Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Dysan911

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS
Anyone consider Jumping ship: Centri to PD?

I'm currently running the Procharger P1 and kinda thinking what it would be like to jump ship to the PD side.

My level of knowledge with either wasn't the best when I first started out but I have to say thanks to this site and all the folks here I have picked up quite a bit more knowledge on both. I can't say that I wouldn't consider a PD blower if I had to do it all over again knowing what I know now.

Not that it's too late either. Im sure if I went that route I could easily sell the P1 setup I have and hopefully for as little difference get into something like the ADM Performance package.

Curious to hear what your thoughts and experiences are. Maybe you've had one or both at one point. Which did you like better, etc. Pro's and Con's.

or would this be a crazy idea.

Thanks guys!
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Dysan911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
not a crazy idea at all! dont' really know to many people that has jumped that way. I know Hennessey etc. has went from PD to (ZL1) Centri. Then again I am biased to PD blowers..
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Can't say too much about the Centri, but I messed around with turbo vehicles for the last 30yrs. Four to be exact, including a turbocharged motorcycle. Turbos and Centris both have that continuous build up of power when you put your foot into it. While the PD snaps the torque in place as soon as your "request" the bypass valve shut.

This is my first PD and for an all around driving experience, I think I made the right decision. Couldn't see me going back to a centri or turbo at his time. The seamless power acts like just a big 9 liter NA motor on the street. My Edelbrock has a flat torque curve and now produces 550 ft. lbs. at 2250 rpms. For daily driving, torque is king. As a side benefit, the Edelbrock is quite and stealthy, which I prefer.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Lethal Camaro just swapped from a P1 to a Whipple. He was having cooling issues with the P1 because he was pretty much overdriving it for his power levels imo. I believe he said the Whipple is more noticeable in the low to mid range power and part throttle driving. So you get to feel the power under more driving conditions, where the Procharger you will only notice the power increase when going WOT for the most part. Many folks tend to only focus on peak power when that is only a small percentage of the overall driving experience with a street car. Power under the curve is where it's at and PD superchargers excel in this area.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:01 AM   #5
Charlie540i

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I went from a PD to a centri in my Camaro, mostly because of hight IAT temps. I have more cubes and also live in the scorching humid heat of the caribbean which didn't help much. When I was unable to have them in check, we moved to a centri and now car is faster with same boost level and without the need of meth injection to help with the IATs.

Having said that, my 2003 Cobra has a large PD that I'll not remove for anything in the world!

Last, when my car had stock cubes and lower boost levels the PD on the Camaro worked flawlessly! This boils down to personal preference and vehicle goals.
Charlie540i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
Eyefixstuff

Drives: 16’ 2SS A8 HBM Procharged
Running just a P1SC right now with race IC, and my buddy has the same car with a Maggie in it. They’re both very fun to drive. I still like the power curve of the procharger more, and comparing our IAT’s with HPtuners, mine is always lower. Sometimes by a pretty decent amount. That said you can’t go wrong either way, but personally I wouldn’t switch now. Depending on what your goals are, procharger just has so many upgrade options, and from the research I’ve done, people don’t get the heat soak with these like they do with PD’s on these particular cars. But you’re going to get some biased opinions asking here because people typically stand by whatever they have lol.

Now switching to a turbo setup.... that may be worth thinking about if money isn’t an issue.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
Dysan911

Thanks everyone for the opinions, suggestions and info. Really cool to hear about the experiences with both sides. I do have to say I know the heat soak would be a concern of mine. The Stage2 IC on my P1 runs about 10 degrees over ambient just casual driving and I've seen it as high as 144 on a WOT pull on a 90 degree day. Likely one of the definite benefits of the Centri for sure.
Former Ride: 17 Camaro 2SS, M6 - Fifty | Procharger P1SC | 3.7 Pulley | Stage 2 IC | Race Bypass | DSX FF Kit | JRE Custom E85 Flex Fuel Tune | LT4 Fuel System | JMS Voltage Booster | MSD Plug Wires | American Racing 1-7/8's LT Headers Full System Catback | Baro Breakout Harness | LT4 Map Sensor | Katech Ported TB | MMS Oil Catch Can | 160 Thermo | Solo Performance J-Pipes

Old 05-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #8
chrest

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
funny that this was posted, been debating this heavily lately.

Kinda considering trading my car in on a zl1 even... i am all sorts of torn right now.
603hp/547tq
chrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 01:23 PM   #9
ProCharger

Drives: Many C7's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie540i View Post
I went from a PD to a centri in my Camaro, mostly because of hight IAT temps. I have more cubes and also live in the scorching humid heat of the caribbean which didn't help much. When I was unable to have them in check, we moved to a centri and now car is faster with same boost level and without the need of meth injection to help with the IATs.
Thanks for sharing that info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyefixstuff View Post
Running just a P1SC right now with race IC, and my buddy has the same car with a Maggie in it. They’re both very fun to drive. I still like the power curve of the procharger more, and comparing our IAT’s with HPtuners, mine is always lower. Sometimes by a pretty decent amount. That said you can’t go wrong either way, but personally I wouldn’t switch now.
Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrest View Post
i am all sorts of torn right now.
P1X...... bang for the buck awesome!
ProCharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
Drsagacity

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Nightfall Gray vert
I made the switch from centri on my last couple rides to PD on this one. I don’t think you can go wrong either way. If I had started one path, I would definitely not change unless you hadn’t made other supporting mods (like a big stall converter) and if you simply outgrew your current setup (like Lethal and his setup).

To me the most important factor is deciding which path you are going to take and then making sure your mods match up...having a good tuner that is comfortable with your choice and can support...huge.

If I were down the path with one, I don’t think I would make a change unless you have a definite goal that is answered.

PD blowers you could consider: LT4 ZL1 blower, Magnuson, Whipple and Edelbrock (sorry Ed).
Centri: several choices although I am biased toward Procharger. (My Vortech sucked compared to the D1)
Twin Turbo - could be a fun option and will have similar lag that you are used to (in fact, unless you drove a PD unlikely you would even consider the response a “lag”). My daily driver is a twin turbo...

Have fun and can’t wait to see your updates.

2018 Corvette Z06 vert- Black
To be tuned by JRE Racing
TBD performance

Last edited by Drsagacity; 05-22-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Drsagacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Dysan911

I thought about maybe even upgrading headunits. Is the P1 and D1 a direct swap or I wonder if it requires other items.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:37 PM   #12
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drsagacity View Post

....PD blowers you could consider: LT4 ZL1 blower, Magnuson, Whipple...
And Edelbrock.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #13
oneredry
HYPER SS

Drives: 2016 Supercharged 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
I thought about maybe even upgrading headunits. Is the P1 and D1 a direct swap or I wonder if it requires other items.

Fuel, I'm sure.
3400 status 03/07/16 TPW of 03/14/16
4200 status 03/17/16 in transit!
Delivered 03/23/16
2SS Hyper Blue | 6M | NPP | Mag ride | ceramic white Int. | Black out bow ties | P3 Gauge| Front splitter. | 6 pot upgraded brembo brakes. | Magnuson Supercharger/95MM pulley | Rotofab Intake | ZL1 side skirts | HRE FF04 wheels - Michelin PSS4 | ZL1 add ons rock guards and lift points.
| AWE touring - resinated catback with link pipes.
oneredry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
This is exactly what I don't want to be doing...second guessing. Not saying the OP is...just saying (it already took me forever to pull the trigger). We all pretty much know the difference between the two. I too went through this dilemma. I went with the Procharger because.....

1. I did a lot of research too. One thing I didn't find is regrets. There was literally no one complaining about the Procharger...everyone loved it. That being said, no one complained about the PD either. Win Win either way.

So it boiled down to..do I want all the low end torque of the PD? Which research told me that..

1. Too easy to break the tires loose from a dig. Which I'm sure can be managed with the right foot. But still...it's true.
2. Much harder on the drive train.
3. You will have to drive differently than you do now. Big time
4. But still, neck breaking torque is fun too.

I really only want the extra power when I want extra power as I feel the SS has a lot of torque already. The Procharger gives me that.

All that being said..I wish I could've driven both before deciding. I'll let y'all know if I hate my Procharger. Install is only 2 weeks out now.