Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 02-09-2016, 11:06 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Introducing the 2017 Camaro 1LE: Welcome to 1LE-World! (updated w/ videos)

We hope you enjoy the news below! If you do, please...
LIKE our new FB page @ https://www.facebook.com/camaro6com/

Welcome to 1LE-World!

The Camaro raises it’s own bar. That’s what designer Adam Barry had to say about the new 2017 1LE variants of the sixth-generation Camaro, “The 5th generation car was great, but we can’t rest on our laurels and wait for someone else to raise the bar, we need to do that ourselves.”

I admit, I was genuinely surprised with what I saw, and that doesn’t happen very often. Chevrolet granted a sneak peek of the Camaro 1LE, and I was reminded of an Oprah Winfrey show, where she gave stuff away to her viewers. “You can have one. And you can have one. You ALL can have one! Yay!”

Alright, enough hooks and teasers. Here’s the big news The Camaro 1LE is back – in two very big ways: First of all – you can now order one in V6 form. (No, the engine size was not a typo) And secondly: the SS version of the outstanding track package for the Camaro includes A LOT more equipment than before.

The first thing you noticed when they pulled the satin-blue car covers off the Camaros was the vibrant green color of the LT model. It’s nice…it’s not a metallic green like Synergy was, but it is very eye-catching nonetheless. Just, please note that this is not yet a production model for Camaro…but stay tuned (and voice your opinion!) Also, the green car photographed features the black tail lamps, and a cool hood decal. These are optional, and not included with the package.

The second thing that caught my eye was the Mammoth-wide tires on the SS version. Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar G2 tires make a return, starring role to the 1LE package. And this time, team Camaro says the tires are specifically developed for Camaro, with a revised construction and compound. The number one goal for these cars (and one can’t help but imagine “others” as well…) is grip. Wonderful, face-tugging, road-hugging grip. The tread pattern is completely different than the tire we all either love or hate, and I’m not tire engineer, but it appears as though rain performance was thought of in the design, because there are wide longitudinal tread gaps, more like a Pilot Sport Cup versus Goodyear’s “signature” diagonal water-channels, that don’t always work…

Let’s start with the V6 version, first. You can order this track goodie-bag on either a 1LT, or a 2LT, but it's only packaged with the V6 engine. The LT/1LE approach to performance shares the most in common with the outgoing 1LE. It features an FE3-tuned suspension with components from the Camaro SS; including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars. The engine remains untouched, but the package does add all the necessary track coolers, brakes (Brembo 4-piston up front), and fuel system components to perform track duty. It puts power down through a short-throw manual transmission (manual-only) to a mechanical limited slip diff, utilizing a 3.27 axle ratio.

On the inside, the car features optional Recaro racing seats (with a revised design and bolstering to help with shifting versus last generation). The seats come in black leather with microfiber suede seating surfaces, and mimic the look of the standard seats’ inserts. A performance data recorder is optional. On the outside, the car is distinguished by a flat black hood, and black side mirrors (the 1LE signature look); and also a functional aero package including the accessories blade spoiler, and splitter in black, and a revised front fascia with a “DRL delete”, and unique grille. It rolls on forged aluminum 20” wheels (they’re they lightweight, forged accessory wheels for the SS, but in black). It looks menacing, and if I wasn’t an enthusiast, I’d never be able to distinguish that it “wasn’t a V8”…not that it matters anymore, Al Oppenheiser says this car will put up track times comparable to the last-generation SS!

Speaking of SSs….let’s talk about this new SS 1LE. The 1LE package originally debuted in 1989, as a road-racing package to help the Camaro become more competitive. And it wasn’t largely advertised or known; only 111 cars were built this way that year. In 2013, the 1LE package was a shock to the segment: It offered ridiculous amounts of track performance for not-at-all ridiculous amounts of money. The car features unique fuel pickups, wheels, tires, revised suspension components down to the bushings, the transmission out of the Z cars, and a differential ratio from the Z/28. And at a price starting at $37,000, it was so good a deal; it was compared favorably in performance with the Mustang Boss Laguna Seca which priced out at $50,000. Nobody could believe what team Camaro was offering. You couldn’t even get the wheels and tires alone for the price they were selling the package.

Chief Engineer Alo Oppenheiser says, “The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate. Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher down force, more powerful brakes and more cooling. The result delivers better performance in all measures.”

The last generation 1LE set the budget-performance bar…the bar, that Camaro raises itself. The new SS 1LE was designed and engineered from the get-go to be an outstanding performer, all it’s own – and that’s part of the reason they’re releasing it prior to any other models that may or may not exist. The car features the following; all standard equipment…no substitutions…and only available on a 1SS, manual transmission: revised, stiffer FE4 suspension with Magnetic Ride Control, electrionic limited slip differential, unique forged aluminum wheels in a graphite metallic color wearing those oh-so-sticky Goodyear’s mentioned earlier (285mm wide up front, and 305 mm wide in the back), Six-piston, monobloc front calipers in red (with the “1LE” logo proudly emblazoned on them) up front squeezing 14.6” two-piece rotors, red four piston brakes in the back, dual mode NPP exhaust, Recaro racing seats, suede-wrapped steering wheel and shifter, matte black hood and side-mirrors, HUD, leather rear seats metallic graphite front splitter, rear diffuser, and rear blade spoiler. The performance data recorder is optional.

How’s that for a laundry list of go-fast goodies? They say the SS 1LE laps the big willow course of Willow Springs a full three seconds faster than the standard SS. The Camaro folks have not released pricing information, yet. But they maintain that the 1LE package has and will remain a bargain in the segment for track performance. It is “track capable” from the showroom, unlike certain competitors, and the car will go on sale in late 2016, with orders like being placed in the summer.

Look out, GT350……(especially if you don’t have the track package selected!)

Ladies and Gentlemen…it is truly a GREAT time to be Camaro enthusiasts.

What do you think of the new 1LE offerings? Leave your comments below, as I’m always reminded, the Camaro team may not post…but they’re always reading.

Videos:

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-001.jpg
Views: 42344
Size:  374.6 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-002.jpg
Views: 41462
Size:  389.4 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-003.jpg
Views: 40957
Size:  550.9 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-004.jpg
Views: 42570
Size:  557.7 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-005.jpg
Views: 39575
Size:  472.3 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-006.jpg
Views: 42711
Size:  300.6 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-007.jpg
Views: 39684
Size:  299.4 KB

Name:  2017-Chevrolet-Camaro-1LE-008.jpg
Views: 45914
Size:  257.7 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Release
New 1LE Packages Elevates Camaro Track Capabilities
Track package returns with more technology for V8 models, first time offered on V6

CHICAGO – The Chevrolet Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2017, poised to set new benchmarks for attainable track performance.

The package builds off the success of the previous-generation 1LE, offering increased handling and track performance. In response to customer demand, Chevrolet will offer two distinct 1LE packages, for both V6 and V8 models, each visually distinguished with a satin black hood, specific wheels and more.

For the first time, the 1LE package will be available on Camaro 1LT or 2LT coupes equipped with the 3.6L V6. Featuring more aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, the LT 1LE delivers an estimated 0.97G in cornering grip. Available Recaro seats will keep you planted through the corners, and an available Performance Data Recorder will allow you to view and share your track experience.

The new 1LE package for Camaro 1SS models includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD). Paired with massive Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, lateral acceleration will exceed 1G. Additional features available on the 1LE package include standard Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR), new to the Camaro lineup.

As a result, the 1LE package elevates the award-winning performance that earned Camaro the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards.

“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling.

“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.”

The new 1LE packages are available in late 2016, on 2017 Camaro SS and LT V-6 coupes equipped with manual transmissions. Pricing and performance data will be announced at a later date.

Camaro LT 1LE
The Camaro LT 1LE was developed to be the most track-capable sports coupe in its price class. Highlights include:
• 3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
• FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
• Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
• Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
• Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
• Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
• Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
• Standard dual mode exhaust system
• Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
• Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
• Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
• Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.

“With a curb weight under 3,500 pounds, excellent front-to-rear weight balance and the precision of the FE3 suspension, the Camaro LT 1LE offers unmatched capability in its class,” said Oppenheiser. “As a result, it offers incredible performance for Camaro V-6 customers.”

Camaro SS 1LE
The 2017 Camaro SS 1LE introduces the new FE4 suspension to the Gen Six Camaro – a performance-oriented chassis system with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars. Additional highlights include:
• 6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
• Magnetic Ride Control
• Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
• Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
• Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
• Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
• Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
• Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
• Dual mode exhaust system
• Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
• Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
• Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
• Available PDR video/data recording system.

FAST FACT: The 1LE package was developed in 1988 to make the Camaro more competitive in Showroom Stock road racing series and officially debuted in 1989. Four examples were reportedly built in 1988; with 111 built in 1989. The 1LE package was also featured on fourth-gen vehicles through the 1999 model year, returning to the fifth-gen Camaro in 2013.

Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 115 countries and selling around 4.8 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature engaging performance, design that makes the heart beat, passive and active safety features and easy-to-use technology, all at a value. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.

# # #

Monte Doran
Chevrolet Communications
313-348-2317
monte.doran@chevrolet.com
We hope you enjoyed the news above! If you do, please...
LIKE our new FB page @ https://www.facebook.com/camaro6com/
Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #2
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
FIRST!!!

Hot damn! Those wheels!

No mention of price?!

V6 option is odd...

When can I order?!
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #3

Drives: I have a bike.
Nice!
233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
If MRC is standard, I'm keeping my 5th gen.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 PM   #5
MemBluff23

Drives: 19 Camaro SS
Cool!! I definitely want those wheel in available!!

Last edited by MemBluff23; 02-10-2016 at 06:20 AM.
MemBluff23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #6

Drives: I have a bike.
Wait...1SS only?
233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #7
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Only on 1SS?? I'm out. Bummer! I get it though. It was originally a stripper on the 3rd and 4th generation.
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
No auto on the ss? Just making sure.
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUMMIT WHITE SS View Post
FIRST!!!

Hot damn! Those wheels!

No mention of price?!

V6 option is odd...

When can I order?!
They're even more gorgeous in person...Truly wonderful-looking wheels.

No word of price.

They felt there's a portion of the segment that would like a serious track-capable V6.

Summer of this year.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 233 View Post
Wait...1SS only?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric SS View Post
Only on 1SS?? I'm out. Bummer! I get it though. It was originally a stripper on the 3rd and 4th generation.
Correct, it's only available on the 1SS, and there are limited options beyond that point. They felt this combination of parts equalled the right amount of weight management and performance equipment to get the car to go around a track just as fast as it can.

The package includes a HUD, a leather rear seats (to match the look of the Recaros) and you can get navigation, so I'm told. The Spectrum lighting and knee pads are still accessory options...but, no heated seats, wheel, memory, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiting46 View Post
No auto on the ss? Just making sure.
Correct. Manual-only, like the last generation 1LE.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #11
camaro6007

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS/ looking a SS 1LE
Nice i will order a 17 1LE and add to soon 16 2.0T on order being built next week!
camaro6007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #12
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
So no A8 option? I'm surprised.

edit: Booo Goodyear tires. I hope they're better than the ones they put on the 5th gen. I hated those tires. Should've offered Michelins.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
Eric SS
#becauseracecar

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2016 Camaro SS
Also, since it's only on 1SS, no HUD? That's a good track tool.

EDIT: never mind, I see it is available. I might be back in. But no Bose. Hmmm..
Eric SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:17 PM   #14
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
No auto and no 2SS, definitely not going to be an option for me. But that's ok I wouldn't put it to enough use anyway. Hopefully we can get some of these items from the parts bin later.

MRC standard, that's going to be a mistake. They should have gave an option for the LTG to get the package too, but glad the LGX guys are getting some love this time.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2016 camaro, 2016 camaro 1le, 2017 camaro, 2017 camaro 1le, 6th gen camaro 1le, camaro 1le, camaro 1le 6th gen, camaro forum, camaro forums