Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-23-2020, 10:54 PM   #15
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Oil is cheaper than a motor...
A-friggin-MEN! This has been my motto for 40 years... The ONE time I fogot it I ended up with a motor going though a quart of oil every 600 miles! NO THANK YOU! NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!!

My 2020 2SS is getting an oil AND Diff fluid change at 500 miles, 1,500 mile and 4,500 miles... Does it REALLY need it for a non-tracked car??? Probably not, but it is the most conservative maintenance schedule I could find and the $300 or so investment is WELL worth it to protect my $50k car... ABSOLUTELY!!!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:16 PM   #16
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
it says it meets the spec its fine. they had to pay GM alot of money to put that label on there oil.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #17
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
I NEVER said more expensive means it is better. I just said its not more expensive just becuase of greed. Just because an oil meets dexos cert. has little to do with the actual quality. It just means it passed GMs test to run in their vehicles.
So, re-read what you just stated. "Just because an oil meets the dexos cert it has little to do with the quality. It just means it passed GM's test.

If it passed the test, it does have something to do with the quality, because, it, uh, passed the test, right? And that means it can be safely used in that motor with no adverse effects, huh?

Quote:
There are so many different additive packages, anti-wear additives, etc that each manufacture uses that an oil testing lab will be able to verify for you. You should test TBN to get a better idea as well. To say "sams club oil" is anywhere near on the same playing field as say... amsoil, mobil 1, penzoil platiunum, etc is laughable.
Do you have any comparison tests I can read? Until then, they all meet the same minimum standard set by the manufacturer. And, even AFTER I read it, they ALL meet the minimum standard set by the manufacturer.

Quote:
Its kinda like saying a fram oil filter is the same as a mobil 1 or amsoil filter. Yea, i mean, they all just filter oil right? Its not like 1 is made with cardboard endcaps and a shitty bypass and glue and the others with a much better filter media and can last a yr and 10k +miles and a thinker casing.
Why do I need an oil filter that lasts 10K when I change my oil every 5k? As long as the filter performs at the manufacturers' specs is what is necessary.

Do I need a better filter media at the expense of oil volume and pressure?
Would that require a larger filter to hold more media? What about your fancy super filter plugging up the media quicker and causing the bypass to pop and then I get NO filtration. Or the restrictive media causing a partial bypass. How would that be helpful to engine longevity?

Quote:
You get what you pay for and if you dont care about your 40k car then nobody else will. Oil is cheaper than a motor...
I'd agree with you if the guy were asking if he could put API grade SA 20w non-detergent oil in his ride motor.

Dexros2 oil is Dexros2 oil and will not hurt the motor in any way.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:27 PM   #18
Whocares05050

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
So, re-read what you just stated. "Just because an oil meets the dexos cert it has little to do with the quality. It just means it passed GM's test.

If it passed the test, it does have something to do with the quality, because, it, uh, passed the test, right? And that means it can be safely used in that motor with no adverse effects, huh?

Do you have any comparison tests I can read? Until then, they all meet the same minimum standard set by the manufacturer. And, even AFTER I read it, they ALL meet the minimum standard set by the manufacturer.

Why do I need an oil filter that lasts 10K when I change my oil every 5k? As long as the filter performs at the manufacturers' specs is what is necessary.

Do I need a better filter media at the expense of oil volume and pressure?
Would that require a larger filter to hold more media? What about your fancy super filter plugging up the media quicker and causing the bypass to pop and then I get NO filtration. Or the restrictive media causing a partial bypass. How would that be helpful to engine longevity?

I'd agree with you if the guy were asking if he could put API grade SA 20w non-detergent oil in his ride motor.

You're right. What was I thinking? Sams oil reigns supreme!

Spend a little time over at BITOG forums. Who knew we were all wasting so much money on uselss oil when "sams club" had my back.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:27 PM   #19
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
what year Silverado do you have? i dont remember my 2000 Sierra having any. i might be wrong but my 2007 2012 and 2017s dont have any.
2003 C2500HD and a 2005 K3500

I had an 02 C2500HD and it had them too.

There are 11 total. You could probably cock the tires and see the upper BJ fitting pretty easy.

Sometimes the BJ is tapped and threaded but there is a plug screwed in instead of a zerk. I have only occasionally seen that on brands other than GM though.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:30 PM   #20
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
You're right. What was I thinking? Sams oil reigns supreme!

Spend a little time over at BITOG forums. Who knew we were all wasting so much money on uselss oil when "sams club" had my back.
I'm glad you've seen the light!
Old 02-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #21
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Except that it is "Dexos2" not "Dexros2"...

But hey, maybe the Sam's Club oil IS "Dexros2"!

Thank you very much, I'll stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula (Dexos2) for my $18.5K engine (factory recommended)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:40 PM   #22
3.8TransAM

Drives: SS 1LE, 89 TTA, 91 GTA, 91 Formula
Quote:
yep
synthetic is man made not crude.
yes
because the molecules are damaged. It wont meet dexos2 spec.

So much wrong with this molecule damage I won't even bother with it.

Quote:
so you know your 6.2L takes 10qts. its the same bottom bidder oil that comes in a AC Delco bottle.

Must be horrible stuff that GM backs its warranty to.

Quote:
As long as it meets the standard (Dexos2) you are good. The extra cost is for the name brand (i.e. advertising and profits).

We have a winner.

There is a lot wrong with a lot of statements in this thread. Dexos 2 is for all the bullshit catalytic converter requirements we got force fed from the last idiot in office under the 2012 EPA mileage mandates.

ANY MOTOR OIL THE MEETS DEXOS 2 SPEC of the proper weight is more than acceptable. Crazy fact, you could run them on non synthetic and your engine would be fine.......

Please for the love of God, go read up on what qualifies as a synthetic nowadays as I could pee in a bucket and whirl a ball in the pee for 3 minutes and qualify.......

Here is the key parts u need to worry about, proper spec per manufacturer(for your warranty) and changing your oil on schedule or earlier. If you're buying boutique BS oil and changing it every 3k miles you're making yourself poorer.

Think of it like this, everyone fawns over the AC Delco filters because they are the "best", same bottom bidding company will be making the next batch which is different from the last batch :-) (I like Baldwins for constitency personally)
3.8TransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #23
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Quote:
2003 C2500HD and a 2005 K3500

I had an 02 C2500HD and it had them too.

There are 11 total. You could probably cock the tires and see the upper BJ fitting pretty easy.

Sometimes the BJ is tapped and threaded but there is a plug screwed in instead of a zerk. I have only occasionally seen that on brands other than GM though.
i completely forgot about the HD trucks. 1/2 tons dont have any.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:59 AM   #24
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
if its dexos2 labeled its better than walmart supertech. supertech is recycled or at leased it used to be. Its the same oil your dealer would put in if you dont request Mobile1.
I know little to nothing for oil comparisons but I do know that SuperTech Full Synthetic does have the dexos2 label

Seems like all SuperTech oils that are Full Synthetic have the certification now
Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:23 AM   #25
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
If it meets the Dexos2 requirement, it is fine for your Camaro. Your engine does not know what brand of motor oil goes into it, that is largely a feel good thing for owners. Yes, different oils have different additive packages and there are some which are likely “better.” But for day to day driving with regular oil and filter changes you’d be hard pressed to see the difference after 50 thousand miles. Have an oil analysis done after an oil change and see what shows up if you are concerned.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #26
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Except that it is "Dexos2" not "Dexros2"...

But hey, maybe the Sam's Club oil IS "Dexros2"!

Thank you very much, I'll stick with Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP Formula (Dexos2) for my $18.5K engine (factory recommended)
If the best you can do to attempt to disprove an argument or fact is a misspelled word....

As far as sticking with Mobil1, it *might* be a "better oil" than Sam's Club oil.
But, the cheaper oil won't hurt your engine since all the minimum specs are met. (Provided you follow recommended drain intervals).
Old 02-24-2020, 07:03 AM   #27
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I don’t understand all of this arguing about brands of oil to use. If it is Dexos2 and synthetic then you can use it in your engine! I get flack from my friends about using Valvoline instead of Mobil 1 in my ZL1 but it’s fine to use because of the rating. Also I’m hearing that I should switch to 0W-40 instead of using 5W-30 what the engine is supposed to use unless I’m tracking the car. There is too much grumbling and arguing about oil brands and grades in my opinion! Run the brand/grade of oil you want to use and roll on!
Old 02-24-2020, 07:04 AM   #28
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Quote:
i completely forgot about the HD trucks. 1/2 tons dont have any.
Wow! I did not know that the 1/2 tons did away with them. It's been a while since I was a grease monkey...