Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-15-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
RageWorx

Drives: 2016 1SS A8 Camaro with MRC and NPP
2020 MKV A90 Supra first 10 sec 1/4 mile !!

Well that didn't take long LOL.

10.7 at 128mph with 1.62 60ft. Car in the other lane was a Gen 3 CTSV for reference ran a 11.7 at 117.
https://www.facebook.com/1067955864/...7626800076310/

As to be expected list of mods isn't 100% clear yet but from what I know:

Race Gas + E85 tune, Down Pipe, Drag radials, Meth kit.

Unconfirmed but rumored mods - Nitrous, weight reduction (pass seat removed).

Either way these cars are already making 500 rwhp with a Race Gas/E85 tune and downpipe only!

Also this version of the BMW B58 engine (TU revision) has completely forged internals from the factory and a closed deck block so should be more fun left in it.

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
2003 SVT Cobra Coupe (just your average KB Terminator Cobra).
2013 Focus ST (e30 Tuned).
2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins Dually 6 spd manual (tow rig).
1997 Jeep Cherokee (Lifted and Locked XJ off-road rig).
RageWorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Everyone can knock on the Supra as much as they want for just being a Toyota skinned BMW. But it's helluva performer.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
triggerjerk

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
Race gas.
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #4
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I care about how good the shock damping is as well as body/chassis control.

You can go fast in a straight line all you want, but if it does not deliver on the shock damping and chassis balance, then it is a failure.

If they use BMW tuning for their shocks, it will not be impressive.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
RageWorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I care about how good the shock damping is as well as body/chassis control.

You can go fast in a straight line all you want, but if it does not deliver on the shock damping and chassis balance, then it is a failure.

If they use BMW tuning for their shocks, it will not be impressive.
You are correct some people have commented that it was a bit soft and would roll a bit in the curves but nothing that was unmanageable and actually helped chassis communication and mechanical grip was at a very high level.

These MKV Supras are beating up M2 Comps on the road coarse and that's while it's also being very softly setup for the road rides very nice great road car. Image one with correct suspension for the track and the chassis rigidity is very high with this car.

Honesty I'm sort of surprised and pleased by the strait line performance as tuning has progressed so far it's a Bonus.

-Jon
2016 HB Camaro 1SS A8 with MRC and NPP 398rwhp/389tq stock #s(11.84 @ 117 DR only, ECS boost 550rwhp/510tq (dynapack #s) , same boost + AEM water/meth + ARH Headers/mids 600 rwhp+ (dynojet #s) TTP)10.8 @ 129.
2020 Ford Explorer
Old 08-16-2019, 09:31 AM   #6
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
While I am impressed with the supra, those times are to be expected.

Pretty much any turbo car can knock 1.5 seconds off the stock quarter mile time with those mods.

Impressive, but not a shocker like say, an rs3, which is in the 10's with just a tune.

I'd think with fbo, good driver/tires, e85, and a turbo upgrade probably looking at low 10's with the supra. But that's really the same ball park as any modern car that run's mid/low 12's stock, including the camaro and mustang.

I think the awesome part is that it can actually handle well, that's not nearly as easy to fix as straight line performance. (well it is but it's not easy to do it while keeping it comfortable on the street).

Cliffs = camaro 2ss performance and interior for $10k more. But with a different character. Still impressive and just gives people another alternative

Last edited by GuywithL86; 08-16-2019 at 09:52 AM.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #7
RageWorx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuywithL86 View Post
While I am impressed with the supra, those times are to be expected.

Pretty much any turbo car can knock 1.5 seconds off the stock quarter mile time with those mods.

Impressive, but not a shocker like say, an rs3, which is in the 10's with just a tune.

I'd think with fbo, good driver/tires, e85, and a turbo upgrade probably looking at low 10's with the supra. But that's really the same ball park as any modern car that run's mid/low 12's stock, including the camaro and mustang.

Its not always that easy for every turbo car would say that delta performance increase is not the norm for all of them. The RS3 punches well above its weight class/price range in strait line lol

Though now its starting to look like this car might start to match the RS3 mod for mod (which is better than I thought the RS3 is a great benchmark) and don't forgot the RS3 doesn't handle that great stock so the MKV already beats the RS3 at that so if its even close in strait line then thats a Bonus for the MKV.

The RS3s that I have seen run 10s at ATCO have had a few more mods than tune only usually just E85/RaceGas tune, Sometimes Meth, intake, and downpipe the RS3s are solid mid to high 10 second cars (not saying 10s with tune only hasn't happened but its Not the Norm) ... add a tire to that (for rwd not awd duh) and you basically have the current state for the MKV and they are just getting started. Stock turbo should get near 550 rwhp with Meth on the MKV which is more than the RS3 can do on stock turbo but both have strong very boost happy engines.

I have been thinking about picking up a RS3 and this car has been changing my mind now lol (I want another turbo car). Both awesome modern turbo cars with a ton of potential.

-Jon
2020 Ford Explorer
Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
GuywithL86

Drives: Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageWorx View Post
Its not always that easy for every turbo car would say that delta performance increase is not the norm for all of them. The RS3 punches well above its weight class/price range in strait line lol

Though now its starting to look like this car might start to match the RS3 mod for mod (which is better than I thought the RS3 is a great benchmark) and don't forgot the RS3 doesn't handle that great stock so the MKV already beats the RS3 at that so if its even close in strait line then thats a Bonus for the MKV.

The RS3s that I have seen run 10s at ATCO have had a few more mods than tune only usually just E85/RaceGas tune, Sometimes Meth, intake, and downpipe the RS3s are solid mid to high 10 second cars (not saying 10s with tune only hasn't happened but its Not the Norm) ... add a tire to that (for rwd not awd duh) and you basically have the current state for the MKV and they are just getting started. Stock turbo should get near 550 rwhp with Meth on the MKV which is more than the RS3 can do on stock turbo but both have strong very boost happy engines.

I have been thinking about picking up a RS3 and this car has been changing my mind now lol (I want another turbo car). Both awesome modern turbo cars with a ton of potential.

-Jon

you're correct, just did a little more research on them and seems like it takes similar mods to supra to get to 10's.

As for buying one or the other. We get a ton of rain in jersey. I mean not so much in inches as just number of days with a slippery surface. AWD is huge in this climate, especially for a car that runs 10's. IMO, just a weekend car, supra. If it's a DD, rs3 no contest.

Also consider model 3 performance if it's a DD. They just dropped down to $55k. But figure $60k with options. It is so much fun to drive, especially in jersey with all the stop signs and traffic lights. I don't think any car is more fun to run errands in.

It is absolutely pathetic on the highway though. It's about as much fun as WOT in a v6 accord on the highway. The real perk to the model 3 is that after like 5 years of ownership, the model 3 will have a total cost of ownership of like $20k, and a tuned rs3 is probably more like $60k.
GuywithL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #9
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Quote:
Originally Posted by RageWorx View Post

-Jon
RS3.... word
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #10
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
So they are able to tune these things? Does anyone know what aftermarket tuning solutions they have?

It looks like GM cars, which used to be designed as the most "tune friendly" vehicles are not the most tune unfriendly vehicles. I believe the 2019 camaros are still tuneable, im not so sure that the 2020s might have the new ECM with the locked bootloader. Next gens will all be on global B with completely encrypted data bus structure and any tuning will basically be non existent. Even the 2019 trucks are untunable, they have the new ECM as well.

It actually appears BMWs have a better aftermarket than we have, especially when it comes to BCM and non performance modifications.

It makes me wish wouldnt have bought my new camaro and supported a more tune friendly manufacturer. Unfortunately all tuning will be nonexistent for new cars pretty soon with all the do gooder driverless cars in the cloud.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:09 PM   #11
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
There's youtube video from Papadakis Racing tear down on one of these engines. They are aiming for 1000hp. About half way there from factory.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:25 AM   #12
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I had no idea those were that fast. They are a nice looking car, but with only 335hp, I didn't pay too much attention at first. Looks like you can't get one for under 50k though.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:47 AM   #13
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Remember that 335 is wheel HP, not crank (and 420+ ft-lbs at the wheels). And it's rumored to be underrated.

And FWIW, I drove a Z4 vert and while it's a fine car in its own right, it wasn't a better driving experience than The Mistress. And nevermind the looks
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:18 PM   #14
Mrbobcat

Drives: 2016 Mustang GT premium
I'm pretty sure the rated hp and tq of 335 and 365 is at the crank, although it does look to be underrated quite a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the whp is pretty close to those numbers.
Mrbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote