Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 05-19-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
CamaroSS50

Drives: 2017 Camaro Convertible SS Fifty
Need Advice... (extended warranty)

It has been forever since I have been on this board, but my bumper to bumper warranty is coming to an end next week.

I hesitated on buying the extended because I have a convertible and none of the options out cover the top...

Looking for some advice.

Thanks to the lockdown, still under 7K miles on the vehicle.

CamaroSS50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS50 View Post
It has been forever since I have been on this board, but my bumper to bumper warranty is coming to an end next week.

I hesitated on buying the extended because I have a convertible and none of the options out cover the top...

Looking for some advice.

Thanks to the lockdown, still under 7K miles on the vehicle.
The most critical question would be: "Do you plan to mod?"
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
CamaroSS50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
The most critical question would be: "Do you plan to mod?"
No.

It is just the darn top that is a concern.

Already had it replaced 2x (bought new in mid May 2018).

And the quarter panels 3x on each side.

My current issues include the A8 shudder and the battery has been an issue for the last 18 months.

All this with under 7K miles on the odo....

Old 05-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I tend to skip extended warranties on most everything. If my car has been trouble free low miles or not I'd skip spending the money for more warranty coverage. The big ticket stuff still should have some powertrain warranty left anyway (power train = 5 years/60 K miles).

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:33 PM   #5
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
It's cheap insurance.. i added plan plan 4 years and 60,000 miles, 0 deduc for $1500. I had one oil pump fail, so if engine decides to eat itself,... i'm covered.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:57 PM   #6
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
No.

My current issues include the A8 shudder and the battery has been an issue for the last 18 months.

Sorry to hear over your issues, this is exactly why I picked up a coupe with no options. We are dealing with lower tier cheaper sports/pony car here. The highest quality components were never utilized in this application. I would historically expect most convertible camaros, mustangs and hell, even corvettes and vipers to have continuous complications with ragtops. Even some of the high end luxurious convertibles (soft or hard top) have their fair share of issues.

Last edited by LT1ornothing; 05-19-2021 at 08:22 PM.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #7
CamaroSS50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
Sorry to hear over your issues, this is exactly why I picked up a coupe with no options. We are dealing with lower tier cheaper sports/pony car here. The highest quality components were never utilized in this application. I would historically expect most convertible camaros, mustangs and hell, even corvettes and vipers to have continuous complications with ragtops. Even some of the high end luxurious convertibles (soft or hard top) have their fair share of issues.
Not sure what plagues other models, but in the case of the Camaro there are 2 things:

1- The back window glue starts to lose its grip or de-laminates. It can't be re-glued, the entire top has to be replaced.
2- The inside back panels. The plastic slides back to allow the top to fold down, then closes. It is so poorly made, that the sliding door does not slide and the convertible arm rips the panel up.

Other than that, as long as the weather is 55º or better (not raining, etc.), top is always down...

Old 05-19-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
I used to be a sales manager at circuit city back in the day. selling an item with the extended warranty we used to call that "getting the cheese"..... that's where the margins were.

in most cases it's a cash grab and if you do buy one, read the fine print VERY carefully. there's a LOT of exclusions in most of them.

I'm with 1LE in that 'vert tops are a whole different maintenance issue. buddy many years ago had a mercedes droptop and he went through 2 tops and 3 rear windows in the 10 years we worked together.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:19 AM   #9
SixgenSix

Drives: 2020 SHOCK SS 1LE
These extended "warranties" are actually mechanical breakdown protection plans with deductible options. Check with your auto insurance carrier or insurance agent as they might have one of these plans in house. I am a Mercury Insurance agent and Mercury Insurance offers mechanical break down protection plans. You are correct though these plans do not cover convertible tops.

Electric convertible top motors is covered though.

I bought mechanical breakdown protection plan for my 1LE only because I would know exactly how to use it to its full potential because I actually sell these plans and know the in's and out's.
SixgenSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:43 AM   #10
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Waste of money. Power-train is 5 years. My current Camaro is a 2016 2ss. Only 21,500 miles and I don't worry about it.

Even my 2012 Mustang GT I bought new in 2011 I didn't buy one. Only issues with the car was replacing batteries.

I'll likely buy my next car new. I figure after the powertain warranty is up I'll be trading it anyway being 5 years old.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:07 AM   #11
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
No.

If there are no options that would cover the top and that is your main concern, then I don't think getting an extended warranty is worth it.

For the shudder and battery, I would have these taken care of before you are up on your warranty.

You then need to decide if you want to keep the car beyond the warranty after that.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:29 AM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Waste of money in my opinion but if it will ease your mind about parts breaking or failing then it might be a good idea! If you do get one check the fine print of the warranty to see what’s covered and not covered.
Old 05-20-2021, 07:51 AM   #13
Camaro fanboy

Drives: 2017 2SS Arctic blue fully loaded
i'm getting one for mine
200 USD a year. covers almost everything
Old 05-20-2021, 08:20 AM   #14
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
5 years ago I would jump on the 'not worth it' bandwagon too.

With my current Jeep and all the tech it has, there is no way I will keep the vehicle without a warranty. If I plan to keep it, I will get an extended warranty. Replacing air-ride suspension doesnt sound cheap, and that's the tip of the berg.

Tags
warranty camaro