan hardware on the 1SS 1LE that can be enabled with the $150 Gen5DIY harness) and magnetic ride adjustability for back roads and 1LE wheels (which are also forged so probably lighter and less likely to get bent) but yes most of the other stuff would not be appreciated much in daily driving so maybe hard to justify the 1LE package cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYblack1le View Post
1le is a performance bargain. Best $7500 you can spend. Recaros,npp,ediff,mag ride,lt4 in tank pump,big brakes...... the list goes on.
Agreed for those planning to track the car.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 01-04-2021 at 02:55 PM.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #52
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Most don't come close to using the capability of the SS as is. The only thing it really needs is better tires. The brakes and suspension capability is far above what I believe most would consider normal driving enthusiasm. My SS is a 135+ mph car in the 1/4. Still stock suspension and brakes minus carbon ceramic pads. I have entered corners hot (80-90mph) after making a wot pull and had no trouble making the turn. That is with a 555r2 drag radial on the rear. Nothing about this car makes me tense or uneasy. It still handles the extra 250+ HP I have added in spades. Imo the 6th gen SS is built well above the power it makes in stock form. The 1LE is a better looking car and it has the best looking wheels of the 6th gen platform. That is why it many buy it...a small fraction of 1lE owners actually use them for their intended purpose.
100% agreed...

My 1SS handling was more than I realistically could use on the street, and I push pretty hard, when the opportunity arises / no one else at risk.

The ZL1 handling is borderline ridiculous for the street, even in convertible form. But it is fun for those very, very rare occasions I can “play”.

With that said, I believe the 1SS1LE better balanced than both of the aforementioned. Nice looking cars (my favorite), but the overwhelming capability and complexity just seems like a bit of a waste for just street use.

If I were to do it over again, it would be a 1SS with upgraded wheels and tires.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #53
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
If you're looking for Recaro's, check the member classifieds. ZL1_2017 has a complete set for sale. He's in LA. Not sure where you are, but for what he's asking it maybe worth a road trip. He's a legit seller, I bought some calipers and rotors from him. I'd get the seats too if I wasn't on the opposite coast
northern CA - I will check those out! thanks,
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #54
Staves

Quote:
Agreed, but I am planning on tracking and other occasional recreational use, so 1LE. I don't just drive it like an Accord, as stated, I have OTHER cars for other uses.
Umm.....I mentioned price of an Accord.

Quote:
Everyone isn't paying for "cosmetics". Pretty general statement to make concerning other people's choices and how THEY spend THEIR money.
If you only drive your 1LE on the streets, what are your $7K benefits getting you? Recaros?

If you don't track your car and $7K is worth it to you for looks, recaros....it's your $.
Old 01-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #55
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Quote:
Umm.....I mentioned price of an Accord.

If you only drive your 1LE on the streets, what are your $7K benefits getting you? Recaros?

If you don't track your car and $7K is worth it to you for looks, recaros....it's your $.
I DO AND WILL BE TRACKING MY CAR IN THE FUTURE! Reading comprehension issue much? This was stated a couple of times by me, it is FOR racing and other pleasure, not a daily, I purchased it for it's purpose not pretty wheels and seats.

The BENEFIT is using the car as I PLEASE.

The OP needs to buy based on what they want and how they wish to use it, and how they wish to spend their hard earned cash.

Again, I considered the ZLI 1LE but that was too hard core for me. Again, all personal opinion, we all have them ya know. That's why we make our own choices, isn't America great?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #56
Staves

Quote:
I DO AND WILL BE TRACKING MY CAR IN THE FUTURE! Reading comprehension issue much? This was stated a couple of times by me, it is FOR racing and other pleasure, not a daily, I purchased it for it's purpose not pretty wheels and seats.

The BENEFIT is using the car as I PLEASE.

The OP needs to buy based on what they want and how they wish to use it, and how they wish to spend their hard earned cash.

Again, I considered the ZLI 1LE but that was too hard core for me. Again, all personal opinion, we all have them ya know. That's why we make our own choices, isn't America great?

Quote:
The car will most likely never see a track or drag strip,
The OP isn't tracking his car. Not sure how you haven't figured that out yet.