Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-24-2021, 08:30 AM   #1
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Weird vibration and clunk

I have a steering wheel vibration from 60-75 mph but it goes away with light braking. I have had the tires balanced already which I thought might help but knew it wouldn’t fix it. It also has a weird clunk and feeling when letting of the brake at a stop like something is loose in the front end. I shook around the front end and everything feels tight.
I’ve known people have had problems with tie rods with the slightest play causing problems (my car is just under 80k miles with all original suspension)
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 08:46 AM   #2
mickss

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS-M6 67 Chevelle Wgn
Take it to a qualified brake shop, it sounds like the problem is with the front brakes.
mickss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:36 AM   #3
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
I have a steering wheel vibration from 60-75 mph but it goes away with light braking. I have had the tires balanced already which I thought might help but knew it wouldn’t fix it. It also has a weird clunk and feeling when letting of the brake at a stop like something is loose in the front end. I shook around the front end and everything feels tight.
I’ve known people have had problems with tie rods with the slightest play causing problems (my car is just under 80k miles with all original suspension)
I had a similar problem with mine. When I replaced the tie rods amonst a lot of other parts replaced (trial and error) it fixed almost all of the vibration. But I didn't have a clunk sound when letting off the brake.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Sounds like your motor mounts. There's 2 of them made mostly out of rubber. I had mine replaced at about 130,000 miles. I had bad clunking and strange noises.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #5
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickss View Post
Take it to a qualified brake shop, it sounds like the problem is with the front brakes.
That’s what I’m thinking also. I’m replacing the brakes and rotors all around soon anyway so maybe that’s it ( only have 3mm worth of brakes left on all 4) then will see afterwards
2012 Camaro 2SS/RS - CSP Custom Cam 232/240 .615/.615 113 +3, Texas speed CNC heads, FTI billet triple disc converter, K&N cai, Katech ported TB, GPI Ported/rod modded manifold, Texas speed 1 7/8 headers, HFC, Flowmaster 2 chambers with x pipe, Mishimoto CC, MSD wires, Roto fab washer relocation, tru cool 40k trans cooler, apex scoop, Pedders extreme coil overs and much more!!
Old 04-25-2021, 07:23 AM   #6
Bigdumogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
Sounds like your motor mounts. There's 2 of them made mostly out of rubber. I had mine replaced at about 130,000 miles. I had bad clunking and strange noises.
Defiantly not the motor mounts since it’s not rpm related but brake related.