Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 AM   #1
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
My Shuddering A8 Problem is Back

My shuddering problem in my automatic 8 speed RS has returned. It was good for about 4K miles after the tranny flush at 2 K miles and has returned worse than even before. The tach will not stay steady, goes up and down and it feels like you are going over rumble strips. It only does it when the car reaches full operating temperature- after 20 minutes of driving. I only have 6K miles on the car after a year but as of 2 weeks ago it is my daily driver commuter car and I will get something much faster and powerful as my weekend car. I was even thinking about a second Camaro- an SS but will not any more.

Love the car- it's a great commuter with really great gas mileage and it runs on regular fuel keeping my gas cost down as I drive 100 miles a day to and from work. But this is frustrating. I am going to call the dealer today and they will need to get me a loaner.

Anyone else have it come back- what did the dealer do next? They told me after the flush if it returned they would need to replace the torque converter or entire transmission.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
I just had my fluid flushed 2k miles ago and it seemed to "fix" it, but I am worried about it coming back

If it happens again, i guess we get a new torque converter?

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #3
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
first "fix" is the triple flush with new fluid. Next "fix" is supposed to be a new torque converter. But they may have to confirm it by throwing a pico scope on the tranny and seeing a ~20hz vibration coming from it. they may or may not do that, but if they do, and confirm it, they must replace the torque converter.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #4
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Yep my dealer told me if it returns it will require a new converter. I had the problem at 4K miles and I only drive about 4K per year. I am sure glad I got the extended warranty because it is like driving a ticking time bomb waiting for the possible return like you are experiencing. I will get rid of it before the extended warranty runs out because I don't trust it.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #5
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Mine is coming back too. Had the triple flush @ 13k miles. Now I'm at 17k and it has started again.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #6
Balzdeep

Drives: Wicked Fast
My Dad’s c7 stingray needed a dealer reflash to get auto working correctly.
Balzdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Best bet take it to the dealership and see what they say.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #8
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
The flush didn’t work for me. So I got a new torque converter and cross my fingers it’s all good now. It’s been about 5,00 miles.
Although, in v4 mode it still does it.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:39 AM   #9
speedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsChristianInHD View Post
The flush didn’t work for me. So I got a new torque converter and cross my fingers it’s all good now. It’s been about 5,00 miles.
Although, in v4 mode it still does it.
How long did they have to keep your car when they swapped the TC ? Did they give you a dealership loaner?

Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #10
NEGXXIS

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS A10
they installed a new converter in mine and flushed it at the same time, been perfect for over 7000 miles so far.
SOLD 2019 Camaro SS -Wrapped in Matte Magnectic Black - Anderson Carbon Hood and Rear Spoiler – Ikon front spoiler – OEM ZL1 Side Rockers - ZL1 Addons Diffuser - BMR 1.0” Lowering Springs - MRR 228 Wheels 20x10 and 20x11
RIP 2016 Camaro SS https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565453
SOLD 2010 Camaro SS Featured in GM High Tech Performance and Camaro Now Magazines - http://www.superchevy.com/features/g...of-perfection/
NEGXXIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #11
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
The dealer completely blew me off, said to just drive the car and live with it, they could maybe look at it in August they are so backed up with the automatic transmission issues. And they are just going to do another flush, no new converter. This needs to be a recall. I guess it's time to go car shopping. Never will I buy a GM or automatic transmission again. Never had problems with my Hondas, Mazdas or Subarus.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #12
speedup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT58 View Post
The dealer completely blew me off, said to just drive the car and live with it, they could maybe look at it in August they are so backed up with the automatic transmission issues. And they are just going to do another flush, no new converter. This needs to be a recall. I guess it's time to go car shopping. Never will I buy a GM or automatic transmission again. Never had problems with my Hondas, Mazdas or Subarus.
If mine starts to do it again im seriously considering trading it for a 2018 musty gt convertible. I have this issue, npp exhaust has been replaced, lots of weird rattles, noises and quirks. Now the rear end groans when making tight turns in parking lot.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
Quote:
that sounds like you need to get gm corporate involved. I'm not sure I'd try that dealership again, but I'd definitely let someone know of their unprofessionality. Gm can also give you other dealers that are trustworthy and help get your problem solved.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:15 PM   #14
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
Quote:
My dealer said they would only do the flush 1 time then replace the converter if it recurred. Go to another dealer. GM has this issue with their other cars with the A8 so I don't doubt they are busy. GM automatics do suck. I should have bought a manual and saved some money to boot.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote