Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Phastek Performance

Old 03-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
MRLZL1LE

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE 6MT
Ceramic coating polish?

Is there a product to use on top of the ceramic coating that won't hurt it? I wash and everything looks good but the black always has some water droplets dry somewhere that piss me off.

What's everyone using?
MRLZL1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
CarPro Essence Plus is the product you are looking for. It is a ceramic coating polish to repair coatings. You can use it to polish out water spots.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRLZL1LE View Post
Is there a product to use on top of the ceramic coating that won't hurt it? I wash and everything looks good but the black always has some water droplets dry somewhere that piss me off.

What's everyone using?
Yes, we have several si02 products that you can apply over coatings.
Spray Ceramic, Ceramic Boost, Liquid Ceramic Wax, Ceramic Paste wax & CS3.

https://adamspolishes.com/collections/sio2-infused
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:24 AM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRLZL1LE View Post

What's everyone using?
My first car was black, and I won't be doing that again unless I do full-car PPF.

That said, water spots will always be a problem on a black car. Ceramic coatings can make them much harder to get off, requiring acid removal and/or mechanical polishing.

The only way to 100% guarantee no water spots is to remove the water before it can dry on the car. While this works for my show/weekend ride, this is a pipe dream a DD. So we start with the best solution: Pooling rinse > blow dry with a battery leaf blower to blow dry the car after washing. And those of you like me who are OCD will also wash/rinse/dry on demand in the rare occasion the car gets stuck in the rain on the way home from the car show/cruise/beach to the garage.

The next best solution is to minimize the amount of water that is left on the car to dry. This can be done via hydrophobic coatings. Most ceramic coatings are hydrophobic to an extent. But they are also mineral-philic, causing them to increase the severity of water spotting.

What you want is a pure hydrophobic topper that is not mineral-philic. There are literally dozens on the market. I personally use a blend of 1 part Carpro Reload diluted into 5 parts distilled water. Dilution is important to avoid streaking on the coating (like putting cooking oil in a non-stick pan... it beads up). The distilled water is the key to avoid water spotting (it also is "good chemistry practice" as reduces the probability of undesirable reactions between hard water minerals with the Reload).

I have also experimented with Adams Ceramic Spray which lasted about 8 months on my non-ceramic-coated daily driver. I was very skeptical of their claims at first, but the product worked as advertised for me. More on this topic in this thread.

During application, I did notice that the Adams Ceramic Spray smelled very strongly of ammonia. Most ceramic coatings are acid safe but not base safe and most say to avoid high-pH detergents. Some ammonium-xxxx pixie dust is probably the main reason for its longevity, as it likely uses the ammonia to reduce oxidized paint for better bonding. But being strongly basic (high pH), it may interact in undesirable ways with a ceramic coating. So I would be cautious about using ACS on a freshly ceramic-coated car unless the ceramic coating MFR recommended it as a topper.

Another long lasting option are durable hydrophobic coatings like Gtechniq EXO. $70 per bottle and lasts 2+ years. This stuff has to be seen to be believed. See pics here:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/attac...1&d=1526910555

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...&postcount=301

At 32 months it still looks just as good as it did when these were taken.

Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote