Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 07-15-2018, 08:28 PM   #1
MaTTiMeX

Drives: Chevy Cruze
Looking to purchase a Camaro

Good evening everyone,

New too these forums. I have been looking into purchasing a 2018 1LT Camaro V6 and just wondering a few things.

I was wondering how they do in the snow? Could I use it in the winter? Is it a vehicle I should really only drive when there is no snow?

I'm really excited to own one but I have to weigh options due to a good 130KM commute daily for work if they aren't good during the winter at all I will have to look into options.
MaTTiMeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 PM   #2
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Are you getting a manual? if so great choice. Do not get one with the 20 inch wheel upgrade, the 18 inchers are all season and not really a low profile tire, the low profile 20 inch tires are wide and stiff and not all season tires, they will suck in the winter. The Manual cars are all posi traction cars, they have no AFM (thank god) and have a weather driving mode that makes the throttle very unsensitive, which is perfect for winter driving. I live in snowy cold Connecticut, the car is great in all weather including snow. Love it. My 2016 1LT V6 manual gets 32 MPG with the a/c on during hi way summer driving. Cannot say enough other than the Automatic trans car may not be as good and the auto trans car has AFM that you cannot shut off and non posi rear ends.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #3
MaTTiMeX

Sadly I was looking at automatic as I cannot drive manual. (Wish I had taken the time to learn before), though when I was looking it does that the option of the Snow/Ice driving mode(Does it make a big difference?). I was planning on getting just the plain 18 (I think the 20 inch here in Canada cost a bunch more) inch tires and even possibly getting another set of rims with winters instead.

The other issue i've heard is that being a sports vehicle there is very low clearance from the ground making it an issue in any sort of snow coverage on the ground. I live in Ontario, Canada just for reference.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
LuvMI
Lovin the growl...

Drives: 2018 2SS
I had a new 2lt with 20’ wheel package and it came with all season tires from Chevy. I also bought a set of $1300 18’ chrome rims when I had a 2.0 for about 3 months before then, so if you do go 18’ make sure it’s what you’ll truly want later because I wish I had that $1300 back and not 4 chrome 18’ door stoppers cluttering my garage. Just sayin...

BTW not much snow in in the south but I had no issues with cold days. Automatic can have its pros as well. Never too late to learn both.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
MaTTiMeX

For sure never too late, but i'd rather not with a beautiful new camaro either. Haha. If I can drive it for one winter and then buy a beater next year as a winter car it might make a difference if I can get one or not. I've only ever driven FWD but I am also a very cautious and careful driver as is even in the winter 'cause I grew up and learned to drive up in the snow belt in Ontario.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Hoopster3

Drives: NFM 1SS
I would say if you're looking at getting a sporty car and are worried about driving a RWD vehicle in your weather...then I would say look elsewhere. Not saying it can't be done, but with that far of a drive and the weather you get, I would get something else.

I live in Iowa and while our winters aren't as bad as you get, we've still gotten up to 17" on snow from one storm just this past winter. I have driven many vehicles in the snow and if you're wanting a sporty car and good driveability in all conditions I would look at a Subaru Impreza WRX which would come standard with AWD.

Just my .02.
Hoopster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:17 PM   #7
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
I haven't had my 6th gen very long, but my experience with my 5th gen 2LT V6 was it was lousy in the snow and rain. RWD means your traction in snow and ice is bad. Although the tires aren't as wide as the V8 models, they are still wider than most and wider tires means they can't dissipate water as quickly. When your tires can't move the water out quickly enough, you hydroplane. Slowing way down on wet roads is essential and far more so than with a normal passenger car. Tire design and tread depth is critical. I replace my tires religiously at 5/32 even though they are legal to 3/32. Anything less than 5/32 and hydroplaning became untenable even at slow speeds. I never got much more than 20K miles on a set of tires with my 5th gen 2LT. Snow and ice was incredibly treacherous, although I drive year round on one set of tires. Not much snow and ice in Texas, thankfully.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 08:12 AM   #8
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTiMeX View Post
Sadly I was looking at automatic as I cannot drive manual. (Wish I had taken the time to learn before), though when I was looking it does that the option of the Snow/Ice driving mode(Does it make a big difference?). I was planning on getting just the plain 18 (I think the 20 inch here in Canada cost a bunch more) inch tires and even possibly getting another set of rims with winters instead.

The other issue i've heard is that being a sports vehicle there is very low clearance from the ground making it an issue in any sort of snow coverage on the ground. I live in Ontario, Canada just for reference.
The base 1LT comes with 18 inch all season tires that have sidewall height and a narrower tread. Wide tread and stiff short sidewall is terrible for cold weather and snow and are harsh. Can you get at least get a positrac rear end? The snow/ice mode makes a huge difference and driving thru snow/slippery conditions is effortless because throttle response is very muted. Ground clearance is also aided by the 18 inch tall sidewall 50 series tire, the Camaro with 18 inch 50 series tire is not low to the ground plenty of clearance.. 20 inch low profile wide tires hydroplane also.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #9
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcowboy View Post
I haven't had my 6th gen very long, but my experience with my 5th gen 2LT V6 was it was lousy in the snow and rain. RWD means your traction in snow and ice is bad. Although the tires aren't as wide as the V8 models, they are still wider than most and wider tires means they can't dissipate water as quickly. When your tires can't move the water out quickly enough, you hydroplane. Slowing way down on wet roads is essential and far more so than with a normal passenger car. Tire design and tread depth is critical. I replace my tires religiously at 5/32 even though they are legal to 3/32. Anything less than 5/32 and hydroplaning became untenable even at slow speeds. I never got much more than 20K miles on a set of tires with my 5th gen 2LT. Snow and ice was incredibly treacherous, although I drive year round on one set of tires. Not much snow and ice in Texas, thankfully.
The 245 50 18 tire on the 6th gen have a very deep tread 12/32 compared to a 20 inch wider more performance orientated tire with less thread depth. The 6th gen is also 300 lbs lighter, and tracks in the rain perfectly with no issues at all. My car is a daily driver in cold, wet, snowy, and hot summer time Connecticut.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:45 AM   #10
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Good evening everyone,

New too these forums. I have been looking into purchasing a 2018 1LT Camaro V6 and just wondering a few things.

I was wondering how they do in the snow? Could I use it in the winter? Is it a vehicle I should really only drive when there is no snow?

I'm really excited to own one but I have to weigh options due to a good 130KM commute daily for work if they aren't good during the winter at all I will have to look into options.
I can help you my man.
I drove mine in the winter. It’s my only car, now I live in Ohio so might be a bit different. I have had no issues in the winter, snow and ice mode saves you. The 20in rims with the all seasons did fine for me. Just make sure after every winter storm and the temps move up from 20 to 40+ get the under carriage and the entire car washed! If you have to do it 2 times a week it’s still worth it. Make sure you wax and polish as much as you can. In the winter after my long days at work, I’ll wax my car at least every 2 weeks. Otherwise, I’d get a clear bra or face cover for the car to save the front, and (sadly from last winter) the rear quarter panels near the rear wheels gets chips a lot on the plastic part. Get a touch up pen for any chips that occur on the metal, fill them quickly.
Good news is most of the car is aluminum, plastic and galvanized steel. The hood and the front fenders I believe are aluminum. The front and rear bumpers are plastic. If you’re worried about rust long term, just clean and polish and wax.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:

Ontario’s a big province. I grew up in Buffalo (across the Niagara River from Fort Erie, 15 miles from Niagara Falls) and live in Detroit (across the Detroit River from Windsor). And that’s just the southern part of Ontario.

I have a ‘17 SS Convertible. It’s on 20” Eagles and sat in the garage most of the winter. Only came out on dry >45 degree days. If you get 18” all weather tires you might have a chance in under 2 - 3” of snow. Beyond that, I wouldn’t chance it. Not sure about northern Ontario, but prospects don’t seem good.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 07-16-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #12
brandonms2ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I would say rent one for a day from a rental company. See how it feels & then you should be able to see how liveable it is.
brandonms2ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Ontario’s a big province. I grew up in Buffalo (across the Niagara River from Fort Erie, 15 miles from Niagara Falls) and live in Detroit (across the Detroit River from Windsor). And that’s just the southern part of Ontario.

I have a ‘17 SS Convertible. It’s on 20” Eagles and sat in the garage most of the winter. Only came out on dry >45 degree days. If you get 18” all whether tires you might have chance in under 2 - 3” of snow. Beyond that, I wouldn’t chance it. Not sure about northern Ontario, but prospects don’t seem good.
Exactly, that's because the difference between a SS with 20 inch low profile wide eagles and a V6 car with all season deep tread skinny 245 50 18 rubber is like night and day in snow, rain and cold. Plus the V6 doesn't have the torque the V8 has and instant torque is what causes wheel spin. The V6 Camaro you have to work to spin the rear tires, its that sure footed. A SS is useless in the winter and snow.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:16 PM   #14
lt4camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonms2ss View Post
I would say rent one for a day from a rental company. See how it feels & then you should be able to see how liveable it is.
Great idea, but it take a couple of days and 500-600 miles to see how liveable or not liveable a car really is.